Author Topic: What style is this?  (Read 241 times)

Offline chaspie

What style is this?
« on: June 12, 2015, 08:13:32 PM »
I recently ate an "Artisan Salami pizza" at the Gordon Biersch restaurant in Plano, Texas.  I really liked it.  The sauce was simple, tasting mainly of tomatoes and a bit of garlic and basil.  The soppresatta had a nice amount of fat flavor, but it wasn't swimming in dripping fat, like many pepperoni pizzas are.  There was a noticeable and welcome saltiness, and some mild spiciness.  I would not personally characterize it as spicy, though.  I think most people could eat this pizza without having to take a Prilosec. 

The crust was fairly thin, with a light airy crumb, the cornice was moderately risen, but pretty soft, and the bottom had a crusty glazed exterior, as though baked in an oiled pan.  I can't recall if the crust was as thin as an NY style, but I don't think so.  The beer I was was drinking may have clouded my perception.  But you would not mistake it for NY style, no matter what, as the texture and flavor was much lighter.

So my question is, what style pizza is this?  Know any good dough recipes?  How should I bake this (type of oven, temperature, pan or stone, etc.)

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
Re: What style is this?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 08:30:09 PM »
The bottom of the pizza sounds like a variation of a bar style pizza that's made in a pan, like Star Tavern, but the other characteristics don't match at all.  I bet if you asked the server about how the pizza is prepared, bake time, etc., you'd get fairly specific answers.  Your opening line could be, "Is there beer in your pizza dough?".
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 09:02:33 PM »
Chuck,

Is this what the crust looked like at http://www.dallasfoodnerd.com/gordon-biersch-unveils-new-seasonal-dishes/

Norma

Offline chaspie

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 11:13:07 PM »
The bottom of the pizza sounds like a variation of a bar style pizza that's made in a pan, like Star Tavern, but the other characteristics don't match at all.  I bet if you asked the server about how the pizza is prepared, bake time, etc., you'd get fairly specific answers.  Your opening line could be, "Is there beer in your pizza dough?".

Yes, but many pan style pizzas I've had have a heavy seared crust.  This one is lightly browned and tender. 

I have a slight acquaintance with one of the cooks, so I'll ask him about the dough next time I see him.

Offline chaspie

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 11:27:16 PM »
Chuck,

Is this what the crust looked like at http://www.dallasfoodnerd.com/gordon-biersch-unveils-new-seasonal-dishes/

Norma

Norma, yes, that is what it looks like.  It is perhaps a touch less glossy than the one in that photo, but with otherwise similar coloration and rise. 

Gordon Biersch is a franchise, and I have only ever been to the one in Plano Texas, so I can't rate them generally.  But this is one of my top favorite places to eat and drink.  Beer brewed on site, excellent pizza, what more could you ask for?

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, this pizza has fresh fennel on it.  I'm going to try that on one of my own pizzas soon.  I'd never have guessed that fresh green fennel could be so delightful on a pizza.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 11:41:43 PM by chaspie »

pizzapan