Author Topic: Pizza Sauce Comparison - Bonta vs. Allegro??  (Read 2096 times)

Offline Pizza Pie

Pizza Sauce Comparison - Bonta vs. Allegro??
« on: March 20, 2009, 03:27:05 PM »
My local food distributor offers two different Escalon brand prepared pizza sauces.  One is BONTA and the other is ALLEGRO.  Has anyone tried both of them?  How do they compare?  Escalon's web site does not provide enough information to compare the two sauces.  Thanks!!

Offline HamPepMush

Re: Pizza Sauce Comparison - Bonta vs. Allegro??
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 09:52:37 AM »
I would love to hear input on this quesiton as well.  I am looking for something with more bite (a touch more acidic maybe?) than the yummy but 'soft'/'mild'/'naturally sweet' Bonta...wondering if Allegro might be the ticket?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 11:58:58 AM »
Bonta, even the bonta pizza sauce, is just tomatoes.  They say there is basil in there, but it really is just a basil sprig on the bottom of the can.  It doesn't do much to flavor the sauce, so you end up with a totally plain unseasoned tomato sauce.  The allegro line is more of a ready to use sauce.  It basically takes their thinnest pizza ready consistency bonta and adds in olive oil, garlic, basil, oregano, salt, and black pepper.......all the things you would add yourself to a sauce.  I prefer to add in the flavors myself, as I feel like I achieve a fresher flavor, but I would imagine someone who is in a hurry would love not having to add in their own flavoring.   

Offline TheRailroadBulls

• Fatboy Style!!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 12:24:38 PM »
My local food distributor offers two different Escalon brand prepared pizza sauces.  One is BONTA and the other is ALLEGRO.  Has anyone tried both of them?  How do they compare?  Escalon's web site does not provide enough information to compare the two sauces.  Thanks!!

I just bought a #10 can of Bonta and my distributor had the same options for Escalon... the Bonta and Allegro (but they also offered the 6 in 1, or is it 7 in 1?). I am going crack that can either today or tomorrow and when I do i'll definitely let you know what I think. I know the can itself said it's tomatos, salt, and basil... but i'm kinda scared now after seeing what that Scott R. said about it just being a sprig on the bottom. I had a definite "ruh roh" feeling... cause I pay 6 bucks a can instead of 4 for my usual stuff, because since I had heard so many great things about Escalon products (i've only tried the 6 in 1s previously), that I figured it'd have some good amounts of basil in there. Being as it's been an especially cold summer in MI so far that killed all of my basil plants...  :'(

The allegro line is more of a ready to use sauce.  It basically takes their thinnest pizza ready consistency bonta and adds in olive oil, garlic, basil, oregano, salt, and black pepper.......all the things you would add yourself to a sauce.   

Scott, have you tasted the Allegro sauce personally? What i'm wondering is if they add those things in large quantitys, or if they just throw a little in. Basically, would I want to add MORE ingredients myself? Because I agree with you about it being better to add your own, so it wouldn't even make sense for me to buy the product if i'm paying more just to STILL have to ad to it. Thanks!
"Conveyor ovens make McPizza." - Scott123

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 07:27:28 PM »
I purchased a can of Allegro from a pizzeria in town that uses it. It is a good sauce but I love Pizzaiolo by Stanislaus better. It all comes down to personal preference. 

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=17415.msg270663#msg270663

As for Bonta, I have used it as well. I remember it being a thicker sauce with a lot of basil flavor. Not a favorite with me, but a good sauce.