Author Topic: First NY Style Pizza  (Read 778 times)

Offline tscaife

First NY Style Pizza
« on: April 08, 2011, 07:24:03 PM »
Made my first Ny Style pizza and thought I would share. I based it on Pete-zza's roadmap reply #151. It was great in a lot of ways but, I made quite a few mistakes I think.

I fed the culture over the weekend so when I decided to make the dough Wednesday night I washed the culture and added flour and water for the pancake batter consistency. After two hours it was bubbling so I decided to make the dough using the percentages from the post I mentioned above. I don't have a mixer so I did a 15 minute autolyse with 1/3 of the flour and water. Added other ingredients and hand kneaded for 10 minutes. Let rest for 15 minutes before putting in the fridge. The dough was 79* before refrigeration.

I Baked it on an air bake pan for about 11 minutes at 525*. It tasted great! I think I made the following mistakes;

1. I should have let the culture fully activate. It was only out of the fridge for a couple of hours before I made the dough and it didn't rise very much. I have never baked bread (or anything else) prior to getting the cultures last month so I really don't know what to look for yet. Next time I am going to try and rise at room temperature.

2. Should have cooked a little bit longer.

3. My pizza stone is 14" and the pie was 16". Next time I will make a 14" pie and put on the stone for the last 2 minutes.

Thanks for looking! Also thanks to everyone who takes the time to put all this great info out there! This is a lot of fun and I am looking forward to better pizzas!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 07:35:27 PM by tscaife »

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
Re: First NY Style Pizza
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 03:29:08 AM »
let your dough rise more before baking, and move your pizza to a lower rack, if not the lowest.  move it up to finish the top if it looks underdone
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

pizzapan