From time to time, members have requested dough recipes that can be practiced within a few hours. These recipes are sometimes referred to as “emergency”, “short-time” or “short-term” dough recipes. I will refer to such recipes collectively in this writing as “emergency” dough recipes. Typically, the emergency doughs are made and used in a period of up to about four hours and the doughs are usually fermented at room temperature. On occasion, a combination of room temperature fermentation and cold fermentation can be used. In most cases, emergency doughs use a lot more yeast than used to make normal doughs and a water temperature that is considerably higher than used to make normal doughs. However, there can be variations, as noted in many of the dough formulations referenced in this thread.
For the convenience and benefit of those members who are interested in emergency dough recipes, I have attempted to collect and categorize by style some of the more notable ones of such recipes that I have identified over time. I have not attempted to find and link every
emergency dough recipe ever posted on this forum although I am willing to revise this document as other worthy emergency dough recipes come, or are brought, to my attention. For those recipes that I could not specifically identify by style, I have simply labeled as “General”. In some cases, there are multiple versions of the recipes noted and they are often scattered throughout a thread and developed piecemeal over time. That means that people will have to read the threads to find the recipe or version that best meets their particular needs. I have not attempted to single out every version of a particular emergency dough recipe or to rewrite any such recipe or adapt it to a particular situation. My only goal was to create a compilation of some of the more notable emergency dough recipes. New York Style
1. Emergency Version of Lehmann NY Style: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.msg27251.html#msg27251
(Reply 407) and http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.msg27252.html#msg27252
2. Pizza Shark’s NY Style: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3736.msg31160.html#msg31160.
3. Steve’s Quick & Easy NY Pie: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2790.msg24104.html#msg24104/;
for a baker’s percent version, see http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2790.msg27551.html#msg27551
(Reply 35); see, also, http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13038.msg127422.html#msg127422.
4. Flagpull’s Super Super Emergency Recipe: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8049.msg69249.html#msg69249.
5. Addicted's "My NY": http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,685.msg6164.html#msg6164.
6. c0mpl3x NY Style: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8297.msg109552.html#msg109552
; see also the thread at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,24813.msg250630.html#msg250630
1. Papa John’s Clone: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6758.msg66312.html#msg66312
(Reply 52); see also http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6758.msg66655.html#msg66655
(Reply 57) and http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6758.msg80757.html#msg80757
2. Pizza Hut Clone Pan Pizza: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4607.msg38909.html#msg38909
(Reply 6). Note: This recipe is normally intended to be used after a long period of cold fermentation but was used by one member after only about four hours of cold fermentation, as described at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8084.msg69479.html#msg69479.
3. c0mpl3x Pan Style Pizza using a bread machine: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25612.msg258228.html#msg258228Chicago Deep-Dish
1. loowater's Malnati's Deep-Dish Clone Dough Using an All-Purpose/Semolina Flour Blend: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6480.msg71749.html#msg71749
1. Goosen1 Chicago-Style Thin Crust: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5002.0.html.
2. loowaters Generic Chicago Thin Crust: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6368.msg54574.html#msg54574.
3. loowaters Home Run Inn Clone: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6112.0.html.
4. itsinthesauce South Side Thin Crust: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4676.msg39865.html#msg39865.
5. Nate's (pythonic's) Chicago Thin: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,28884.msg290555.html#msg290555Neapolitan
1. Bread Machine Caputo Dough: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9876.0.html.
2. John Della Vecchia's Caputo/AP Neapolitan-Style for WFO: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12545.msg119839.html#msg119839.
; for a related post, see Reply 84 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=29303.msg328268#msg328268Sicilian
1. PizzaHog Detroit Style: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3783.msg68373.html#msg68373
(see recipe in Reply 63).
2. Norma's Buddy's Detroit Style Clones (several versions, including cold fermented versions as well): http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21559.msg217567.html#msg217567
3. Sicilian style by c0mpl3x (Jon): Reply 1225 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26286.msg334351#msg334351
, with baker's percent version at Reply 1256 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26286.msg334751#msg334751
1. Steve's Shakey's Style: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1311.msg11794.html#msg11794.
; see, also, Reply 896 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11391.msg289224.html#msg289224
2. bakeshack's (Marlon's) Starter Leavened Cracker Style:http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21326.msg214946.html#msg214946.General
1. Y-TOWN Pizza Class Recipe: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3146.msg26686.html#msg26686;
for the actual recipe, see http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3146.msg26822.html#msg26822
(Reply 15); for a baker’s percent version, see http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3146.msg27116.html#msg27116
(Reply 28); for an update (10/13), see http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,27914.msg282249.html#msg282249
. Note: These recipes most closely resemble thin versions of an American style pizza.
2. DenaliPete: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7405.msg63813.html#msg63813.
3. Lehmann Home-Style Recipe: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7892.msg67686.html#msg67686.
Note: This recipe most closely resembles a thin version of an American style pizza.
4. Mike's (Essen1's) American/NY Hybrid Style: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,24197.msg245588.html#msg245588
. For a sourdough version of Mike's emergency dough as created by member fazzari (John), see http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,24358.msg246970.html#msg246970
5. Jake's NY/American Style: See the series of posts starting at Reply 3256 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26286.msg380002#msg380002
6. Evelyne Slomon's Emergency Dough: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=37700.msg377237#msg377237
(note, in particular, the posts, including those by Hodgey1(Chris), starting at Reply 20 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=37700.msg382068#msg382068
7. pizzaisgood's Super Fast Dough recipe: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5131.msg44002/topicseen.html#msg44002
8. Last-Minute Pizza Dough recipe Using 00 Flour and Proofing Box: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2250.msg19793.html#msg19793
(Reply 12); see similar recipe at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,637.msg5857.html#msg5857
(Reply 2); there are other variations in the same thread.
9. King Arthur Italian-Style Flour: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1217.msg10917.html#msg10917.
10. "Pourable Pizza Dough": http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7924.0.html.
11. Rustic Ciabatta Dough Recipe: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8539.0/topicseen.html;
see, also, http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13597.msg135644.html#msg135644.
12. Combination of Caputo 00 Flour and Whole Wheat Flour, Using 2Stone Unit: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12157.msg114607.html#msg114607
(this recipe is a variation of the Caputo recipe at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9876.0.html.Specialty Grain
1. Whole Wheat/All-purpose flour blend: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8177.msg70422.html#msg70422.