Author Topic: Pre stretching pizza dough  (Read 286 times)

Offline GregO83

• I Love Pizza!
Pre stretching pizza dough
« on: July 25, 2016, 09:56:22 PM »
Hello all.  I'm having a big party this Saturday and cooking pizzas on my Blackstone for an appetizer.  I'm going to be making about 8 of them.  I have a great dough recipe that I'm very familiar with how it stretches.  I will be cooking a lot of other stuff and stretching is always very messy and time consuming.  I really want to stretch 8 doughs out and put on a pan with some semolina on the bottom and a layer of wax paper on top of each one and stack.  Will the dough dry out and form a crust?  I'm going to do a trial run this Wednesday just to see but I'm curious if there's anything I can do to prevent a crust of the consensus is it will form :)

Thanks so much for any input.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Pre stretching pizza dough
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 11:55:17 PM »
Greg;
How far in advance are we talking about pre-opening the skins? If the time will be fairly short, less than 30-minutes, you can probably get away with it but remember that the dough will be warm when you open it and it will also be actively fermenting so even the semolina flour will most likely be engulfed into the expanding dough potentially causing the waxed paper to stick to the dough. In this regard parchment paper might work better, and better yet would be to very lightly oil each skin to further ensure release from the separating papers. To protect the stack just lightly cover with a piece of cling wrap. I would not recommend trying to put the stack of pre-opened skins in the fridge as this will serve no useful purpose and may in fact, contribute to problems caused by condensation forming (warm dough cold environment) such as a sticky or tacky dough. I've also found it to be beneficial to minimize dough absorption as this will retain better handling properties of the pre-opened skins as you remove them from the stack.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline GregO83

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 07:45:39 AM »
Hey doc! 

Thank you so much for responding.  Your input means a lot!  I was planning to remove the dough from the fridge for an hour to warm a bit and then stretch the skins 3 hours in advance.  From your advice I will lightly flour the bottom of the pan, stretch dough, place on pan, light spray dough, lay parchment paper over and then a loose sheet of cling wrap then repeat.  Should the cling wrap go first?  Do I even need the parchment paper? 

I was going to put all the trays back in the fridge but now I won't. 

Thanks again!

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 12:52:10 AM »
Greg;
The parchment paper will provide insurance should the dough want to stick. Even if it sticks to the parchment paper you can still peel it off but if the skins stick to each other as, they might without parchment paper, you're not going to be able to separate them. Just a loose covering with Saran/stretch wrap will do, you don't want to trap any moisture in the stack, allowing it to ventilate is better than not.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

wordpress