Author Topic: I'm I the only one who doesn't like 6 in 1's?  (Read 5228 times)

Offline djones148

I'm I the only one who doesn't like 6 in 1's?
« on: January 07, 2009, 10:50:29 PM »
I just received my first order of 6 in 1's direct from Escalon today, and had to crack open a can right away for a taste even though I'm not making pizza until tomorrow. Immediately after opening the aroma hit me and I was a little puzzled and startled -- very different than what I've experienced before. I'd almost describe the aroma as somewhat fishy. Taking the first taste they seemed quite metallic and more acidic than I'm used to. In fact, it's been 15 minutes now since I tasted them and my mouth is still sour. I expected 6 in 1's to be less sour due to omission of citric acid... are they perhaps growing a more acidic tomato variety in order to do this? The taste reminds me a bit of Hunt's tomatoes. It also seems like these may have been cooked in the can longer than the tomatoes I'm used to.

Up until now I have been using Trader Joe's organic diced tomatoes (made by Muir Glen I believe), which I simply drained and pureed in a blender briefly. Those seem much less acidic, sweeter and also seem to have no bitterness to speak of -- there are almost no seeds in the can.

Maybe I just got a bad can of 6 in 1's so I'll have to try the others, but so far I'm quite disappointed especially after reading so many glowing reviews.

Offline Pizza_Not_War

Re: I'm I the only one who doesn't like 6 in 1's?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 11:18:42 PM »
I have soured (lol) on 6 in 1's, don't really like the company very much. I think you may have received a bad batch if they taste metallic, more than likely all your cans will be from the same batch.

I agree with you about TJ's tomatoes which are Muir Glen last I checked. My current favorite is Eden Organic crushed, which I got from Amazon and have so far received two shipments of dented cans. You can usually find this product locally in gourmet, health food or higher end markets. You can also order direct from Eden, they have excellent customer service and are sending me replacements for the Amazon order without any hassles whatsoever!!!

PNW

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 11:32:59 PM »
Djones148,

I have used 6 in 1's ever since someone pointed me out to them on this board and have yet to experience a bad can or batch. I usually buy them at the local supermarket but always found them to be fresh and somewhat sweet in taste and smell.

I've tried other brands, well...almost any brand I could get my hands on here in SF actually, but the 6 in 1's is so far my preferred brand. Never had any metallic taste or even fishy smell come out of a can.

Send them an e-mail and make them aware of your problem. I'm sure they would want to remedy that problem.

PNW,

There's a risk of using the contents of a dented can. If I see anything dented on a supermarket shelf, whether it's canned tomatoes, canned pet food or canned anything, I won't buy it.

Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 10:09:16 AM »
Essen ,
so you would not use them? sent email today see post in other post dented  6 in 1s
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 11:02:59 PM »
I get bad cans of 6 in 1's every now in then that are just as you have described.  The tomatoes inside these inferior cans have a darker look....somewhat brown.  The good cans have a nice crisp stop sign red colored product inside.

I am assuming there are many opportunities for a case or a pallet load of cases to be left out in the sun, in a hot truck, etc. during their travels from the factory to your home or pizzeria.  Of course there is also the variable of how long this esoteric product has been sitting on a stores shelves.  Most Americans are not out there looking for escalon tomatoes like we do, so I think they often quite old by the time I get them.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 11:35:49 PM »
Scott and JC,

do a Google search on dented cans and botulism. It's quite scary what you'll find.

Some things I've found:

When a can is dented near a seam or a junction, it makes it possible for air to enter the can. A sharp dent can cause a pinhole in the can, which could also allow air to enter. This air, combined with the moisture in the can, allows the growth of microorganisms. These microorganisms cannot be killed by cooking. Consumption of this food could potentially result in botulism. Cans that are bulging or have rust that will not wipe off are also deemed unsafe.

Feel the can and visually inspect it. SAFE cans have smooth dents, dents that are not on the seams, dents that do not compromise can junctures.

DISCARD cans with dents on seams, dents where side and end meet, sharp dents, swelling or bulging, rust that does not wipe off If in doubt, throw it out.

The tiniest break in the seal can allow botulism in, which does not ned oxygen to grow. Botulism is toxic and fatal when ingested, or at best case, you're only a quadriplegic.

