Author Topic: Blend Cheese To Make Less Oily  (Read 2941 times)

Offline FatFanny

Blend Cheese To Make Less Oily
« on: March 22, 2009, 08:51:00 PM »
My First Post Here!

I am from Chicago and I love pizza.  I now live in Utah and have yet to find a pizza that is any good (Little Caesars is the state pizza).  So, I decided to try to figure it out.  I first thought... how hard could it be to make a pizza.  The seemingly easy task has a plethora of nuances that makes pizza's good or bad...so much for easy.  I am new to pizza making and have failed miserably...so I am here to "gleen" some information from the pizza aficionados here.

I have a question about cheese, whole milk cheeses are tend to be the most flavorable but are also oily.  Which cheese is the most oily Provolone or Mozzarella?

Would a mixture of these cheeses make a pizza less oily.  If so, what would the proper mixture be.  Also, maybe mixing whole with part skim may work.  If anyone has mixtures that work well, please let me know

Cheers

Offline pjbear05

Re: Blend Cheese To Make Less Oily
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 07:34:48 PM »
The original "Detroit Style" variant of Sicilian used Wisconsin Brick Cheese.  At one time Publix Supermarkets here in South FL sold their own brand of Brick, but stopped.  I used to use a 50/50 mix of brick and whole milk mozz that worked fine.

I also saw a shout out for Boar's Head Mozzerella, which is also whole milk, but in a "deli loaf" form that is sliced to order.  I haven't tried it for pizza, but it works very well for lasagna.
"Aw, Paulie?  You won't see him no more!"