Author Topic: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update  (Read 216043 times)

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update
« Reply #3900 on: August 27, 2015, 10:18:17 PM »
Pretty different from mussels, though, right? Mussels marinara is certainly a popular dish in these parts..makes me wonder how a tomato-based pie would work with mussels...I'm also thinking it's more an NY style thing, like a clam pie (okay, maybe New Haven) rather than the perfect topping for an NP (not that I know anything about NP's of course)..Probably no cheese or  maybe just a drop of grated parm post-bake,  some of those Calabrian chilies would go along well, I'd bet

Offline IIFYMpizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3901 on: August 28, 2015, 03:23:55 AM »
I think mussels with tomato sauce would work great, i would not go for cheese tho, for some reason i have a problem mixing fish/seafood with cheese unless its parmegiano regiano. On another note i always was tempted by the idea of bianca pizza but i found that they are usually mising something, in my case it seems that heavy cream is that missing piece of a puzzle.

On another note i did the mussels pie again and will make in the future for sure but today calls for a tomato&mozzarella tho, just have to figure out what i want to go on top of it. My dough starts to be consistent and predictible, opens up nicely and is workable, i think i need that 450-500 C 60-90 s bake to figure out what further adjustments i need to make to get were i want to be. I think studying both Craigs and Omids threads is going to be good place to start, these guys are amazing, blows my mind how much knowledge they both have.
Jan
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 03:36:07 AM by IIFYMpizza »

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3902 on: August 28, 2015, 11:05:11 PM »
The latest Northridge Yuppie (NY) pizza creation.  Pizza sauce, Saputo mozz/asiago cheese blend, mild sopressata (first layer, underneath...sorry Craig), Italian sausage enhanced with Mike's Hot Honey and kalamata olives.  Rim brushed with garlic oil post-bake.  Baked for about 4:30 at around 675F or so.  The jury is still out on the semolina blend.   
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3903 on: August 29, 2015, 12:14:56 AM »
Lovin' that Jonas! Great minds....my next batch of dough is gonna have some semolina....😊😊😊
Bob

Online norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #3904 on: August 29, 2015, 09:08:59 AM »
Two pies from last night, the pepperoni was mine, I found some very yellow mozzarella cheese and decide to give it a try - it was OK but not as good as my usual cheese. The big news (for anyone looking to make a pie without cheese). My wife and I found a Vegan cheese shop in Portland. All the cheese we tried was outstanding. They had just made a batch of mozzarella they were using for Caprese sandwiches - it melted and tasted great so we picked some up for a pizza. It melted / browned great and the taste was out of this world. A while back a member was looking for a dairy free cheese but knew most of them will not melt properly. This stuff worked great - to be honest it was better then the yellow cheese on my pizza. Pictures below...

PS. The Vegan cheese shop was called Vtopian

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3905 on: August 29, 2015, 09:37:43 AM »

Lovin' that Jonas! Great minds....my next batch of dough is gonna have some semolina....

Thanks Bob.  You might want to try 10% to see what happens.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3906 on: August 29, 2015, 09:40:44 AM »

My wife and I found a Vegan cheese shop in Portland. All the cheese we tried was outstanding.
PS. The Vegan cheese shop was called Vtopian

That's vegan cheese?  Wow!

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3907 on: August 29, 2015, 10:10:45 AM »
First, Jonas...really nice pie! That 675 mentioned is on Blackstone? So you kept that launch temp steady through the bake? I love the crumb. What the temp of the R for your RT? After your RT, was there fridge time as well, or straight to counter for  baking?

Norcosia...that's a great melt and looks terrific.  What is vegan cheese made from? Have you tried other vegan options, like vegan sausage? From what I hear, Portland knows how to do vegan right. It's something I've barely tried and the first time was, uh, not so good. But I'm open to giving it more tries.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update
« Reply #3908 on: August 29, 2015, 12:45:33 PM »
That 675 mentioned is on Blackstone? So you kept that launch temp steady through the bake? I love the crumb. What the temp of the R for your RT? After your RT, was there fridge time as well, or straight to counter for  baking?

Yes, on the Blackstone.  I usually turn off the flame when I launch it and I don't turn it back on for about 1:30.  Then I turned it back on med-low (the stone dropped to 600F range at that point).  When I see that the bottom is just about there, I do one or two full rotations of the platter at full blast.  It's a bit of "driving", but it works for me.

Room temp was 76-77F, no refrigeration, but I used cold water (except for ADY activation).
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 03:35:32 PM by jsaras »

Offline PaperJam

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3909 on: August 29, 2015, 05:29:31 PM »
Been lurking for some time and finally created a pie worth posting here.

70% Hydration
12 Hour Poolish
48 Hour Cold Ferment
Electric Oven with Fibrament Stone

« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 08:18:26 PM by PaperJam »

Online norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #3910 on: August 29, 2015, 05:56:30 PM »
Norcosia...that's a great melt and looks terrific.  What is vegan cheese made from? Have you tried other vegan options, like vegan sausage? From what I hear, Portland knows how to do vegan right. It's something I've barely tried and the first time was, uh, not so good. But I'm open to giving it more tries.

