Author Topic: Aluminum peel in electric oven = zap?  (Read 1498 times)

Offline scpizza

• Demystifying Neapolitan Pizza
Aluminum peel in electric oven = zap?
« on: March 14, 2009, 08:41:18 AM »
I have a GI Metal aluminum peel with an aluminum handle.  My pizza stone sits high, close to the top element in my 240V electric oven.  Is there any reason to think I wouldn't be zapped if the peel were to accidentally touch the element?

Seems to me to be no different than my grabbing an energized 240V circuit.  Especially if I happen to have one hand on my stainless steel counter into which the grounded oven cabinet is mounted.

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
Re: Aluminum peel in electric oven = zap?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 12:05:58 PM »
Hey SC
The heating elements in a modern electric oven are constructed in a similar fashion as the burners on a conventional elec range top.  The actual current carrying wire, coil or ribbon is not exposed to the outside world, but housed within an insulated sheathing just for this reason, commonly ceramic.  This is not the case with many small appliances like a toaster where what you see is the actual conducting wire, and we all know what happens when one sticks a fork in there to free a stuck bagel while it is on.
Having said that, the small print disclaimer is that it is not impossible, just incredibly rare, for a set of circumstances to occur that leads to an unfortunate baker completing a circuit.  If you happened to break the oven light bulb while on or smashed the element with the alum peel that could leave a nasty mark or worse.  Otherwise it takes a bizzaro chain of issues or defect to create an elec hazard.  But lacking a "perfect storm" scenario modern elec ovens, properly working, in a properly grounded and wired home, are considered quite safe in this regard.  If you have a bad feeling about it, or like me one of your nicknames includes the word "clumsy", a wooden peel might be the way to go.

Offline scpizza

• Demystifying Neapolitan Pizza
Re: Aluminum peel in electric oven = zap?
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 12:32:27 PM »
Brilliant.  Thank you for the clear, thorough explanation.  Makes sense that the seemingly bare elements are not truly bare but encased in a ceramic coating.  Makes sense too for routine food baking with metal pans going in and coming out all the time the occasional bump of the coil had better not produce a shock.

pizzapan