Author Topic: Jets pizza  (Read 77358 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Jets pizza
« Reply #140 on: December 01, 2011, 08:06:49 PM »
Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Tommy Nott

« Reply #141 on: December 03, 2011, 09:08:23 PM »
Hi Norma,

That looks really good!

Examining the pics, though, I have some constructive comments:

It looks like the dough in your pizza is cooked all the way through from bottom to top.

In a Jets pizza, the bottom half of the dough is cooked, but the top half (up to the sauce) is still kind of raw, which gives the pizza a "chewy texture", which is a great contrast with the crunchy bottom. Check out this picture - it is a side view of a Jets small square with the cheese peeled back. You can see the dough is cooked up to just under the half-inch mark - I have drawn a line in the pic to show where it changes:

I'm thinking that, by Jets standards, that pizza might be a little overcooked (no "raw chewy dough" left in it).

Are you baking it at 475 degrees for 7-8 minutes?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #142 on: December 03, 2011, 09:23:09 PM »
Hi Norma,

That looks really good!

Examining the pics, though, I have some constructive comments:

It looks like the dough in your pizza is cooked all the way through from bottom to top.

In a Jets pizza, the bottom half of the dough is cooked, but the top half (up to the sauce) is still kind of raw, which gives the pizza a "chewy texture", which is a great contrast with the crunchy bottom. Check out this picture - it is a side view of a Jets small square with the cheese peeled back. You can see the dough is cooked up to just under the half-inch mark - I have drawn a line in the pic to show where it changes:

I'm thinking that, by Jets standards, that pizza might be a little overcooked (no "raw chewy dough" left in it).

Are you baking it at 475 degrees for 7-8 minutes?

Tommy,

I always like constructive comments.  Thanks for yours since you have eaten real Jetís pizzas.  I never tried a real Jetís pizza.  I see what you mean by the top half being kind of raw.  Thanks for posting that picture.  I donít think my steel pan is seasoned enough to be able to get a crunchy bottom.  I am not baking at 475 for 7 to 8 minutes.  My deck oven is right around 525 degrees F.  I could change the temperature, but then my market pies wouldnít turn out right.  I will work on the Jetís pizza again in the future. 

Thanks so much for your help in this thread!  :)

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #143 on: December 06, 2011, 10:07:23 PM »
I made another attempt for a Jetís pizza today.  The only thing I changed was I used Better for Bread flour in the same formulation I had tried last week.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #144 on: December 06, 2011, 10:08:20 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #145 on: December 06, 2011, 10:09:27 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #146 on: December 06, 2011, 10:10:47 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #147 on: December 06, 2011, 10:12:06 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #148 on: December 06, 2011, 10:13:27 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #149 on: December 06, 2011, 10:14:51 PM »
Norma

Offline Tommy Nott

« Reply #150 on: December 11, 2011, 07:06:50 PM »
Eureka! It looks like you got it! :)

Looking at those pics with the side view, it looks much more like the bottom half is crunchy and heading up to the upper half of the dough it's still more raw/chewy.  Did it have that crunchy/chewy texture when you bit into it? (I realize you haven't had an actual Jets pizza so you don't know if it was exact - but those pictures seem to match mine fairly closely!)

Nice work!

How did you achieve that? Different temps or cooking times? Or, as you said, was the type of dough used actually the only difference?

-Tommy Nott

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #151 on: December 11, 2011, 08:57:37 PM »
Eureka! It looks like you got it! :)

Looking at those pics with the side view, it looks much more like the bottom half is crunchy and heading up to the upper half of the dough it's still more raw/chewy.  Did it have that crunchy/chewy texture when you bit into it? (I realize you haven't had an actual Jets pizza so you don't know if it was exact - but those pictures seem to match mine fairly closely!)

Nice work!

How did you achieve that? Different temps or cooking times? Or, as you said, was the type of dough used actually the only difference?

-Tommy Nott

Tommy,

Thanks for your kind words.  :) I am only estimating what a Jetís pizza is like, since I never really tasted a real Jetís pizza.  My attempt at the bake was better than before, but I donítí think I am there yet.  The bottom crust did have some crunch, but I donít really think it was enough.  I really donít know if my blue steel pans are seasoned enough or not.  Really, the only difference in my last attempt compared to the last two attempts was I changed the flour to Better for Bread flour and my steel pans are getting seasoned better.  I really canít change my baking temperatures because I bake my normal pizzas for market at 525 degrees F, so that is what I had to go with.  If you attempt a Jetís pizza at home you can adjust your oven temperature or use different rack positions.