Vegan Cheese can be made from a lot of things - predominantly, soy or nuts - I think nut based cheese is best but there are lots of ways to make it and some are much better than others - the normal grocery chain vegan cheeses are not so good. For Vegan cheese, try pretty much anything made by Miyoko's Kitchen or Punk Rawk Labs and you will like it. Vegan faux meat is usually pretty bad (IMHO). Generally, (I think) items made with Seitan and pea protein are better than the soy based products, but to be honest, Vegan meat has a long way to go before most people will like it. I have not found a good Vegan sausage but the Trader Joe's soy Chorizo is OK when sautÚd with onions and used in an appropriate dish.

Offline invertedisdead

• Ryan
« Reply #3911 on: August 29, 2015, 06:04:13 PM »
I have not found a good Vegan sausage but the Trader Joe's soy Chorizo is OK when sautÚd with onions and used in an appropriate dish.

Have you tried Field Roast?

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #3912 on: August 29, 2015, 09:31:46 PM »
A few pies from today's party. Thanks for looking!
1. Margherita
2. Close up Margherita
3. 1/2 pepperoni 1/2 sausage
4. Pepperoni & peppers
Chaz

Online jvp123

• Learning and loving it!
« Reply #3913 on: Yesterday at 01:27:30 AM »
A few pies from today's party. Thanks for looking!
1. Margherita
2. Close up Margherita
3. 1/2 pepperoni 1/2 sausage
4. Pepperoni & peppers

Nice work Chaz!  :chef:
Jeff

Online norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #3914 on: Yesterday at 07:41:48 AM »
Have you tried Field Roast?

That is funny because as you were typing I think I was at Costco buying this - I had never seen Field Roast at Costco before. But to answer you question, yes, I have tried many Field Roast products. Some I like very much - others, not so much. I have never found something I would put on a pizza and call sausage. Good pizza sausage is hard to find and putting a faux meat on my pie (to me) would be like spray painting a Lamborghini with a shake and rattle can. It just would not work for me. I will keep looking and trying different things but so far I have not found any good Italian faux sausage

PS. the Italian sausage with eggplant looks promising  :D

Offline invertedisdead

• Ryan
« Reply #3915 on: Yesterday at 01:40:00 PM »
That is funny because as you were typing I think I was at Costco buying this - I had never seen Field Roast at Costco before. But to answer you question, yes, I have tried many Field Roast products. Some I like very much - others, not so much. I have never found something I would put on a pizza and call sausage. Good pizza sausage is hard to find and putting a faux meat on my pie (to me) would be like spray painting a Lamborghini with a shake and rattle can. It just would not work for me. I will keep looking and trying different things but so far I have not found any good Italian faux sausage

PS. the Italian sausage with eggplant looks promising  :D

I have only tried the apple sage. My local store doesn't carry any others so I haven't got to try them yet. Interesting that Costco has the big mixed pack. They also have a pretty good organic veggie burger they carry.
I don't see anything wrong with putting faux meats ( or cheese) on a pizza but I'm still looking for the right ones too. I think they are close.

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #3916 on: Yesterday at 08:52:44 PM »
Nice work Chaz!  :chef:
Thank you jvp!
Chaz

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3917 on: Today at 01:06:11 AM »
This started as a Detroit, but it took a detour to Rome!

GM Superlative Flour - 100%, Water 67%, IDY - 0.6%, Salt - 2.2%, LDM - 1.5%.  Bulk cold-fermented for 18 hours, scaled and in balls for about 3 hours and then proofed in the pans for about an hour.

Saputo Mozz, mild sopresatta, pepperoni and Italian sausage (enhanced with Mike's hot honey).  Baked for about 8 minutes at 500F. After the bake I  added two racing stripes of pizza sauce (that's the "Detroit" part) followed by the "Roman" elements; arugula dressed with oil, lemon juice and truffle salt, grape tomato slices and some asiago cheese.

I made it for a family gathering and everyone thought it was a hit.

Offline PizzaManic

« Reply #3918 on: Today at 03:44:53 AM »
The latest Northridge Yuppie (NY) pizza creation.  Pizza sauce, Saputo mozz/asiago cheese blend, mild sopressata (first layer, underneath...sorry Craig), Italian sausage enhanced with Mike's Hot Honey and kalamata olives.  Rim brushed with garlic oil post-bake.  Baked for about 4:30 at around 675F or so.  The jury is still out on the semolina blend.   

Oh my!  :drool: That Pizza looks delicious.
How was the crust? It looks sooooo tender  ^^^ - I bet you could bite into it even if you didn't have any teeth
Don't worry Gramps - you can have a bite of my Pizza even though you forgot your false teetch  :-D

Regards Mo

Online norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #3919 on: Today at 07:09:37 AM »
Two pies from last night - they were my last two dough balls from my old bag of flour - I'm excited to dig into my new bag of power flower for my next batch. First one is a Vegan for my wife and the second is my normal pepperoni.

I cut back on yeast since I knew these two dough balls would be in the refrigerator for 5 days. Let me tell you, the extra time really made a difference on the crust - they were both delicious. Both doughs were a little overblown when I made the pies -- so a bit harder to handle (plus I may have had some wine). They both tasted great but I have made rounder pies in my life  :-D

Anyway, thanks for looking !

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3920 on: Today at 09:25:09 AM »
Great pies norcoscia! Love the rustic look of the crusts!
Bob

pizzapan