Author Topic: My second Lou Malnati's style pizza since joining this forum  (Read 2831 times)

Offline davidgpo

My second Lou Malnati's style pizza since joining this forum
« on: March 29, 2009, 06:59:05 PM »
Hello,

I want to share my photos of my second LM style pizza.  I was raised in Chicago, but have been living in Seattle since 1977.
The first came out pretty well too.  The pizza is topped with mushrooms, onions, green peppers, Mozzarella and Romano cheese and vegetarian sausage.
Thank you all for your remarkable recipes!

David

Offline Crider

Vegetarian sausage?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 01:23:06 PM »
What kind and is it tasty?

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
Re: My second Lou Malnati's style pizza since joining this forum
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 02:53:42 PM »
Let us know exactly what recipe you used and, if possible, post some larger pics.  What you've shown looks good, though.

Loo
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline davidgpo

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 10:58:58 PM »
When I originally tried to post larger photos the site denied the upload because the photo were too big.  I will try again with a separate post.  I finished off the leftovers tonight and I could have sworn I was in Chicago!  Oh yeah!

The recipe I used is derived from "BTB"s post.  Here is what I've done:

DOUGH                                                                       SAUCE
1 tablespoon yeast                                                        3  14-1/2 oz. Cans of petite cut, diced tomatoes
1-1/4 cup warm water
1 tsp honey                                                                   CHEESE
1/3 cup olive oil                                                            5 oz Romano (grated)
1-1/2 cup semolina flour                                               1-1/4 LB Mozzarella (sliced)
2 cups white AP flour                                                    Parmesan (grated)

4 vegetarian sausage patties (quartered)

Dissolve 1 tablespoons of yeast in 1-1/4 cup warm water with 1 tsp honey, 1/3 cup olive oil, add 2 cups white flour plus 1-1/2 cup semolina flour.
Mix for not more than 2 minutes, store covered by towel in a warm place for 2 hours.
After 2 hours punch down and knead again for a couple of minutes. Spread in a deep dish pan and allow to rise for 20 minutes.  There should be extra dough to make another pizza at a smaller size.
Add sliced mozzarella cheese then what ever toppings you like & Romano cheese, then top off with sauce,
sprinkle garlic powder, oregano, pepper & basil on top then top that with grated parmesan.

For the sauce I used three 14-1/2 oz cans of salt free petite cut diced tomatoes which has to have the liquid drained out in a strainer for at least 3 hours.
Some folks like to simmer the sauce with the spices for an hour, that's up to you.  I don't do that as it makes for long day in the kitchen.

Bake for 35 minutes at 375 degrees.

My pizza pans are 12" diameter.

Post production notes:
I've noticed Lou Malnati's, Uno's and other posters here on the forum usually cook pizzas until the edges of the crust begin to blacken.  I'm not adverse to that, it must be my inner caveman instincts, but I'm afraid of going too far and ruining a great pizza.  Don't get me wrong the crust came out great, it was not under-cooked -- I just want to get as authentic as I can.
My next project will increase the cooking time by 5 minutes.

Offline davidgpo

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 11:01:59 PM »
PS.
Someone asked if it is tasty.  Oh yes!  I don't have health problems but I've been noticing that salty foods have been dehydrating me to a point where it takes much fluids to re-hydrate so I don't cook with salt at all.  I've cut down, way down on eating processed foods.  You will have to season my recipe to your tastes.

David

Offline davidgpo

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 11:03:34 PM »
Let's try this photo.

David
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 11:25:37 PM by davidgpo »

Offline davidgpo

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 11:27:20 PM »
Here are the other shots

Offline BTB

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 09:10:41 AM »
David, great to have you join our site and contribute to our mutual love of good pizza.  I'm not certain what recipe you utilized, but the proportion of semolina you used is high (est. 42%).  The highest I did was 35% and I've developed a preference since then for the 20 to 25% range, but I understand others have went as high as 50%, so if you found it tasty, that's all that counts.  A whole Tablespoon of yeast, however, I would normally think is too much for any one pizza.  I wonder if you meant "teaspoon" instead?  I just made a 12" deep dish last Sunday and added 3/4's of a teaspoon of ADY and the dough rose quite a bit with that. 

