Author Topic: dumb toppings question about sausage  (Read 3667 times)

Offline snowdy

• i pledge allegiance to the pizza
    • Dataheadz Design
dumb toppings question about sausage
« on: January 29, 2005, 08:34:17 PM »
I got some kick ass spicy italian sausage i want to put on my pizza. can i put it on raw? or should i cook it in a pan or something first then top on the finished pie?

thanks  :P

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
Re: dumb toppings question about sausage
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2005, 08:43:27 PM »
Hi Snowdy,

I would slide it up and just fry it real quick(ly) in a pan.... if you are doing a pice for only 8 mins, I wouldn't want to chance getting
sick.  Be safe and just fry it for a few mins and then throw it on....

and no, I have no life, I'm sitting here chatting with my bro in VAncouver and sucking beerz. hehehe

Mark
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 02:01:38 PM »
I almost always cook my sausage in pan first, part of the reason is render out some of the fat.  On any Pizza that cooks less then 15 minutes I would only use pre-cooked sausage.  Now on a deep dish that spends 20-30 minutes in the oven you could use raw, and from time to time I do.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline D.C. Pizza Master

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 11:23:50 PM »
I almost always cook my sausage in pan first, part of the reason is render out some of the fat.  On any Pizza that cooks less then 15 minutes I would only use pre-cooked sausage.  Now on a deep dish that spends 20-30 minutes in the oven you could use raw, and from time to time I do.

DKM

so you only cook it in a pan to get the fat out?

because you are able to cook sausage in a brick oven with no problems at all for 3 minutes..thats all it takes..of course im talking small chunks of sausage...not big meaty peices

Offline snowdy

• i pledge allegiance to the pizza
    • Dataheadz Design
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 11:52:55 PM »
most of our ovens only go to 500-550 :'(  one of these days im gonna try to build a brick oven in the yard!

As for frying up the sausage in a pan first... after its ready do you guys put it on your pizza and then into the oven again? or just sprinkle it on top? I would like to have some cheese melt over some of it and put it on the pie before it goes in.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005, 12:09:42 AM »
Snowdy,

For pizzas that have short bake times, I usually cook the sausage in a pan until the pink just disappears. The heat of the oven during baking will finish cooking the sausage. I sprinkle the cooked sausage on the pizza as it is being dressed, just like any other topping. So there's no harm in putting some cheese over it. In fact, it will protect the sausage from being overcooked and getting crunchy because of being exposed to direct heat.

I often drain the fat from cooking the sausage just to get the saturated fat levels down, and sometimes replace that form of fat with a monounsaturated fat, such as a light olive oil, which is better for you yet retains the mouthfeel of fat that most people like. I especially do this for deep-dish pizzas because of the much larger amount of sausage used.

Peter
« Last Edit: February 27, 2005, 03:09:50 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline brianc

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2005, 01:54:07 PM »
I precook as well, but I'm a big fan of boiling the sausage first.  It takes a bit more time, but it really does a nice job of removing the grease.

Brian