Author Topic: Baker's yeast quantity prediction model - please compare to your results  (Read 14019 times)

Online waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
Re: Baker's yeast quantity prediction model - please compare to your results
« Reply #160 on: August 01, 2014, 03:57:47 PM »
I think a lot of people would be pretty happy with that pizza Walter, all things considered.

JD:  Thanks.  For eyeballing it all it was ok but did no justice to the concept.  It did show how forgiving dough really is and how one can get away with near murder :)  I look forward to trying it again when my new scale arrives. Good luck with your experiment!  Walter

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #161 on: August 03, 2014, 09:49:21 AM »
So my plan was for a 21hr room ferment, 9pm Friday - 6pm Saturday. I'd say the dough was ready to use after 17hrs. I ended up putting the dough in the fridge at the 17hr mark so I didn't have a completely overblown dough at 6. The picture is the 21hr mark after it was in the fridge for 3 hrs, and although round it is the bottom of the dough.

The pizza had a good flavor, different from a cold fermented dough all together. It's not really comparing apples to apples in my opinion. Interesting experiment and will try it again with adjusted yeast so I don't need to use the fridge at all. Please excuse the wally world cheese, I was out of the good stuff.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 09:52:39 AM by JD »
Josh

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #162 on: August 03, 2014, 10:03:36 AM »
So my plan was for a 21hr room ferment, 9pm Friday - 6pm Saturday. I'd say the dough was ready to use after 17hrs. I ended up putting the dough in the fridge at the 17hr mark so I didn't have a completely overblown dough at 6. The picture is the 21hr mark after it was in the fridge for 3 hrs, and although round it is the bottom of the dough.

The pizza had a good flavor, different from a cold fermented dough all together. It's not really comparing apples to apples in my opinion. Interesting experiment and will try it again with adjusted yeast so I don't need to use the fridge at all. Please excuse the wally world cheese, I was out of the good stuff.

Keep in mind that there are a lot of things that vary from one person's unique situation to another's. The purpose of the tables is to help you find a good starting point. It may work for you perfectly, but often the need for a bit of tweaking is to be expected.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #163 on: August 03, 2014, 12:06:05 PM »
Keep in mind that there are a lot of things that vary from one person's unique situation to another's. The purpose of the tables is to help you find a good starting point. It may work for you perfectly, but often the need for a bit of tweaking is to be expected.

Understood. I'm sure I can get very close next time. Even so,  with such a small amount of yeast and higher temperature the margin for error is huge. I'm happy with my results.
Josh

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #164 on: August 06, 2014, 08:45:59 PM »
I did another test but this time 28hrs at 75 degrees. The picture is the doughball after 21 hours. Still a little too ripe for my preference, but not overblown.

The flavor was much better than the first one I did for some reason. Comparable to a two or three day cold ferment IMO.
Josh

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #165 on: August 06, 2014, 09:15:44 PM »
Slice looks good.
Pizza is not bread.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #166 on: August 06, 2014, 10:07:21 PM »
JD is putting out some great looking pizza!  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline lanceberry

• Supporting Member
  • Lots to learn and loving it!
« Reply #167 on: August 13, 2014, 06:32:40 PM »
I am reading through this and find it very interesting, but wonder if anyone has the same thought that I just came up with for my house? Living in Houston we always use the AC. At our house it is set with auto thermostat for 72F when we are home at night, 71F when we go to bed and then to 74F when we are not home. If I average the hours and the temp I would get 72.125F. My first thought is to just use 72F as my base and go from there....but if the warmer part of the day has a greater effect on the dough is this directly compensated for by the cooler part of the night? I guess what I am getting at is would you use 72F or maybe bump up to 73F for some margin and then see what that looks like?

Interesting and something for me to think/play with in addition/aside from what I am already trying to prefect. (48hr in fridge)

So many choices and so many combinations  ??? ??? ???

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #168 on: August 13, 2014, 06:38:36 PM »
You can do multi-temp calcs with it. See this post for instructions. The same will work on the table in this thread. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=22649.msg230690#msg230690

The bottom line is that these tables are to help you find a starting point. There are too many variables for them to be absolutely precise in every instance.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline lanceberry

• Supporting Member
« Reply #169 on: August 13, 2014, 10:12:59 PM »
You can do multi-temp calcs with it. See this post for instructions. The same will work on the table in this thread. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=22649.msg230690#msg230690

The bottom line is that these tables are to help you find a starting point. There are too many variables for them to be absolutely precise in every instance.

Very interesting, thanks!

Offline lanceberry

• Supporting Member
« Reply #170 on: August 15, 2014, 08:03:25 AM »
I gave this a try to have some fun and see how it would turn out. I am very new to home pizza making and not sure how to interpret completely, but I think I need to use less yeast. I went with around 20 hrs at 72F. The pizza handled well, but the taste was somewhat lacking and the crust was tough and chewy. (could be the 13.6% flour used) I will try again and dial back the yeast some and use a bit lower protein flour mix.

Flour (100%):  ConAgra Supreme 13.6%
Water (63%):
IDY (.024%):
Salt (1.75%):
Sugar (1%):
Total: 750g
Single Ball: 250g

- Hand mixed and kneaded till smooth, let it rest for 5 min's twice and then back to hand kneading.
- Bulk room ferment for 11hr
- Scale and ball into 3 plastic containers
- First one into oven 20hr 
- Opened, dressed and backed in 1hr preheated oven with baking steel on 2nd from top rack. 1min bake / 1min broil / 3min bake
- Taste
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 08:05:24 AM by lanceberry »