Author Topic: 6-in-1 a bit too sweet  (Read 5037 times)

Offline bpizza

6-in-1 a bit too sweet
« on: March 14, 2009, 11:52:20 PM »
I finally ordered fromescalon three cans of 6-in-1. They are in my opinion too sweet for a base. Are the stanislaus and redpack products similar?

thanks

Offline Art

• la pizza la mia vita!!
Re: 6-in-1 a bit too sweet
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 08:03:34 AM »
That's the first time I've ever heard that complaint. I disagree totally.  Art
When baking, follow directions.  When cooking, go by your own taste.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 08:29:09 AM »
SD Girl , Can you taste sugar in this, or fennel or any  sweetness? Dont think they add much to these guys
 I love this product!
ohn
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Matthew

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 08:50:40 AM »
I finally ordered fromescalon three cans of 6-in-1. They are in my opinion too sweet for a base. Are the stanislaus and redpack products similar?

thanks

Too sweet??  Did you taste them right out of the can? 

Offline BTB

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 11:18:25 AM »
Unusual conclusion.  I think they are a "little" sweet, but not to the extent that one should characterize the product  as "too sweet for a base."  But different strokes . . . for different folks.

Offline RickL

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 04:30:28 PM »
A good tomato by its nature has a natural sweetness to it.

Love em!

Offline bpizza

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 07:17:26 PM »
I used it right out of the can and I don't think it's the sugar since there's only 4g. Oh well, most people seem to like it. Though back to my original question:
are the stanislaus and redpack products any different?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 07:21:29 PM by bpizza »

Offline Matthew

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 07:39:45 PM »
I used it right out of the can and I don't think it's the sugar since there's only 4g. Oh well, most people seem to like it. Though back to my original question:
are the stanislaus and redpack products any different?

Stanislaus has a few different tomato products, is there one specifically that you are referring to?  Like Escalon, Stanislaus also makes a very good product.  Their tomato products are packed from fresh tomatoes & not from concentrate.  They do however use citric acid so they are slightly more acidic than Escalon 6 in 1's.  To my knowledge Stanislaus products only come in large cans (100 oz).  I have never used Red Pack, so I can't comment on those.

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 07:56:35 PM »
I just tried Stanislaus Tomato Magic crushed tomatoes which seems to be one of their equivalents to the 6 in 1's crushed.  Definitely a diff taste IMHO so maybe you would find them more to your liking.  I was also able to find these in 28 oz cans.  Good luck on your search!

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 10:50:48 PM »
To my knowledge Stanislaus products only come in large cans (100 oz). 

I have found Stanislaus Alta cucina whole tomatoes, Tomato Magic, 7/11 all in small 28oz cans.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 11:09:47 PM »

thanks

I totally understand how you would think the 6 in 1's are sweet.  If you compare them to something made with a typical imported Italian tomato, the 6in1's will be WAY sweeter.   It would help a lot if you move to a product that does not contain any concentrated or thickened tomato. 6 in 1's are basically made at the factory by combining a thickened product that is similar to tomato paste with a crushed tomato.  That gives you "concentrated crushed" tomatoes, which is what they call the 6 in1.  Any time a tomato is dehydrated to the point that it begins to thicken and form a paste it takes on a sweeter taste. If you want to stay with California tomatoes this pretty much leaves you with having to process your own tomato from a whole peeled variety such as the stanislaus Alta Cucina, or a "strip" variety such as the stanislaus 74/40, or escalon bella rosa strips if you want to avoid any extra sweetness. Processing down a diced product would probably work as well.

To my taste buds just about any California tomato product tastes much sweeter than any Italian tomato product, so if you really want more of a "dry" tomato flavor stick to the imported brands. 

As far as how Escalon products compare to Stanislaus products or Redpack products, they are all right at about the same sweetness level for any given product type.   I have done quite a bit of side by side Stanislaus vs. Escalon testing, and I would probably have to say that the Stanislaus 6 in 1 equivalents (7/11 and tomato magic) might even be a tiny bit sweeter. 

Good luck!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 11:11:39 PM by scott r »

Offline bpizza

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 11:47:08 PM »

Thanks for all the replies guys.

As far as how Escalon products compare to Stanislaus products or Redpack products, they are all right at about the same sweetness level for any given product type.   I have done quite a bit of side by side Stanislaus vs. Escalon testing, and I would probably have to say that the Stanislaus 6 in 1 equivalents (7/11 and tomato magic) might even be a tiny bit sweeter. 

Good luck!
Thanks for clearing that up...
I'd rather not have to crush the tomatoes (I may need to, though I'm guessing many pizza establishments don't)... so I looked around a bit and I found Violet All Natural Pizza Sauce (they also make Don Pepino) which is an unseasoned Pizza Sauce. Unfortunately, they are only available in #10 size and not easy to get...

