Author Topic: Stretching Cold Dough  (Read 18 times)

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Stretching Cold Dough
« on: Today at 04:29:39 PM »
This past Friday, we made some pies.   A couple of the dough balls were made with a recipe from Ken Forkish in Flour Water Salt Yeast.  The dough was 70% hydration with sourdough starter (no commercial yeast) and bulk fermented overnight.  Then, the dough was divided, balled and cold fermented.

Forkish recommends that you stretch the dough right out of the fridge while it is cold.  He says that it will help you avoid tears that are possible/probable with the high hydration dough and be less "troublesome."

Given it was the first time I made his dough, I followed the instructions.  It was very "troublesome."  I found the dough harder to stretch than usual.  And, I ended up with a fairly full rim but at the sacrifice of a lot of very thin spots.  And, I had trouble getting the dough to my usual full 12+ inches with a 250 gram ball.  (He recommends 340 in the cookbook which is closer to a thickness factor of .1 vs. my usual of about .08 or less.).

The dough itself cooked up great and we all like it.  So, I will be making it again.  Does it make sense to you that I will be able to stretch better, with less risk of thin spots or tearing by letting the dough warm up first?  It does to me but I wanted to check with you folks to see if there was something I am missing here.

Thanks,
Mitch

pizzapan