Avoid cans w/ dents on the top or bottom rims, or on the side seam. If there is a dent opposite the side seam, and it doesn't affect any other seam (small dent), it's fine. If it compromises the seams leave it alone.

And a link:

http://www.cdc.gov/nczved/dfbmd/disease_listing/botulism_gi.html
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline djones148

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 11:42:34 PM »
I get bad cans of 6 in 1's every now in then that are just as you have described.  The tomatoes inside these inferior cans have a darker look....somewhat brown.  The good cans have a nice crisp stop sign red colored product inside.

I am assuming there are many opportunities for a case or a pallet load of cases to be left out in the sun, in a hot truck, etc. during their travels from the factory to your home or pizzeria.  Of course there is also the variable of how long this esoteric product has been sitting on a stores shelves.  Most Americans are not out there looking for escalon tomatoes like we do, so I think they often quite old by the time I get them.

Yeah, the tomatoes did look somewhat dark so I guess I got a bad can or batch. As I mentioned in the dented can thread, the cans I got (ordered through Escalon's website) were almost 3 years old as indicated by the code on the bottom. 

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 09:40:11 AM »
Holy Crap!
That sounds serious. Yes one of the dents is by the seam. Bye Bye,  :'( guess I just wasted $20.00  I have 2 good 2006 cans if they are not brown inside.
The #10 can  I bought locally was like you mentioned bright red and great tasting. If anyone in Northern NJ knows of a retailer ?? or wants to save a little I will split the fresh #10 so you'll get about 2 1/2 cans for $2.00 and well all be happy.
John

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 08:41:13 AM »
Sorry about your 6-in-1's. :'(

I love 'em though. I can eat the sauce by the spoonfuls. To me, Just the sauce and MAYBE a little garlic is enough for flavoring a pizza. Also, remember everyone has different tastes, and what was eaten beforehand can greatly affect the taste of tomatoes. (Ever brush your teeth and drink tomato juice? ARGHHH!)

Offline Y-TOWN

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 12:20:17 PM »
I found the post on date codes for 6n1

The small cans I just purchased had a code like this

Fres = Product (6n1)
3     = production line

FRES 3 067H21  G 12:55

Anyone got a clue what date this can was manufactured?

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 02:14:41 PM »
I found the post on date codes for 6n1

The small cans I just purchased had a code like this

Fres = Product (6n1)
3     = production line

FRES 3 067H21  G 12:55

Anyone got a clue what date this can was manufactured?

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5085.msg43128.html#msg43128 This post has what you seek!

PNW

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 02:16:51 PM »
Y thats the  2006 product we are talking about on the other thread. Were they mail order? see my thread there in sauce ingredients dented 6in1 cans (split) theres a link provided by DJ that explains how to read to code month date...oops to slow thanks PNW hes there favorite customer
JOhn
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 02:18:58 PM by JConk007 »

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 02:31:39 PM »
Yes indeed they are such a great company that they are shipping 2006 cans to small retail customers who they think won't notice or have a way to read the dates - OOPS by accident that is ! LOL

The more I read about them combined with personal experience the less likely it is that I would ever buy a 6 in 1 can again.

btw - the more modern cans have seams only where the top lid is attached. No longer side seamed - it looks like an extruded can which I assume reduces the danger of a leak caused by a dent.

PNW

Offline Y-TOWN

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 11:22:35 PM »

PNW,

Thanks I found that post but it doesn't seem to work with the numbers from the can I have (mine has more numbers) -

Maybe that code is used for the #10 cans - mine is a 32 oz can small can

Offline BTB

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 11:25:12 AM »
I have been a big, big fan of Escalon's 6 in 1 product unlike you, dj.  But I am concerned about the can dating issue and wrote about it at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7621.msg66008.html#msg66008.  --BTB

Offline djones148

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2009, 12:41:31 PM »
Just an update -- I wrote to Escalon and they were very nice and sent me another case. As mentioned in the other threads, the cans were 2008, not 2006 so I'm sorry I contributed to the confusion over that. I just cracked open a can from the new shipment and they were very good -- the color seemed more bright red then the can which disappointed me. I guess it was just a problem with excess heat during shipment or something like that.

Kudos to Escalon for the great service and concern.