Norma

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #152 on: December 11, 2011, 09:07:57 PM »
The Queen of Sicilian is back!  ;D

Seriously Norma, that's a hell of a good looking pizza. I have never tried my hands on Sicilian-style but might as well get to it finally. I have one question, though...

In the pic below, is that liquid inside the container and on top of the dough?

Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #153 on: December 11, 2011, 09:39:13 PM »
The Queen of Sicilian is back!  ;D

Seriously Norma, that's a hell of a good looking pizza. I have never tried my hands on Sicilian-style but might as well get to it finally. I have one question, though...

In the pic below, is that liquid inside the container and on top of the dough?

Mike,

Lol!  :-D Thanks for your kind words about the Jetís attempt.  :)  I donít know how you would like Jetís pizza, but Steve, my taste testers, some customers that have tasted them, and I really do like pizzas that are made in a pan.  They are a lot easier to do than NY style pizzas because there is no stretching the dough ball out and the bake temperature really doesnít have to be real hot.  Looking forward to seeing you try something like a Jetís pizza, Buddyís or Shields, or maybe a Victor Pig pizza, if you decide to try any of them!  ;D

That picture you posted must have the light shining on it the wrong way.  There was no liquid in the container.  Maybe it was my fingers that cast that shadow.  It does look like liquid in the container.

Norma

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #154 on: December 11, 2011, 09:51:26 PM »
Mike,

Lol!  :-D Thanks for your kind words about the Jetís attempt.  :)  I donít know how you would like Jetís pizza, but Steve, my taste testers, some customers that have tasted them, and I really do like pizzas that are made in a pan.  They are a lot easier to do than NY style pizzas because there is no stretching the dough ball out and the bake temperature really doesnít have to be real hot.  Looking forward to seeing you try something like a Jetís pizza, Buddyís or Shields, or maybe a Victor Pig pizza, if you decide to try any of them!  ;D

That picture you posted must have the light shining on it the wrong way.  There was no liquid in the container.  Maybe it was my fingers that cast that shadow.  It does look like liquid in the container.

Norma

Norma,

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't know what it was and thought it looked like some form of liquid which was maybe required to proof the dough.

Anyway, I will try my hands on a Sicilian in the next few days and post them in a new thread.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline Tommy Nott

« Reply #155 on: December 18, 2011, 12:40:38 PM »
I had to do a double-take at that picture too, it really does look like liquid at first glance.

However, after looking at it more closely - I'd say what we are seeing is the top rim of the container being a bit "refracted" through the plastic.  If you follow the rim around you can see it goes right into what looks like the "top line of the liquid" ... it's just the rim.

Good catch, though - I had never noticed that before.

-Tommy nott

Offline segfault

« Reply #156 on: December 18, 2011, 08:06:01 PM »
I used Norma's recipe and here are my results.  I cooked @ 475, bottom rack, 18min.  KAAP flour, blue steel pan seasoned with corn oil

Offline segfault

« Reply #157 on: December 18, 2011, 08:07:12 PM »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #158 on: December 18, 2011, 09:42:49 PM »
segfault,

Thanks for posting your results with using my formulation.  Your Jetís attempt really looks great!  ;D Did your bottom crust turn out crunchy?  Did you ever eat a real Jetís pizza?  If you did what did you think of the results of your attempt?  Since I have never eaten a real Jetís pizza I really donít have anything to compare my results with.

Great job!  :)

Norma

Offline segfault

« Reply #159 on: December 18, 2011, 11:31:56 PM »
Hi Norma,

My bottom crust was indeed very crunchy and the dough reminded me of eating a Jets pizza.  I live in Michigan and Jets deep dish is actually my favorite pizza.  In my estimation, my attempt was a touch overcooked, but I recently moved, and am still tweaking cook times for my oven :)

I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but I used the Deep-Dish Dough Calculation Tool and set the "how far up the sides of the pan will the dough go" setting to 1".  I noticed you used the expanded dough calculation tool.  Everything else in my attempt was the same. 

I'm new here, but would love to contribute to anything needed to clone Jet's pizza, in particular, I'm interested in figuring out how to make a "jet fuel" clone :)

pizzapan