Author Topic: beer and starter  (Read 2469 times)

Offline artigiano

beer and starter
« on: March 20, 2009, 11:08:51 PM »
I am just having a beer and activating a starter.. I wonder what would happen if I added some beer to a starter?  Well, I don't have time to experiment this weekend, just enough time to make some pizzas on Sunday.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 01:47:17 AM by artigiano »

Offline Matthew

Re: beer and starter
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 05:50:37 AM »
I am just having a beer and activating a starter.. I wonder what would happen if I added some beer to a starter?  Well, I don't have time to experiment this weekend, just enough time to make some pizzas on Sunday.

Apart from your starter getting hammered, probably not much.   :-D

Offline artigiano

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 05:26:08 PM »
haha, you are probably right

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 06:01:49 PM »
Apart from your starter getting hammered, probably not much.   :-D

I just wanted to say thanks for that, It's rare I ever actually "laugh out loud". Priceless.  :-D

This section scares the hell out of me, I should not be here browsing like this... though I know in time I'll have to be...

:-\

"If God said you can come to heaven now, but you have to stop eating my pizza, you'd stay and finish instead, right?" - Essen1

Offline Matthew

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 11:18:36 AM »
I just wanted to say thanks for that, It's rare I ever actually "laugh out loud". Priceless.  :-D

This section scares the hell out of me, I should not be here browsing like this... though I know in time I'll have to be...

:-\

Once you cross over, you'll never go back. >:D

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 06:48:52 PM »
Matthew, I know. I've just graduated to letting dough cold ferment for 3-4 days, so all in due time. Plus if I start asking about poolish and cultures again Peter will bann me for sure!  :o I kind of like it here and all.

So, like Axl Rose said in 2002, regarding when the record will finally come out,..."soon!" (7 years later, there it was!)

"If God said you can come to heaven now, but you have to stop eating my pizza, you'd stay and finish instead, right?" - Essen1

Offline NepaBill

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 07:17:34 PM »
I have been playing around with a beer starter for about 3 weeks now.  I figured why  pay sourdough.com all my dough their cultures when I could visit my local home brew shop and buy a liquid yeast culture for like $5.  I have had great luck with it!  I am using a Belgium Wit beer style of yeast.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 09:19:30 PM »
interesting post.  I was wondering the same.  Would i get a different flavor of starter by feeding it with beer or even apple juice instead of water?  Was going to start a new thread but used the search function and ended up here. 

Well I added beer today and will continue to do so for several weeks to see if i notice a difference.  I'll update my post in a week or 2. 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 09:53:10 PM »
Tranman,

If you look when I first used a starter and learned about them from Toby (Infoodel) and Mike (Essen1), you will see I added some wine to a starter.  I have put them to sleep in the fridge now to learn about other ideas about pizza making, but they taught me a lot about natural starters and I used the natural starters to make Sicilian pizzas.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10008.msg87117.html#msg87117

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 10:36:54 PM »
Norma, I have read parts of that thread awhile back.  I notice you were using red wine to start your rye starter.  I started my starter months ago using a bit of lemon juice.  I'm curious as to continuing to feed it beer (instead of water) if it will give me a different or better crust flavor. 

I also noted that you made numerous different starters.  Did you ever do comparison tests to see if they each gave pizza/bread a different flavor in the end product?  or did they just smell different but tasted the same or similar in the end result?

Thanks.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 11:09:30 PM »
Norma, I have read parts of that thread awhile back.  I notice you were using red wine to start your rye starter.  I started my starter months ago using a bit of lemon juice.  I'm curious as to continuing to feed it beer (instead of water) if it will give me a different or better crust flavor. 

I also noted that you made numerous different starters.  Did you ever do comparison tests to see if they each gave pizza/bread a different flavor in the end product?  or did they just smell different but tasted the same or similar in the end result?

Thanks.

Tranman,

I think if I remember right, I then transitioned over to just regular feeding with different kinds of flour.  I didn't think the added wine had that much difference in making the pizzas.  I started all my natural starters with rye flour and then transitioned over to other kinds.  Most of the starters did taste about the same in the end result of making pizza.  I was trying higher hydrations then. 

Some day when I have time I am going to get out the starters I bought from Sourdough.com and try to start them, and do something to my BBQ grill and try making pizza in the BBQ grill.

Best of luck in using your starters,

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

pizzapan