Author Topic: pizza stone on outdoor grill ideas  (Read 4502 times)

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
pizza stone on outdoor grill ideas
« on: March 24, 2009, 02:30:31 PM »
I am obsessed with pizza, I work 12 hours a day at my pizzeria then go home and play with my pizza stone on my grill.i used the caputo flour with 65 % hydration . cooked it for about 2 minutes.then put it under the broiler to brown the top.I am trying to put a stone above the bottom stone to hold the upper heat.i am also trying wood chips for smoke.any thoughts?

Offline Mo

Re: pizza stone on outdoor grill ideas
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 02:40:08 PM »
I am obsessed with pizza, I work 12 hours a day at my pizzeria then go home and play with my pizza stone on my grill.i used the caputo flour with 65 % hydration . cooked it for about 2 minutes.then put it under the broiler to brown the top.I am trying to put a stone above the bottom stone to hold the upper heat.i am also trying wood chips for smoke.any thoughts?

Just off the top of my head, build a wood fired oven. Heck with all the stones and whatnot. Build a combo wood fired grill-oven-off set smoke chamber to suit all of your culinary needs (rotisserie optional). Seriously, though...

Otherwise, I know there's a lot on here about rigging your home oven's clean cycle to achieve a higher max temp...

Is your grill gas? I got a nice grill/smoker combo from home depot with a very wide grill that, now that you mention it, might accommodate a pizza. Since it burns wood already, I bet I could get it pretty darn hot.

Chips for smoke flavor? In my opinion, might be a little much, as I think the wood is intended as a heat source first and flavor agent second. In a two minute cook time, you won't ever get any smoke flavor in the pie. I smoke briskets for 8 hours and they are still mild.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 02:57:01 PM »

Have a look at this thread.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4753.0.html

Matt
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 07:08:55 PM by Matthew »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 04:55:30 PM »
Get a LBE  ;D
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline petef

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 07:23:09 PM »
cooked it for about 2 minutes.then put it under the broiler to brown the top.I am trying to put a stone above the bottom stone to hold the upper heat.i am also trying wood chips for smoke.any thoughts?

See my post (reply#4) The trick I use is variable heat to overcome the
common problem where the bottom burns before the top is cooked.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7190.0.html

---pete---

Offline joelife

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 02:22:27 PM »
I have thought about using my out door gas grill to cook pizza too - here are some of my hair brain ideas - I have not done this yet.  first I wll place  my pizza stone on the grill, then I will prop open the lid to the grill just enough so that I can get the peel in and out.  The lid can be propped open with some bricks or pieces of wood.  The idea is to create a doom and trap the heat.  the problem is that the heat can escape through the sides when the lid is open so maybe I can place some aluminum foil around the sides to help prevent the heat from escaping?  what do you think??

Joe

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 02:35:53 PM »
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline Matthew

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 02:49:38 PM »
Joe,

Check this out:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4753.0.html

Great, Another 300 page post! :-D

Sorry bro, couldn't resist!

Matt

Offline joelife

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 11:53:44 PM »
okay Matt now you got me going - how about this - now I have not done this but - I have a weber gas grill - it has a top that is hinged in the back and there is a handle to open and close the top - we could prop the lid up but the problem is the heat will escape out the sides and front.  Suppose we were to get some ceramic material, like a pizza stone - I would have to look at the forno bravo website to see what kind of ceramic tiles they have, but we could take the ceramic tiles and stand them up on the sides of the grill.  If you look there is a space between the wall of the grill and the grates.  the tiles could stand up and the lid would close on the tiles - get me.  Now there are 2 problems: 1) the space between the tiles. I suppose here we could look into some sort of material like grout or cement that is used in ovens.  2) the other problem is the front of the oven.  Here again the tiles could be used but they would have to rest on top of the grills because in my model there is not space in the front- without cutting the grills. But the idea is simple with a relatively small number of ceramic tiles we could create a boxed-like  structure with the lid of the grill propped up onto the structure and a small opening in the front where you could slide the pizza in and out - what do you think?? 

Joe

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 01:30:14 AM »
Joe,

why make life complicated for yourself when everything is already in front of you, incl. instructions on the gas grill issue?

Yes, you could experiment with those splits, tiles, firebricks and your gas grill. But you could also take a moment and read the referenced thread and then decide what you want to do.

Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline Matthew

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 06:17:20 AM »
okay Matt now you got me going - how about this - now I have not done this but - I have a weber gas grill - it has a top that is hinged in the back and there is a handle to open and close the top - we could prop the lid up but the problem is the heat will escape out the sides and front.  Suppose we were to get some ceramic material, like a pizza stone - I would have to look at the forno bravo website to see what kind of ceramic tiles they have, but we could take the ceramic tiles and stand them up on the sides of the grill.  If you look there is a space between the wall of the grill and the grates.  the tiles could stand up and the lid would close on the tiles - get me.  Now there are 2 problems: 1) the space between the tiles. I suppose here we could look into some sort of material like grout or cement that is used in ovens.  2) the other problem is the front of the oven.  Here again the tiles could be used but they would have to rest on top of the grills because in my model there is not space in the front- without cutting the grills. But the idea is simple with a relatively small number of ceramic tiles we could create a boxed-like  structure with the lid of the grill propped up onto the structure and a small opening in the front where you could slide the pizza in and out - what do you think?? 

Joe

Joe,
I'm with Mike,  if you are serious then read the entire thread, there is alot of excellent information there. There are alot of issues to consider with what you are proposing.  I'm not saying that it won't work; it may or may not.  I can guarantee you one thing; you'll be burning alot of pizza's & cracking alot of stones, trust me on this!  The LBE is a fantastic concept & best of all it works & it works well.  You can build a real simple version or you can go nuts.  Mike has conducted a ton of experimenting with his, listen to what he's telling you, he knows what he's talking about.

Matt

Offline garyd

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 07:58:09 PM »
I have been somewhat successful using my gas grill to cook pizza. I have a small Masturbuilt Veranda grill with a hinged lid:

http://ak.buy.com/db_assets/prod_lrg_images/726/203422726.jpg

With the lid down, I can get the temp up to 900 degrees. What I do is place the stone on an old small deep dish pizza pan which raises it up and causes the heat to flow up around the stone and into the dome so that the top cooks correctly. Because of the heat loss from opening the lid, it will cook a pizza in about 4 minutes with a good slightly charred bottom and well cooked top.