Author Topic: Making Mozzarella  (Read 6327 times)

Offline Madmax

• I Love Pizza!
Making Mozzarella
« on: March 23, 2009, 10:44:49 AM »
Anyone out there making there own mozzarella?  I found a local dairy farm and I purchased 2 gallons of raw milk over the weekend for my first attempt at making mozz.  Results......I made a great ricotta!  Any recipes out there?

Thanks

Madmax

Offline Crider

Re: Making Mozzarella
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 01:26:40 PM »
Checkout Fankhauser's Cheese Page. I've also seen a couple of Youtube videos showing people stretching the moz and forming balls.

Offline Crider

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 01:47:51 PM »
One more thing, I've used the leftover whey from cheese making in the crust and it's super delicious.

Offline CharlotteSailor

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 05:52:07 PM »
Here's a link to a recipe that I have had luck with every time.
cheesemaking.com/store/pg/21.html
The cheese is good but just not as good a buffalo mozzarella.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 09:27:34 PM »
Would that be on Lake Norman ??
big sailor here as well as rookie pizza maker in training
Back to cheese sorry just curious pm if I am correct
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline CharlotteSailor

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 06:10:28 AM »
If the question was directed at me; no, it's Charlotte Harbor, Florida.  It's between Ft Myers and Venice

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 09:11:59 AM »
Yes it was CharlotteSailor,
 just a guessat location (wrong one) But I do love to sail
Would love to see some of that cheese.
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline CharlotteSailor

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 01:57:35 PM »
Made some Mozzarella and took pictures but can't seem to figure out how to attach a photo, maybe someone can help.

Offline CharlotteSailor

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 02:42:18 PM »
Just saw how to attach duh.  Here's the picture didn't come out as "smooth" as usually does as I was little short on the citric acid, still tastes good

Offline frankerector

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 01:15:29 PM »
The perfect recipe is on Jack Schmidling Productions web site. He deals with the milk problem.
This site is great. Sausage, beer, cheese, and more!

Offline s00da

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 05:14:03 PM »
This is my second attempt at making mozzarella and I love it  ;D

In my first attempt, I used pasteurized milk and it turned into some kind of a dairy creature that doesn't fit in any category.

So I switched to raw milk that I pasteurized myself and the outcome is just amazing.

I used the recipe on http://www.cheesemaking.com/

Offline dzpiez

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 07:51:33 PM »
Hey s00da,
Good lookin' cheese ball.  I use the same kit and recipe.  It turns out tasting good as far as mozz goes.  But when I use it on my pies it ends up looking like roasted marshmallow.  I use a 2Stone oven at about 700 degrees.  Got any hints at what is wrong?  I use store bought fresh cheese and have no problamo.

Offline s00da

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 04:32:02 AM »
This is only my seconds attempt and I tried melting it on a piece of bread in the microwave oven and it melted right away.

In my previous attempt, I made cheese that I tried on pizza and it came out un-melted, and roasted. Did yours melt? if not then probably we got the same results.

I thought that since I'm attempting mozzarella for the first time and the problems are usually in either milk or technique, I thought of resolving the milk issue from the beginning and I got myself raw milk and pasteurized it and that actually solved it so I just need to tweak my technique now.

Remember that eventhough the recipe calls for pasteurized milk, it still doesn't mean that it will work. After talking to a local dairy operator, it turns out that each operator uses different temperatures and of course the higher the temperature, the less usefull the milk is for cheese-making. Add to that, homogenizing the milk also affects your results.

I recommend you try raw milk, at least for your first attempts so you can focus on technique only.

Offline dzpiez

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 03:55:21 PM »
Well, as is it tasted pretty good.  But once I put it on a pie and stuck it in the oven it didn't melt at all and looked like a burnt roasted marshmallow.  I played around with a few different recipes and got another kit from leeners.com and same thing.  And it's kinda hard here in SoCal to find raw milk, but will keep lookin' for it.

Offline s00da

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 01:37:06 AM »
Well, as is it tasted pretty good.  But once I put it on a pie and stuck it in the oven it didn't melt at all and looked like a burnt roasted marshmallow.  I played around with a few different recipes and got another kit from leeners.com and same thing.  And it's kinda hard here in SoCal to find raw milk, but will keep lookin' for it.

Usually, the store milk can be treated with calcium chloride before making curds but then, such treated milk cannot be used to make mozzarella specifically as indicated on cheesemaking.com.

Did you try the (skim powder milk + cream) recipe in the cheesemaking.com manual? I would suggest this to be the last option if you have no access to raw milk. I will be testing this method tonight as it's good for days when I don't feel like pasteurizing milk  ;D

Offline dzpiez

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2009, 02:16:25 PM »
Well one of the kits I got did come with calcium chloride.  It still came out unmelted and looking like a burnt roasted marshmallow.  Let me know how the skim powder milk + cream came out.

Offline s00da

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2009, 03:47:34 PM »
Well one of the kits I got did come with calcium chloride.  It still came out unmelted and looking like a burnt roasted marshmallow.  Let me know how the skim powder milk + cream came out.

The powder milk attempt was a failure. It produced very soft curds and couldn't work with them at all. It seems not all powder milk brands are suitable.

I guess I'm back to pasteurizing raw milk  :chef:

Offline Phone Guy

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2010, 07:34:54 PM »
I have made my owm Mozzarella many times and it tastes great. However it doesn't melt and have the desired texture when used on a pizza. It's great when used as an appetizer on a baguette slice with a slice of fresh tomato a basil leaf and some good balsamic drizzled on it.

Offline AKSteve

• Lifetime Member
  • We are all made from the same dough.
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 06:41:26 PM »
Here's a video on how to make mozzarella that I haven't seen posted here before: http://www.cheftomm.com/mozzarella-cheese/ I particularly dig the safe-cracker music that plays in the background. Lol.

The chef, Chef Tomm, gives some good all-around info on his website about cooking. In one of his episodes, he makes the craziest, hugest pizza I've ever seen: http://www.cheftomm.com/stuffed-meat-pizza/

Steve

Offline R2-Bayou

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2010, 07:01:40 PM »
I've tried making mozzarella about a dozen times and agree with the "roasted marshmallow" phenomenon when firing a pizza. The product tastes great sliced, but does not melt the way I want it to...

I can get high quality local/semi-organic whole milk from my grocer for $1.99 a gallon. Its great milk, but it is homogenized and pasteurized. I want to try making muzz using raw milk, but I have yet to source a cost effective way to do this... Raw milk seems very expensive in my area, you think it'd be cheaper cutting out the middle man and extra processing, but alas its not. I'll post if I find an affordable raw milk source that changes my mozzarella melting properties.

Love the video by the way.
"Wretched excess is just barely enough."

pizzapan