Author Topic: Re-activating Dormant Starter  (Read 1254 times)

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
Re-activating Dormant Starter
« on: March 04, 2010, 11:11:28 AM »
Starting a more positive post ;-)

I just wanted to share that I recently reactivated all my three different starters that had been dormant in the fridge between 9 and 14 months...

Well, with a bit of patiance, I managed to re-activate them within 5 days (one at the time, so it took me three weeks overall) and are now all three back to their best and have maintained all their different quality (smell, taste and levening power).

I hope it serve as encouragement to people that wrote to me in the past telling me to have lost their  starters by leaving them for too long without refreshing.

Ciao

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
Re: Re-activating Dormant Starter
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 11:51:13 AM »
i had one for 3 months that came back to life, but 9 an 14 months... WOW !!
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline CAPSLOCK

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 11:07:39 PM »
Awesome! Now my lazy butt is going to get up and try to revive that "thing" in the back of my fridge, I think it's pissed though about being #2, we'll see  :P

Offline PizaJim

• I Love Pizza!
    • Rosemark Homes
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 02:42:43 PM »
Care to share your tips/techniques?
2Stone Novice

Offline Pizza Journey

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 11:38:10 PM »
You seem to be an expert and so I will ask you......Over the last year we have baked and eaten a  hundred or so pizzas baked on a pizza stone (4 down and a "real one" on order) and have baked them in a barbeque at 900 and in the kitchen oven at 550. We have created wonderful rustic crusts and Napoletana style Margherita pizzas and every kind in between. The family loves them!

Now on to the challenge of using an Italian sourdough. I  started this culture Saturday/Easter Sunday at midnight.  I followed Mr. Wood's instructions, but I am confused. It overflowed once and I split the batch and fed it as directed. It is now sitting pretty at 70 and is a bit bubbly on top. But....how do I know when it is "fully active"? I am very eager to use it.

I am confused because the instruction pamphlet says it should have 2 inches of foam, but his book says it should foam up and touch the lid before it is active. So... did I miss my chance when it foamed over the first time?It never smelled bad.
Cheers and Pizza on Earth!

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 04:32:29 AM »
I'd just keep feeding it regularly for a few more days. It should be very foamy within a few hours after feeding. "Fully active" can take a while as the organisms get accustomed to their new environment and achieve equilibrium. It may be "usable" now, but it will get better over time.

pizzapan