Author Topic: I'm I the only one who doesn't like 6 in 1's?  (Read 4811 times)

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
Re: I'm I the only one who doesn't like 6 in 1's?
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2009, 03:45:46 AM »

I must agree,  I usually use DOP San Marzano's & I the tried 6 in 1's yesterday for the first time & was extremely happy,  excellent product.  I used them to make NY style pizza.  I didn't bother draining them, just pureed them & they were the perfect consistency for NY pizza.  I could see why you may want to drain them for making deep dish.  My typical procedure San Marzanos is to remove the stem & seeds & them run them through the mill or boat motor to get them to the right consistency.  With the 6 in 1's I just pureed them with the boat motor, no need to worry about the seeds because there are none.  In case you haven't noticed, I can't stand seeds in my sauce.
Why? I like seeds.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2009, 06:52:15 AM »
Why? I like seeds.

Hi Terry,
Just my preference, I still use San Marzano tomatoes in my Pasta Sauces.  I puree half of the sauce when it's complete & then mix it with the rest of the sauce that has been hand crushed.  By removing the seeds I don't have to worry about my sauce becoming bitter after I puree it.  For pizza, I use 6 in 1's and don't have to worry about the seeds.  I have a can of Alta Cucina & 7/11's that I'm going to try.    I believe that's what you use.  Do you puree the Alta Cucina's?

Matt
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 02:59:06 PM by Matthew »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2009, 11:52:11 AM »
Why? I like seeds.

Terry, tomato seeds are definitely a cause of bitterness in tomato products, but also impart a good deal of other flavors as well.  I noticed that you said that you are using Stanislaus products, and those tomatoes have been bread and processed to produce a very low seed count.  There are a number of tomato brands, both cheaper american brands and more expensive Italian imports that if not de seeded can have an overly bitter flavor that is distracting.... almost overpowering what we think of as the classic tomato flavor.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 01:36:58 PM by scott r »

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2009, 11:53:58 AM »
Hi Terry,
Just my preference, I still use San Marzano tomatoes in my Pasta Sauces.  I puree half of the sauce when it's complete & then mixed it with the rest of the sauce that has been hand crushed.  By removing the seeds I don't have to worry about my sauce becoming bitter after I puree it.  For pizza, I use 6 in 1's and don't have to worry about the seeds.  I have a can of Alta Cucina & 7/11's that I'm going to try.    I believe that's what you use.  Do you puree the Alta Cucina's?

Matt
I use the immersion mixer on them.

Offline waynesize

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2009, 03:08:21 PM »
I just got off of the phone with a very nice lady named Linda from Escalon.  I brought to her attention that my local grocery store had 6 in 1's on their shelf that were canned in 2005.  She is going to contact the grocery store to see why they have such outdated products in stock.  Thankfully, I did not use the can that I bought.  I was able to determine its age from one of the posts here on the forum.  Linda was very appreciative of the information about the old product and is sending some replacement product directly to me.  I am impressed with Escalon's customer service, and I will have sauce made with 6 in 1's for a while.  :chef:

Wayne

pizzapan