Author Topic: Looking for a decent priced Food Mill (tomato processing)  (Read 3662 times)

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
Looking for a decent priced Food Mill (tomato processing)
« on: May 09, 2006, 03:17:49 PM »
I am looking for a food mill for processing whole canned tomatoes and especially for whole fresh tomatoes.

Desired features:
-Under $70
-removable blades for easy cleaning
-blade with small holes to exclude tomato seeds (especially the small seeds from Fresh San Marzano 3)

If anyone knows of a different device for processing tomatoes.  Please speak up.

TM
Making Pizza is not cooking, it is Performance Art!

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
Re: Looking for a decent priced Food Mill (tomato processing)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 05:40:12 PM »
Food mills designed for Baby food is what comes to my mind first, but finding one that is large enough may be an issue. But may be worth checking into.

I haven't had a chance to look at the mill attachment for the kitchen aid, so I cant comment. They typical run somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 but would be less if you caught a sale. And of course only relevent if you owned a KA in the first place.
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Greg_R

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 02:10:56 PM »
TM,
  Take a look at this option.  My wife's parents have a Squeezo (all steel and a total beast at $190) but I wouldn't think that level of strength would be required for tomato-only processing (vs. pumpkin and apples).  The linked device is Squeezo-esque but just made from plastic (removable steel cutters).

Greg

Offline Illiterate

• I Like Pizza! Love Is For Humans.
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 03:13:42 AM »
Check out the Foley Food Mill, do a Google to see the different models. I bought mine at Ace Hardware years ago, but they're still cheap (I use the 2 qt. $20 model)

Sam

Offline dzpiez

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 03:02:18 AM »
Got an OXO Good Grips at Amazon.com.  In your price range, easy to use, easy to clean, and works great with San Marzano tomatoes, and you can put potatoes in it for Gnocchis.

Offline fcbuilder

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 10:39:43 PM »
look on ebay under tomato strainer. They have lots of them for under 70 buck's. FC

Offline Jraducha

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 04:36:00 AM »
Check out Sur La Table.  They have a few food mills in your price range.  There is another one though I would look at.  Its from cuisipro.  Its like 100 dollars but its awesome.  Well constructed and come with 3 blades.  It also has this food scraper thing on the bottom that is money.