Offline WestCountry

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2009, 02:53:30 PM »
Ok...I just ordered a 6 pack from Escalon...as I am looking for some new brands to try! These look and sound great, and shipping was not as heavy as I expected :)

Chris

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2009, 05:32:06 PM »
These really are the bomb ! great taste and very versitile product drain, straight , puree.... Great for the deep dish with a little drsain and a few spices!!
JOhn

Offline Matthew

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 06:57:11 AM »
These really are the bomb ! great taste and very versitile product drain, straight , puree.... Great for the deep dish with a little drsain and a few spices!!
JOhn

I must agree,  I usually use DOP San Marzano's & I the tried 6 in 1's yesterday for the first time & was extremely happy,  excellent product.  I used them to make NY style pizza.  I didn't bother draining them, just pureed them & they were the perfect consistency for NY pizza.  I could see why you may want to drain them for making deep dish.  My typical procedure San Marzanos is to remove the stem & seeds & them run them through the mill or boat motor to get them to the right consistency.  With the 6 in 1's I just pureed them with the boat motor, no need to worry about the seeds because there are none.  In case you haven't noticed, I can't stand seeds in my sauce.

Offline waynesize

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2009, 08:24:18 PM »
I am giving the 6 in 1's another try.  I was not impressed some time ago when I tried them.  After reading some threads about can codes and production dates, I think I had some old product.  Found some with a more recent production date.  Made sauce last night.  I did notice a more fresh aroma and look to this can.  Will see this weekend how the sauce turns out.

Wayne

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2009, 03:45:46 AM »

I must agree,  I usually use DOP San Marzano's & I the tried 6 in 1's yesterday for the first time & was extremely happy,  excellent product.  I used them to make NY style pizza.  I didn't bother draining them, just pureed them & they were the perfect consistency for NY pizza.  I could see why you may want to drain them for making deep dish.  My typical procedure San Marzanos is to remove the stem & seeds & them run them through the mill or boat motor to get them to the right consistency.  With the 6 in 1's I just pureed them with the boat motor, no need to worry about the seeds because there are none.  In case you haven't noticed, I can't stand seeds in my sauce.
Why? I like seeds.

Offline Matthew

• Supporting Member
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2009, 06:52:15 AM »
Why? I like seeds.

Hi Terry,
Just my preference, I still use San Marzano tomatoes in my Pasta Sauces.  I puree half of the sauce when it's complete & then mix it with the rest of the sauce that has been hand crushed.  By removing the seeds I don't have to worry about my sauce becoming bitter after I puree it.  For pizza, I use 6 in 1's and don't have to worry about the seeds.  I have a can of Alta Cucina & 7/11's that I'm going to try.    I believe that's what you use.  Do you puree the Alta Cucina's?

Matt
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 02:59:06 PM by Matthew »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2009, 11:52:11 AM »
Why? I like seeds.

Terry, tomato seeds are definitely a cause of bitterness in tomato products, but also impart a good deal of other flavors as well.  I noticed that you said that you are using Stanislaus products, and those tomatoes have been bread and processed to produce a very low seed count.  There are a number of tomato brands, both cheaper american brands and more expensive Italian imports that if not de seeded can have an overly bitter flavor that is distracting.... almost overpowering what we think of as the classic tomato flavor.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 01:36:58 PM by scott r »

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2009, 11:53:58 AM »
Hi Terry,
Just my preference, I still use San Marzano tomatoes in my Pasta Sauces.  I puree half of the sauce when it's complete & then mixed it with the rest of the sauce that has been hand crushed.  By removing the seeds I don't have to worry about my sauce becoming bitter after I puree it.  For pizza, I use 6 in 1's and don't have to worry about the seeds.  I have a can of Alta Cucina & 7/11's that I'm going to try.    I believe that's what you use.  Do you puree the Alta Cucina's?

Matt
I use the immersion mixer on them.

Offline waynesize

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2009, 03:08:21 PM »
I just got off of the phone with a very nice lady named Linda from Escalon.  I brought to her attention that my local grocery store had 6 in 1's on their shelf that were canned in 2005.  She is going to contact the grocery store to see why they have such outdated products in stock.  Thankfully, I did not use the can that I bought.  I was able to determine its age from one of the posts here on the forum.  Linda was very appreciative of the information about the old product and is sending some replacement product directly to me.  I am impressed with Escalon's customer service, and I will have sauce made with 6 in 1's for a while.  :chef:

Wayne