Author Topic: Making paper thin slices from stick pepperoni  (Read 6672 times)

Offline Crusty

• It's all about CRUST
Making paper thin slices from stick pepperoni
« on: March 18, 2005, 05:11:49 PM »
Any thoughts on how to make paper thin slices from stick pepperoni?  I have a Cuisinart with a 1/8" or 1/4" blade. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Crusty

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Making paper thin slices from stick pepperoni
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 06:20:35 PM »
Crusty,

I once asked the butcher at a place where I bought some stick pepperoni whether it was possible for him to slice it for me if I wanted. He said that he would do whatever I wanted, in whatever thickness I wanted. I wasn't planning to use the pepperoni any time soon so I declined. But at least I knew it was possible for him to do it. I think that would be my first choice.

As for using your Cuisinart unit, I wondered also whether it was possible to use one of the slicing blades to slice pepperoni stick. So I went to cuisinart.com and looked at the manuals for a representative sampling of their food processors. The answer in all cases was that hard sausage could be sliced using one of the slicing blades. For salami or other hard sausage (and I assume pepperoni stick would qualify as a hard sausage), the instructions I saw (they were the same for all of the units I looked at) were as follows: "If the sausage is thin enough so that one or two of them will fit in the small tube, use that tube. Or cut the sausage into enough pieces to fit into the large tube completely. Stand the pieces vertically, packing them in tightly so they cannot tilt sideways as they are sliced."

You may want to check the manual for your unit to confirm what I just quoted. I have no idea how thin or thick the slices will be or which slicing blade you should use (I saw 2mm, 4mm and 6 mm blades mentioned for some of the units I looked at). But if you do decide to use your Cuisinart, please let the rest of us know whether it is a viable option.

Another tip I have seen about slicing pepperoni stick manually is to freeze the pepperoni stick for a while before slicing.

Peter 

Offline Crusty

• It's all about CRUST
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 12:35:44 PM »
Thanks Pete-zza.  I wonder how other folks that purchase pepperoni sticks achieve paper thin results or do most folks not care about slice thickness.

Regards,

Crusty

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 01:05:31 PM »
Crusty,

Acually, sometimes people prefer thicker slices rather than paper thin slices. That is one of the features that diners speak highly of when they have a DiFara's pepperoni (Sicilian?) pizza. I believe Dom Demarco slices the pepperoni stick into thick slices right on the spot.

I have also read about some pretty good results on the part of pizza operators who dice some of their pepperoni and use the dice in combination with slices on a pizza--to fill in some of the empty spots on the pizza. I haven't tried this myself, but it is said to produce surprisingly good results. You could use your Cuisinart processor (fitted with the metal blade) to chop some of the pepperoni into small pieces.

Peter
« Last Edit: March 19, 2005, 01:10:38 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Crusty

• It's all about CRUST
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 01:10:32 PM »
Good thought.  I will try a thicker slice and see how it works.  In fact, I will slice the stick I have with the Cuisinart and toss them on a pie tonight!

Crusty

Offline D.C. Pizza Master

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2005, 08:04:18 PM »
Any thoughts on how to make paper thin slices from stick pepperoni?  I have a Cuisinart with a 1/8" or 1/4" blade. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Crusty

pepperoni is %$#....why would you want to use that? buy high quality salami for your pizza

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2005, 05:19:05 PM »
I slice pepperoni all the time in my cuisinart.  It turns out great.  Some slices are thicker than others, but I don't mind.  Actually, like Peter, I like my roni on the thick side, so I try to push it through as fast as I can.  I can slice a pound of it pretty much instantly.  Mine only came with one slicing blade, so I am not sure what thickness it is. 

Offline maremosso

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005, 10:48:13 AM »
Cut by hand.  With knife dipped in vinegar.