Offline gfgman

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 01:58:51 PM »
Here's my experience with Redpack.  I tried an imported tomato product that was on sale.  It was whole tomatoes, and I ran it through the magic bullet.  It had such a strong bitter/can or whatever type taste that I threw it out.  It was awful.  Then I found an imported crushed product at Wegman's.  I forget the name, but it started with an F.  They had crushed, diced, whole, etc., and it looked like it was going to be fantastic, just looking at the label.  It too had that bitter taste.  Not as strong, but enough that I still threw it out after spicing it up. 
I found Delallo crushed, and was using that for awhile, but not all stores carry it.  It has added basil, and I prefer to start with a plain product.  While searching for something suitable, I found Redpack crushed, and it is the only product I have found in local stores that doesn't have added basil, except for maybe el cheapo stuff.  I wasn't sure about the taste out of the can.  It was milder, but I still detected a hint of the bitter taste.  However, I spiced it up and included a dash of sugar.  My gut said to drop in a little garlic, which is something I hadn't been doing, and the end result was fantastic. 
So, all of that to say that Redpack works for me, until I can try some other products. 
I like the Simpson imports crushed San Marzanos, but I can't find them.  They are made in the NE, but I can't find anybody in the NE that sells them. Apparently they are all over the south.

GMan

Offline Matthew

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 05:46:44 PM »
Here's my experience with Redpack.  I tried an imported tomato product that was on sale.  It was whole tomatoes, and I ran it through the magic bullet.  It had such a strong bitter/can or whatever type taste that I threw it out.  It was awful.  Then I found an imported crushed product at Wegman's.  I forget the name, but it started with an F.  They had crushed, diced, whole, etc., and it looked like it was going to be fantastic, just looking at the label.  It too had that bitter taste.  Not as strong, but enough that I still threw it out after spicing it up. 
I found Delallo crushed, and was using that for awhile, but not all stores carry it.  It has added basil, and I prefer to start with a plain product.  While searching for something suitable, I found Redpack crushed, and it is the only product I have found in local stores that doesn't have added basil, except for maybe el cheapo stuff.  I wasn't sure about the taste out of the can.  It was milder, but I still detected a hint of the bitter taste.  However, I spiced it up and included a dash of sugar.  My gut said to drop in a little garlic, which is something I hadn't been doing, and the end result was fantastic. 
So, all of that to say that Redpack works for me, until I can try some other products. 
I like the Simpson imports crushed San Marzanos, but I can't find them.  They are made in the NE, but I can't find anybody in the NE that sells them. Apparently they are all over the south.

GMan

GMan,
You can eliminate most, if not all of  the biterness by removing the seeds prior to blending or by using a food mill.

Matt

Offline rpmfla

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2011, 02:02:38 PM »
I have 6 in 1's and Tomato Magic in my pantry right now. I tried the Tomato Magic and love it. I actually use it straight from the can! It is what I would describe as a fresh and bright taste...not too sweet (I hate sweet pizza sauce)...and just the right texture. I'd read here that the 6 in 1's were nearly identical so I wanted to give them a try. I would say they are identical thickness and texture wise but I found them to be somewhat bland and slightly sweeter than the Tomato Magic. This could obviously vary from can to can and month to month, but so far I prefer the Tomato Magic for pizza and maybe the 6 in 1's as a base for pasta sauce.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2011, 02:55:16 PM »
yes, it varies.  Usually 6 in 1's win, but not always.   I recently learned that stanislaus even uses different amounts of citric acid depending on the tomatoes they are processing.   Sometimes they claim they dont even use any!   

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 05:47:47 PM »
After using stanislaus for close to a decade, I FINALLY gave escalon a shot.  My purveyor dropped me off a case to try.  No citric acid....don't know if thats good or bad.....and I agree with the op...they are almost TOO sweet....almost...AND it is awfully THICK.  But they taste real, real good (since i like sweet tomato)

Escalon is pack in puree.....Stanislaus Valoroso (pear tomatoes in thick juice) is thinner, not thin by any means, but thinner than escalon.  And NOT as sweet...but sweet.  I made a pizza sauce COMBINING the two and it was great.  Maybe a bit better than my simple valoroso.  But at 4 bucks a case more....and we go through 200 cases a week, they have to come down a bit before I consider it.  If they were MILES better, I would start using it and reflect the price on the menu....but Im not convinced they are better.

But you are talking about possibly the two best california tomatoe products out there.  Can't go wrong with either.

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2012, 05:50:07 PM »
Oh...sorry and there are a few different kinds of escalon 6 in 1's to choose from, the courser crushed, skin on is the sweetest of the bunch.

And scott r is right on, cali tomatoes are MUCH sweeter than italian tomatoes.  But I, personally, think italian tomatoes are for pasta...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 05:53:15 PM by gabaghool »

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2012, 04:54:37 AM »
bpizza

You might like to check out Sclafani crushed tomatoes, they are probably the same tomatoes (Jersey) as were used in the Violet sauce you found. Sclafani was a product of Violet Packing/Don Pepino, which was just recently bought out by B&G Foods of NJ. I still find Sclafani to be a great tomato, just slightly less sweet then 6 in !'s. I buy mine in 28 oz. cans from Italian import stores in the Albany,NY area.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2012, 04:56:53 AM »
bpizza

here's the website   http://www.sclafani.com/