Author Topic: I think my pizza is perfect!  (Read 4004 times)

Offline AL

I think my pizza is perfect!
« on: March 18, 2009, 12:26:00 PM »
I've been trying to perfect my East coast style pizza for over 20 years.  Coincidently I moved from Jersey to Michigan 20 years ago.  Never found a pizza out here that I was truly happy with.  But maybe a couple that deserve a pat on the back, for a good try. 

A couple weeks ago I had six friends from work over for my pizza.  I made four 16 inch pizza's, and they all thought it was the best pizza they ever had. 

I currently work in the American automotive industry.  And it looks like I'll probably be out of a job in a few months, at least I hope so!  I'd get a severance package, and would really love to start up a pizza shop.  But since I have never worked in the food industry, I'm very concerned about start up costs, and managing the whole business.  I'll probably get a job at a pizza place to see how everything works.  I've wanted to have my own pizza shop for many years.  My pizza is ready, but that's about it.

Any advice on start up would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, AL

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: I think my pizza is perfect!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 01:20:47 PM »
AL,

In parallel with your visits to this forum, you might also want to register and to post at a couple of other forums where professional pizza operator also frequent: the PMQ Think Tank forum at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewforum.php?f=6 and the Pizza Today Bulletin Board at http://www.pizzatoday.com/NewsViews/BulletinBoard/tabid/272/Default.aspx. Both of those forums also have archives that can be searched.

Another possibility for you to consider is taking the Practical Pizza Production course, which is a popular course that is offered by the American Institute of Baking. The course itself is briefly outlined at https://secure.aibonline.org/php/ecomm-catalog.php?catalogNbr=377&site=.

In due course, you might also consider attending pizza-related trade shows and subscribing to pizza trade publications, such as those put out by PMQ and Pizza Today. You can get further information on both of those sources, including trade shows that they sponsor, at http://www.pmq.com/ and http://www.pizzatoday.com/, respectively.

Good luck.

Peter

Online gfgman

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 01:38:24 PM »
I've been trying to perfect my East coast style pizza for over 20 years.  Coincidently I moved from Jersey to Michigan 20 years ago.  Never found a pizza out here that I was truly happy with.  But maybe a couple that deserve a pat on the back, for a good try. 

A couple weeks ago I had six friends from work over for my pizza.  I made four 16 inch pizza's, and they all thought it was the best pizza they ever had. 

I currently work in the American automotive industry.  And it looks like I'll probably be out of a job in a few months, at least I hope so!  I'd get a severance package, and would really love to start up a pizza shop.  But since I have never worked in the food industry, I'm very concerned about start up costs, and managing the whole business.  I'll probably get a job at a pizza place to see how everything works.  I've wanted to have my own pizza shop for many years.  My pizza is ready, but that's about it.

Any advice on start up would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, AL
Hey, don't be stealing my idea there Al. 
Seriously, I hope you give it a whirl.  I spent 7 years in Michigan, after 23 in NJ, and you are right on about the Pizza.  I've been working on my NY pie ever since.  I've often thought that such a pie would do gangbusters in an area that doesn't have such pizza.  Imagine not having competition.  Around here, there is one on every corner it seems. 
Go for it!

GMan

Offline AL

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 10:22:36 AM »
Peter,

Thank you very much for all the advice!  I will look into all the leads you gave me.  Don't know what I'd do without the internet?

Thanks again, AL

Offline AL

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 10:57:17 AM »
Hey, don't be stealing my idea there Al. 
Seriously, I hope you give it a whirl.  I spent 7 years in Michigan, after 23 in NJ, and you are right on about the Pizza.  I've been working on my NY pie ever since.  I've often thought that such a pie would do gangbusters in an area that doesn't have such pizza.  Imagine not having competition.  Around here, there is one on every corner it seems. 
Go for it!

GMan

GMan,

Yes, there wouldn't be much competition out here.  But I have to admit that I am concidering moving to North Carolina.  I'm getting really tired of these Michigan winters. 

Good luck with your NY pie!

BTW, since it's sometimes a small world...You didn't live around Marlboro NJ, did ya?  I knew a guy from there who went by GMan.  He was a friend of some of the guys in our motorcycle club called "The Shrews."

AL

Offline Mo

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 09:19:23 PM »
Al:
You are right in thinking to get a job at pizza place before thinking about opening your own place. I would recommend at least a year learning everything you can about the biz, from the inside. There is so much to running a successful food service establishment that has NOTHING to do with food. It is a unique business that deserves much consideration and respect. Competition is fierce and margins are minimal. The ones that make it have a great product, a well defined concept and fully invested management. Any business experience will be helpful but specific experience will be crucial to your success. If it really is your dream to open a pizza place, the least investment you could make is a year of your time to learn the ropes. You might find that you're a natural or you might find that it's a crazy biz you want nothing to do with. Either way, good luck to you....

