Author Topic: How long does high gluten flour last  (Read 5480 times)

Offline Grilling24x7

• Grilling 24x7
How long does high gluten flour last
« on: March 13, 2009, 01:33:52 PM »
Hi,
I have a restaurant distributing company very close to where I live and they sell 50 lb bags of General Mills All Trump flour for $18.85.  This was roughly what I was looking to pay for King Arthur's 3 lb bag when shipping is included.

I have found the threads with everyone's opinions on All Trump vs KA and I am satisfied with giving the All Trump a shot.   The problem is that I hate wasting stuff.  50 lb is a lot of flour!  If I put it into numerous ziptop bags how long do you think it will keep?

Thanks!
John

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: How long does high gluten flour last
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 01:57:56 PM »
John,

If a 50 lb. bag of All Trumps will cost you about the same as a 3-lb. bag of King Arthur Sir Lancelot after shipping, you would start coming out ahead after you use three pounds of the All Trumps. Most flours will keep for about 6 months to a year if kept in a cool dry place, but for up to two years if refrigerated. You can always give some of the flour away to friends and family if you can't use the All Trumps fast enough.

Peter

Offline Grilling24x7

• Grilling 24x7
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 02:32:01 PM »
That's a good point, thanks for your input.  My newest problem is that now I'm thinking I want the organic KA flour.  My distributor only sells the 50111 version of the All Trumps which is bleached and brominated.  There's always a catch!

I just called my local Costco and they only carry AP flour! 

It's such a headache to make a good pizza!

Thanks!

John

parallei

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 02:55:29 PM »
I just called KA about storage last week.  I asked about chucking KASL in the freezer as this was where I had the most storage room available.  They said the freezer would be fine in an air tight container.  So that is what I did.  I used gallon zip lock bags.  A gallon bag just holds 5 lbs.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 06:07:20 PM by parallei »

Offline Grilling24x7

• Grilling 24x7
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 05:23:15 PM »
I just calles KA about storage last week.  I asked about chucking KASL in the freezer as this was where I had the most storage room available.  They said the freezer would be fine in an air tight container.  So that is whatt I did.  I used gallon zip lock bags.  A gallon bag just holds 5 lbs.

what type of storage time did they give you?

parallei

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 06:05:56 PM »
Grilling:

They said about 18 months for the KASL.  I'm sure it is different for whole wheat and other types of flours.  As an aside, KA's web site has a wonderful "live chat" (or something like that) option where you can ask them questions on-line.  I've never had to wait more than a few minutes for a response.  KA's a company that really seems to care about customer service.

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 07:36:36 PM »
we cant seem to get through this flour fast enough.

2 X 50 pound buckets of generic high gluten and whole wheat.  we've had it for well over a year and it is still totally fine.  next time we'll get KA and it'll go much faster!!!
Patrick

scott123

Re: how long does high gluten flour last
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 05:30:29 AM »
Storing flour is a bit of a crap shoot.  I've had some flours that were stored in the paper bag for 3 years that were perfectly fine, while I've had others carefully packed away in airtight containers that had bugs in them in 6 months.

I'm not a big fan of ziploc bags for flour storage.  Ziploc is permeable enough to let odors seep in as well as to let moisture out and dry out the flour.  I'm a much bigger fan of food grade plastic buckets with lids.  I've asked for buckets at the bakery in my local supermarket twice now and both times they had a large bucket (4.25 gallon) waiting to be recycled.

A lot of members freeze their flour before storing it- that helps extend the shelf life by killing off insect eggs.  I've been mulling over using dry ice to store the flour in CO2, but so far, it hasn't been necessary. Storing All Trumps in plastic buckets in the basement, I use it up before any issues arise- that's usually around 8 months.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 03:16:15 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
Re: how long does high gluten flour last
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 01:36:14 PM »
cambro can fit your needs of storing flour and they are surprisingly cheap
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

pizzapan