Author Topic: JimmyGs semolina pies  (Read 142 times)

Offline JimmyG

JimmyGs semolina pies
« on: July 26, 2016, 03:56:37 PM »
I was making pizza the other night and though to myself, "Jim, you haven't posted in quite a while...", couple of years it appears lol, "...why not throw your bake up on the forum". Unfortunately, I have been on the go quite a bit the last few years and haven't had the opportunity to make pies like I use to. However, I do bust out the pizza peel when ever I do get the chance so I thought I would share what I made the other night.                 

The dough recipe below is an old favorite / go-to formula for me,  which gets its flavor from a semolina & AP blend (50/50). The dough formula is pretty straight forward:
50% AP
50% Semolina
67% Water
2% Salt
1% Olive oil
25% yeast starter (100% hydration, 50:50 AP-semolina blend)

Wish I could say that I used some funk mixing technique with the dough but cheated and used a food processor instead… pure convenience.

With the dough I made two pies. The first I baked off was a quasi-rianata, a traditional pizza from Sicily made with tomatoes, anchovies, chili flakes, young sheep's milk cheese (caciocavalo) and generously handful of fresh oregano post-bake. Luck would have it that I ran out of anchovies so substituted fish sauce instead, which turned out to be just as tasty with nice pockets of salty MSG goodness. 
The second pizza I made was a white pizza with ricotta, and again, young sheep's milk cheese. I topped this pie with mushrooms, garlic, scallions, and also some fish sauce for the hell of it. This turned out to be a killer pie. Let me tell ya, fish sauce on pizza is pretty darn good, especially paired with mushrooms and garlic.   
Unfortunately, I did not have access to a high temperature oven so the pies were baked off at 500F, blonder than I prefer. I do not think my guests minded one bit, as there were no leftovers for the next day. 

~Jim
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• I Do It For The Guests.
Re: JimmyGs semolina pies
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 07:12:43 PM »
No leftovers is a sign of a job well done.

Btw i'm going to try this formula.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 09:06:50 PM »
Jim,

Good to see your posting again!  Your pies look delicious!

Norma

Offline Jackitup

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 11:20:00 PM »
I was making pizza the other night and though to myself, "Jim, you haven't posted in quite a while...", couple of years it appears lol, "...why not throw your bake up on the forum". Unfortunately, I have been on the go quite a bit the last few years and haven't had the opportunity to make pies like I use to. However, I do bust out the pizza peel when ever I do get the chance so I thought I would share what I made the other night.                 

The dough recipe below is an old favorite / go-to formula for me,  which gets its flavor from a semolina & AP blend (50/50). The dough formula is pretty straight forward:
50% AP
50% Semolina
67% Water
2% Salt
1% Olive oil
25% yeast starter (100% hydration, 50:50 AP-semolina blend)

Wish I could say that I used some funk mixing technique with the dough but cheated and used a food processor instead… pure convenience.

With the dough I made two pies. The first I baked off was a quasi-rianata, a traditional pizza from Sicily made with tomatoes, anchovies, chili flakes, young sheep's milk cheese (caciocavalo) and generously handful of fresh oregano post-bake. Luck would have it that I ran out of anchovies so substituted fish sauce instead, which turned out to be just as tasty with nice pockets of salty MSG goodness. 
The second pizza I made was a white pizza with ricotta, and again, young sheep's milk cheese. I topped this pie with mushrooms, garlic, scallions, and also some fish sauce for the hell of it. This turned out to be a killer pie. Let me tell ya, fish sauce on pizza is pretty darn good, especially paired with mushrooms and garlic.   
Unfortunately, I did not have access to a high temperature oven so the pies were baked off at 500F, blonder than I prefer. I do not think my guests minded one bit, as there were no leftovers for the next day. 

~Jim

Love the crumb on that mushroom pie!!

jon
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady