Author Topic: First reviews are in - Varasano's  (Read 9109 times)

Offline s00da

Re: First reviews are in - Varasano's
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2009, 03:09:06 PM »
your right, but im pretty sure Brians is the latest model.  Its been around for a number of years now.  The difference is that Jeffs oven can actually do an authentic Neapolitan style unlike the bakers prides.  I have used brians model, and although they can get hot, the fastest you can bake a pizza in one is about 3 min, unlike the 1-1.5 min required for Neapolitan.  Jeffs ovens are much better insulated as well, so there is less heat transfer to the kitchen.   

It is true that Jeff's ovens reach 932 max temp and I confirmed it with the manufacturer. They actually have nice smaller models that  reach the same temp. But I must comment that a true Neapolitan pizza is not just about the temp as the flame plays a factor. Looking at the pics of Jeff's pizza on flickr, I can see that leoparding and the amber color are not really that authentic. I believe Jeff is replicating the pizzas he made in his modified home oven and as he states in his page:"In Naples, the dough is very soft and hard to hold and often eaten with a knife and fork. NY street pizza is easily folded and held. They typically use a strong Hi Gluten Flour. My pies are closer to the Neapolitan, but not quite. You can still hold it, but sometimes it flops a bit at the tip.
"

Personally, I believe Jeff's pies are closer to coal fired oven pizzas.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 03:11:24 PM by s00da »

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2009, 09:02:03 AM »
Thanks Pete and all - I didn't see that other post (re: bakepartner.com).
Patrick

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2009, 12:16:01 PM »
Personally, I believe Jeff's pies are closer to coal fired oven pizzas.

I thought that is what he was going for. It seems to me that, that is what he knows and loves the most. IMO, he should make his staight up Patsy's style pie because you can tell by his writings that Patsy's and the pies he's made that are closest to Patsy's, are really what get him excited. Maybe they would get his customers excited too. I haven't been to his place so maybe that's what he is doing. I don't know.

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2009, 05:08:03 PM »
scott, do you know how much those bakepartner ovens cost?  Now that Jeff broke the ice with UL, does that mean we get to buy them without going through that pain?

:chef:
Patrick

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2009, 05:24:53 PM »
im not sure what they ended up costing, but yes, they are now UL approved!   Christer is the the guy you want to talk to, and he should (eventually) respond to your emails.  Good luck!

Offline bicster

« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2009, 08:06:43 PM »
im not sure what they ended up costing, but yes, they are now UL approved!   Christer is the the guy you want to talk to, and he should (eventually) respond to your emails.  Good luck!

Sill waiting for a response from them, do you know if the smallest one can be used in the home? 

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2011, 06:11:45 PM »
I know this is an old thread, but reading it I had to put my 2 in.....

Someone ACTUALLY thinks that you can get a pizza in your hands in 15 MINUTES when the pizzeria is "REALLY BUSY?"  Its GOTTA be that the words "really" and "busy" have personal meanings......ANY, ANY, ANY person who does this for a living knows absolutely that this is as possible as flying.....it just is.  The pizza maker won't even READ that ticket  for AT LEAST 15 minutes, and that basically means that there are only a dozen or so pies ahead of your order......and a ticket board with a dozen pies on it AIN'T really really busy.