Author Topic: Baker's yeast quantity prediction model - please compare to your results  (Read 29502 times)

Offline pfhlad0

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Baker's yeast quantity prediction model - please compare to your results
« Reply #220 on: March 20, 2015, 10:06:13 AM »
I'm using a 43-degree cold ferment (in the fridge).

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #221 on: March 20, 2015, 10:12:40 AM »
The cold ferment data you find reading people's posts is so all over the map, I almost cut the table off at about 55F. I decided to include it so people would have a place to start that is hopefully better than a pure guess. I've used it quite a bit lately in the 60's and 70's and it works very well.
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline pfhlad0

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #222 on: March 20, 2015, 10:18:32 AM »
Understood. If #188 is the latest version, I guess I'll start there. Thanks.

Offline pfhlad0

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #223 on: March 20, 2015, 10:43:44 AM »
One more question. I read the thread that discusses a multi-temp ferment, but I couldn't understand it fully. If I'm using .25% ADY and want a 3-hour 71-degree (room temp) ferment, how long should it ferment in my 43-degree refrigerator?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #224 on: March 20, 2015, 11:41:59 AM »
One more question. I read the thread that discusses a multi-temp ferment, but I couldn't understand it fully. If I'm using .25% ADY and want a 3-hour 71-degree (room temp) ferment, how long should it ferment in my 43-degree refrigerator?

That example takes you off the edge of the table, but you can still estimate it. Start at 0.25% ADY and 71F, you see it needs 5 hours. You then slide to the right until you find 2 hours (5 hours total minus 3 hours). In this case, it's off the right side of the chart, but you can tell it's pretty close to the edge - maybe two columns over. From there, you simply go up to 43F and see how many hours you need. Again, you will have to guess, but you can see it's dropping by about 5 hours in each column there on the right side, so maybe 20 hours or so.

Offline pfhlad0

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #225 on: March 20, 2015, 01:13:05 PM »
That's perfect! Thank you so much.

Offline pfhlad0

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #226 on: March 20, 2015, 01:21:42 PM »
I count the "1 hour bulk room-temp ferment after mixing but before putting into the refrigerator" as part of my 3-hour 71-degree ferment, right?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #227 on: March 20, 2015, 01:59:00 PM »
I count the "1 hour bulk room-temp ferment after mixing but before putting into the refrigerator" as part of my 3-hour 71-degree ferment, right?

I'm not sure I understand. If you are saying you do  a 1-hour bulk followed by 2-hours in balls then into the fridge, then yes, that's how I would account for it.

Offline pfhlad0

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #228 on: March 20, 2015, 02:12:23 PM »
Well, sort of. I do a 1-hour bulk, ball then put in the fridge for 20ish hours, then 2 hours at room temp before I bake.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #229 on: March 20, 2015, 02:21:49 PM »
That's totally different. I would look at that as pretty much all refrigerated or maybe 1 hour at room temp. I would consider the two hours at the end as part of the cold ferment because they are going to be pretty much cold for all of that time.

Offline pfhlad0

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #230 on: March 20, 2015, 02:31:00 PM »
So when people do a combination of cold and warm ferment, the warm comes after mixing but before putting into the refrigerator? You mix it, let it rise for a few hours, put it in the fridge to slow down the process for a day or so, then take it out and let it come to room temp just so it's easier to open, not because it needs an additional rise. Correct?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #231 on: March 20, 2015, 02:41:57 PM »
So when people do a combination of cold and warm ferment, the warm comes after mixing but before putting into the refrigerator? You mix it, let it rise for a few hours, put it in the fridge to slow down the process for a day or so, then take it out and let it come to room temp just so it's easier to open, not because it needs an additional rise. Correct?

Generally, yes, warm then cold. The only reason I can think of to do warm after cold is because you didn't get enough rise in the cold and needed to speed things up. And yes, it's easier to open warm, and it bakes up better too if you let the dough come up to room temp or at lease part of the way, IMO.

Offline pfhlad0

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #232 on: March 20, 2015, 02:44:26 PM »
OK, I think I'm good now. Thank you very much for your help.  :)

Offline stevehollx

« Reply #233 on: March 22, 2015, 04:06:51 PM »
Craig, I have a simple iphone app (for free on the app store) for pizza calculations, and it currently has your sourdough calculations built into it.  I'd like to build in the capability for baker's yeast, too.

If you don't mind, can you share the actual formula that you are using to build the values in the spreadsheet?  I tried to reverse engineer the formula from the values in the spreadsheet, but can't figure out what nonlinear model you are using.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #234 on: March 22, 2015, 04:57:59 PM »
Craig, I have a simple iphone app (for free on the app store) for pizza calculations, and it currently has your sourdough calculations built into it.  I'd like to build in the capability for baker's yeast, too.

If you don't mind, can you share the actual formula that you are using to build the values in the spreadsheet?  I tried to reverse engineer the formula from the values in the spreadsheet, but can't figure out what nonlinear model you are using.

It's not quite as straightforward as the SD calc. I also need to make a couple tweaks and post an updated table. Send me a PM with your email.

pizzapan