Author Topic: Think Cracker Crust Questions Please  (Read 2327 times)

Offline ladybugmandy

Think Cracker Crust Questions Please
« on: March 30, 2009, 12:16:33 AM »
i am amazed to find this website dedicated to pizza crust!! this is wild!!!

i was wondering..for the thin flakey cracker-like crust, you mentioned using active dry yeast but it does not say to activate the yeast in warm water and sugar prior to adding it to the dough mixture. isn't that necessary??

also, every website i look at insists on the use of a pizza stone for baking. will that work also?

also, why do you have to prick dough once its on the baking sheet. arent the air pockets desirable?

thank you!
sue

Offline BTB

Re: Think Cracker Crust Questions Please
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 08:35:06 AM »
Sue, welcome to the site.  You'll learn that there are many differences of opinion on these points and others.  Mine are:

1.  I strongly prefer and only use ADY yeast for pizzamaking, putting it (and stirring it a bit) in water warmed to between 100 and 110 degrees F (and no hotter - use a small thermometer) for approx. 8 to 10 minutes until it foams up nicely.  It gets problematic if you allow it to foam up for 20 minutes or longer before adding it to the flour.  If it doesn't foam up, the yeast should be discarded as either it was no good or water too hot or cold.  Tom Lehmann, the Dough Dr., advices against putting salt or sugar in the water used to proof the yeast, but many of our members here put in a pinch or more of sugar in the yeast water.
2.  I used to use a pizza stone but mine is collecting dust as I prefer baking pizzas in a cutter pan for thin and cracker crusts or a deep dish pan for Chicago Style deep dish.  But for NY and eastern style pizzas, which I don't do much of, I think a pizza stone would be advantageous.  And others use one for other styles as well.  Best to experiment.
3.  I generally dock the pizza skin (for cracker crusts) to minimize the rise in the dough and the air pockets when par baking the crust.  I like a little but not a lot of them so that the sauce, cheese and toppings that are applied after par baking lay relatively flat on the pizza.  But I guess much of this is an individual preference matter.  Docking a thin crust pizza is not uncommon in commercial applications.  But for some styles, it is often not done.  Again, best to experiment.

Good luck and enjoy your pizzamaking.                              --BTB
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 08:36:53 AM by BTB »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 01:31:04 PM »
i was wondering..for the thin flakey cracker-like crust, you mentioned using active dry yeast but it does not say to activate the yeast in warm water and sugar prior to adding it to the dough mixture. isn't that necessary??

Sue,

As you will see from this thread, http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8228.msg70910.html#msg70910, there are a couple of ways of activating active dry yeast (ADY).

Peter

buceriasdon

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 06:36:28 PM »
Hi Sue, I made a cracker style just last night, we all loved it. I use a low gluten flour for thin crusts, well, maybe I should explain, here in Mexico the flours lack suffcient gluten so for other styles of pizza I add gluten to the flour. I don`t prick my crusts as they don`t rise all that much upon baking and have never found the need with low gluten flours to prick. Your flours may differ but part of the fun of pizza making is the experimentation. I have a custom made, wink, wink, gas fired oven and I use a large diameter clay planter base to bake on. I do suggest placing the dough in the fridge for a couple of days after mixing and or kneading then taking it out and allowing it to come close to room temp. before rolling the skin out.
     Have fun and please do share your pizza making adventures with us.
 Warm regards, Don

Offline Vinnie

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 10:50:26 AM »
As a chef I shouldn't share my secrets..hehe ::) but I use half all purpose and half bread formula flour for my recipe along with only half of Dry yeast usage and the result for me is a perfect textured crust....plus it saves me money.... ;D