You also cook at a lower temperature than many who normally would cook this style pizza in the 425 to 475 degree F range, but I sense you selected 375 to avoid getting a char or darker color to the edges of the pizza, which is fine.  Many a pizza lover, especially NY and  CT pizza lovers, cherish that char or slightly burnt edge, but that's a matter of personal preference.

Nice pictures.  Keep up the good work and let us know about your successes, which will be many I'm sure.     --BTB

Offline davidgpo

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 09:25:26 PM »
BTB,

Thanks for the tips!  That was your recipe that I butchered, sorry mate.  I'm not an expert so I don't cook with a scale.  I tried to refine your weight figures to make it easier for me.
As I was pressing the dough in the pan I noticed that the sides were slowly sliding down.  I was wondering if I had too much olive oil in the dough?  I'm going to try 1/4 cup next time.
Thanks for tips, I really appreciate your input.  I always do a post-mortem to determine how I want to improve my recipe and I will try your suggestions.

I love this site!

David

Offline BTB

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 08:35:14 AM »
David, yes that can be a problem with the oil pushing up the sides of the pan when pressing the dough in and causing the edge or lip of the pizza dough to slide down.  Besides reducing the amount of oil, 3 alternate suggestions: 

1.  Use a little Crisco or the like instead of oil (and remember to use it only on the bottom of the pan and not the sides); or
2.  Use Crisco and after you have the dough pressed out in the pan, gently pick up approx. half of the dough and squirt a Tablespoon of olive oil in the center and put the dough back down and repeat on the other half.  You may have to reset the dough in the pan somewhat; or
3.  Use a moderate amount of olive oil and if the oil should come up the edges of the pan and onto the edge or lip of the dough again (causing the edge or lip of the dough to slide down again), press, pinch or crimp the dough edge against the pan (and do so quickly around the entire circle of the pan) and let it rest for 10 to 20 minutes and repeat the crimping or pinching of the dough up against the pan.  And it may need to rest somewhat again before it stiffens up.  After you dressed the pizza and just before putting it in the oven, as a last thing, again crimp or pinch the edge of the pizza dough all around the pan.  When it hits the oven heat, it should stay up.

Glad you found the site.                                         --BTB
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 09:10:25 AM by BTB »

Offline davidgpo

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 01:04:27 AM »
BTB,

I like option #3 as I don't use Crisco, just for health reasons.
What is meant by the term "crimping"?
By "dough again", do you mean when the dough slides down the sides?

David

Offline BTB

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 09:14:02 AM »
David, I see I wasn't that clear.  Check out my modified answer in reply #9 above and see if that is more helpful.  Sometimes one thinks they are perfectly clear, but don't realize others read or see things differently.  --BTB

Offline davidgpo

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 11:15:42 PM »
By the way I really did use a full tablespoon of yeast.  I used 2 tablespoons on my first pizza.  I didn't really notice any difference in taste.  It's good to know that I can reduce the amount without any ill affect.
I used a lower baking temperature because I didn't know any better, I don't believe the recipe I followed mentioned a temperature at all.  Another good thing to know for my pizza #3!
 :chef:

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 06:12:04 AM »
In regards to your high yeast amount, Peter has done some experimenting that showed the higher oil content didn't allow for nearly as much oven spring as you'd get with lower or zero oil content doughs.  That little nugget was very useful when we were working on the Home Run Inn clone.  It's described here http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6009.msg51568.html#msg51568

Loo

Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline davidgpo

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 03:09:39 AM »
Sorry mate, I'm just a beginner.  That was way over my head!

pizzapan