Author Topic: cooking pies on the grill tonight  (Read 140 times)

Offline cmwr

• I Love Pizza!
cooking pies on the grill tonight
« on: September 01, 2014, 12:24:13 PM »
I have a UDS (ugly drum smoker) that is modified for extra high temps. I built it for use with pizzas mainly and have not used it much since earlier this spring. I am making some pies tonight for our fantasy football get together and just wanted to ask if I would cook a pie more evenly if I lined the lid with aluminum foil to reflect some heat downward on the toppings? I think this time around I am going to leave the pie on the pizza pan to avoid the hassle of trying to slide it onto the rack. Past experience has not been nice to me in that category.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: cooking pies on the grill tonight
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 12:36:00 PM »
How much heat can you generate at pie level. My UDS fire is box is 23-28" below cooking grate. I have done HH cooks at 350f but probably tough to get too much high even with 4 intake vents. Please describe your UDS and the mods to get your high temps. Pics would be great. As far as top heat, foil may help. Never tried cooking pizza in mine.

Mark
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 12:45:14 PM by mkevenson »
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline cmwr

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 12:48:58 PM »
How much heat can you generate at pie level. My UDS fire is box is 23-28" below cooking grate. I have done HH cooks at 350f but probably tough to get too much high even with 4 intake vents. Please describe your UDS and the mods to get your high temps. Pics would be great. As far as top heat, foil may help. Never tried cooking pizza in mine.

Mark

I got 2 large slider draft controls on mine. I have had no problems maintaining 450-500 degrees and have had it as high as 550+. I built this last winter for this purpose and honestly I have only done a few pies so far. It has been sitting covered all summer. I know my bad. Anyways the last time I cooked some I left them on the pan for half the time then removed lid and slid them off onto the grate for the remainder. They always cooked well but I am looking to not have to remove the lid until the pie is done. I had nothing but troubles getting a pie to slide right off the pan raw onto the grate. That's why I did it this way. I do wonder ,though, if I did accomplish sliding the uncooked pie onto the grate if it wouldn't sag down between the bars especially on the ends.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 01:06:34 PM »
Cmwr, have you tried a pizza stone? One of the inherent difficulties with launching and retrieving a pie from a UDS, is the depth of the grate below the rim of the barrel. You could always cut a slot in the side of the barrel at the same height of the cooking grate for easier launch. You could also get the grate a bit closer to the fire ring, how you solve the top heat issue is problematic.

Mark

Offline cmwr

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 01:12:26 PM »
Cmwr, have you tried a pizza stone? One of the inherent difficulties with launching and retrieving a pie from a UDS, is the depth of the grate below the rim of the barrel. You could always cut a slot in the side of the barrel at the same height of the cooking grate for easier launch. You could also get the grate a bit closer to the fire ring, how you solve the top heat issue is problematic.

Mark

Yea my wife had a pampered chef stone and I tried it back in may and the thing cracked in three pieces during pre heat. Haven't bought another. I did think about moving my grate bolts closer to the top since this is mainly a pizza oven.  Some pics...

« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 01:20:21 PM by cmwr »

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 02:34:06 PM »
RedSky grilling makes a stone designed for Weber kettles. I have one. Don't think you can break it.

Mark

Offline cmwr

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 04:00:22 PM »
RedSky grilling makes a stone designed for Weber kettles. I have one. Don't think you can break it.

Mark

I may have to check into something like this. I don't have time today obviously lol so I will do them on my steel pans and see how they turn out. I may have to invest in a grill stone in the future though.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 04:28:12 PM »
Just out of curiosity, why use a grill/smoker to bake at temps you can reach effortlessly in a conventional oven?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline halfprice

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 04:36:51 PM »
I have the red sky that I used on the egg and later in my over. I like it alot. If using your uds I would suggust using a pizza screen. I would think that would easy the problem of loadind and unloading

Offline cmwr

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 09:38:45 PM »
Just out of curiosity, why use a grill/smoker to bake at temps you can reach effortlessly in a conventional oven?

Have you ever tasted pizza on a charcoal grill? Once you do you will never want one in a conventional oven again.  ;D There is just a unique flavor of a pie cooked over an open fire or in a brick oven compared to a conventional oven.

Everyone loved the pizzas. My wife said it was the best I have ever made to date. I got to admit though, even with the foil on my lid for reflection of radiant heat, the top, although done and tasty, did not get brown at all. I cannot seem to get the top to cook as fast as the bottom. I used 16" pizza pans to cook each pie. Despite that they were yummy.

pizzapan