Author Topic: Good Deal on Quarry Tile in or around Wilmington DE  (Read 1761 times)

Offline RichC

Good Deal on Quarry Tile in or around Wilmington DE
« on: February 01, 2009, 09:55:02 AM »
I have been reading posts at this site for almost 3 weeks.  I think I finally have some info that may benefit others.
I was searching for some unglazed quarry tiles to replace my 14 3/4" round pizza stone.  I have a standard oven (~16" x 20"),
and was hoping I could find a rectangular or square stone that would allow me to cook a full 16" pizza without having to change
my dough formulations.  Right now, I double a 16" dough recipe in order to make 3 - 14" skins.  I then use a screen for the
first 3 minutes of cooking, remove, very quickly dress, then cook on the stone for 5-7 more minutes at ~475dgf on the stone.
This method was necessitated by a rather small peel (came with the stone) and rather small stone.

I was looking for 4"x8" tiles, unglazed and non-abrasive of course, that I could pickup by driving to the shop.  This would allow
me to see and feel the tile, I am a visual person by nature.  I saw a box of Metropolitan Mayflower Red  6"x6" at the local Home Depot, but this would require some cutting in order to fit the 16" depth of my oven.  Then I found a local contractor who would purchase ~10.5 sq ft of the Dal-tile red quarry stone in 4"x8" tiles, delivered to me in 10 days for the cost of $40.  Not a bad option, but I kept searching.  Then I found a tile dealer in Wilmington DE, Bath and Kitchen, who were a short drive from me.  They had a 4"x8" unglazed and non-abrasive quarry tile in Canyon Red color in stock.  They are made by American Olean.  They are trying to reduce their inventory due to the economy.  Long story short, 10.78 sq ft of tile (1 carton, or 50 tiles) for the cost of $10.78, or $1 per sq foot.  Thats about 5 oven linings, or $2 a lining.

I took them home, scrubbed them up with a baking powder and water mixture. Then have been running them through the oven starting at 200dgf and moving to 500dgf over the course of 2 hours.  Very little to no odor.  Although, on the ridged underside of each tile was 4 hardened slight strings of glue.  I used a butter kniife and they "popped right off" the same way crumbs do from a pizza stone after it has cooled.  This glue must have been residue from the manufacturing process, maybe to keep them in some kind of alignment??

Anyway, for any local folks who were/are looking for quarry tiles, a good deal to be found in Wilmington DE. 

BTW - I walked back into the inventory building to get the tiles with one of the workers, and they had at least 10+ cartons left on a pallet.

Offline ccolton

Re: Good Deal on Quarry Tile in or around Wilmington DE
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 03:01:29 PM »
Hi Rich,

What is the thickness of the tiles - standard 1/4"?

Is this the one?

103 Greenbank Road
Wilmington, DE 19808
Phone: 302-992-9210

Thanks,

Chris

Offline RichC

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 12:59:57 PM »
Sorry for responding to this so late.

Yes, that is the supplier.

As for thickness, I am at work right now.
I will measure when I get home and then post
the accurate measurements.

Offline RichC

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 07:40:12 AM »
Sorry for responding to this so late.

Yes, that is the supplier.

As for thickness, I am at work right now.
I will measure when I get home and then post
the accurate measurements.

Sorry for the delay, I have measured the tile to be:  8" long x 3 7/8" wide x 1/2" thick.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 02:30:18 AM »
Rich,

stop being "sorry".  :)

Sometimes responding to a post takes time. Other members know that.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

pizzapan