Offline IndyRob

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 09:49:30 PM »
Al, I appreciate your enthusiam and hope you succeed, but be careful relying on your friends for opinions.  I have wowed my (extended)family with my pizza, but that's not the standard we'll be held to in the commercial world.  See if you can find a church outing or something (people who will just know the product and not you), that you can cook for.  And have a spy in the crowd.

You want to do an East Coast pizza in Michigan.  I grew up in Detroit, and that might be a tough sell.  Okay, so I've been away for 20 years, but check out the Sicilian Style forum here and see how much Detroit is brought up.  Would you go into Chicago with an NE style pie and be confident?  Detroit has it's own pizza culture - even if it's not famous.  Yes, you would find some loyal adherents.  But would you ultimately survive?

You just can't come from one area of the country into another and tell them you're right.  Because the people in that region learned what you did early on.  And that's that what you ate as a child was good. 

Online gfgman

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 01:42:46 PM »
I don't know.  I think it could work. I went to a NY pizza shop in Phoenix, AZ.  It was fantastic.  They weren't hurting for business either.  If it's good pizza and a high traffic area, you should be good to go.   

Offline frankerector

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 09:02:09 AM »
I know if you opened a place here in Blackshear Georgia you would be opening a gold mine. The pizza here is a joke. I agree some geographic regions have developed their own style and would be hard to overtake. Not here though. Someone could open a place selling cooked frozen pizzas and they would do better then the other options. Pizza in the South East USA has alot to be desired. Gooeys Pizza in Jesup Ga. 30 miles away is the best around here IMO. A place opened here WOULD have NO compitition.
Frank

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 09:51:34 AM »
Just because the pizza is awful in your region doesn't mean a high-quality place can be a success. People tend to like the pizza they grew up with. If Da Michele suddenly opened in my town, I think it would go out of business quickly. People here consider pizza to be inexpensive fast food - quantity (especially toppings) over quality and they vote with their feet. The Dominos, Round Table, etc. are very successful here.

Offline frankerector

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 10:37:27 AM »
I understand your point Bill. But understand mine. I have spoken with numberous people. I have spoken to the pizza delivery person. I have called the fire department and asked, "Where do you guys get good pizza here." Their reply is there is no good pizza around. This is a small town of maybe 8 or 9,000. Word travels quick. I have seen other types of establishments open and close quick. They complain of not enough cheese. Tasteless sauce. Open a Chicago style pizzaria here and it would be a hit. I lived in the Chicago area for 40 years. Now here. The people HERE would love it. Other places Bill you could be right. Here you are wrong. Al I say Go for it. Don't let people discourage your dreams. You live one time only. Live it as YOU see fit!

Offline AL

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 11:20:19 AM »
Thanks to all for the words of encouragement!  And also to those who believe NY pizza may not work in some regions.  I have an open mind, and do want to explore all thoughts and opinions.  I'm sure there are people across the country who would rather go to Pizza Hut, instead of having one of my pies.  My pizza might not be for everyone, but in almost any given area, I think my pizza would be many people's favorite.  I'd rather not compete in NY or NJ, since people there can find great pizza easily.  I'll have to take my chances on people who have grown up eating bad pizza, and introduce them to something new.  And hopefully have some customers who once had good pizza, but couldn't seem to find it in their area.

Thanks, AL

Offline The Slice

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2009, 01:29:25 PM »
just an fyi.. make sure you get a good understanding of the economic climate where you intend to sell your pizzas. For example, michigan is in dire straights and would be more risky than another state that wasn't facing high unemployment levels and foreclosures. I'ld look for a place that had a good local economy and crappy pizza..:)

Offline Mo

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 04:44:02 PM »
AL:

Knowing your market is good. Knowing how to control costs and stay profitable is even better. A well-managed business can withstand unfavorable market conditions but a poorly run business will hemhorrage cash no matter how many customers it has.

Offline AL

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 10:07:38 AM »
just an fyi.. make sure you get a good understanding of the economic climate where you intend to sell your pizzas. For example, michigan is in dire straights and would be more risky than another state that wasn't facing high unemployment levels and foreclosures. I'ld look for a place that had a good local economy and crappy pizza..:)

I will try to make sence, but I'm still on my first cup of coffee.

For now I'm stuck here in Michigan, with no plans of opening shop anytime soon :'(  My employer let 50 people go with a severance package, but I wasn't one of them.  I think my time is coming soon though.

I will probably move to NC, once I'm unemployed.  Their economy is doing great, and nice motorcycle weather.

Thanks for your thoughts!

And since I'm on layoff this week...I'm gonna go work on my Moto Guzzi project bike... 8)

pizzapan