Author Topic: Collection: "Emergency" Dough Recipes  (Read 43093 times)

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
Re: Collection: "Emergency" Dough Recipes
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2013, 08:53:59 PM »
...or beer.  ;D

not just any beer, though.  beer in em dough tends to offset any delay that yeast activation and rise has. 1% yeast, 65/35 (imho, 65% beer) with dough in emergency
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2013, 01:37:14 AM »
I was planning on pizza tonight and wanted to make one of the Lehman Emergency doughs that I've been using pretty regularly with success.  I was using the stand mixer and got distracted when my wife let the dogs out the front and it took me 15 mins to get back to the mixer that was running.   The dough was extremely smooth and pretty warm.  I split the batch in two, balled andoiled a bowled it.  An hour later it hadn't raised a bit. No bubbles. I tossed the dough.  Did I overheat it or is there something else about overmixing that would kill the yeast?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2013, 09:09:27 AM »
Chuck,

Technically, it is possible to destroy a dough but it usually takes a fair amount of effort to do so, and you perhaps will have to reach a dough temperature that kills the yeast, or at least kill enough of the yeast as to render the dough unusable. I have discussed this matter before at Reply 14 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1187.msg10649/topicseen.html#msg10649, Reply 4 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2964.msg25401/topicseen.html#msg25401, and Reply 26 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11731.msg108695/topicseen.html#msg108695.

Peter

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2013, 03:24:34 PM »
Peter
I have a bit of the envelope of IDY left.  What would be a good way to test it?

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2013, 03:32:56 PM »
Stand down Peter.  Going thru what I did last night... in my haste, I believe I put over 1 TABLESPOON of salt in the beer.  I recall tasting the beer after I dissolved the salt and sugar into it.  It was extremely salty.   ::)   I'm using the 407 reply Lehman dough doubled.

I did myself in... :'(
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 03:35:47 PM by bbqchuck »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2013, 04:10:26 PM »
Peter
I have a bit of the envelope of IDY left.  What would be a good way to test it?

Chuck,

I perhaps should have asked you what water temperature you used and how you activated the yeast, to see if possibly you killed the yeast.

If you are now asking for a test to see if your IDY was dead the last time you used it, then it will depend on how much yeast you have left. Usually you need a fair amount of yeast to test it for viability. If all you have is a small amount, proofing it a small amount of warm water with a bit of sugar and letting it sit for about 5-10 minutes may not show signs of life, like obvious bubbling or foaming. In this regard, see rainbowz's report at http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/10427/how-might-one-test-their-instant-yeast.

If you want to see how professionals recommend that one test the viability of yeast, see http://allrecipes.com/howto/proofing-yeast/. Just about all of the commercial yeast producers recommend the same method, or something very close to it.

I don't ever recall losing a dough because of dead yeast so I have never proofed my yeast. But maybe other members have had a different experiece and can help you with a solution that has worked for them.

Peter
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 06:22:27 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2013, 10:29:25 PM »
Well, I may be wrong yet again.  I made another batch of dough using tha same pack of yeast.  2 hrs and this is what it looks like.  No detectable activity top or bottom.

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2013, 11:48:04 PM »
I think I found the issue. The one strip of three envelopes was past its date.  I had bought 7-8 strips of 3 envelopes the other day.  Only one was past its date.  The one I used and had the problem with.  The rest are out into 2014.

I also made another batch of dough with a different strip of envelopes.   It's rising nicely.

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2013, 01:40:07 AM »
Finally,  good pizza.  ;D

Beer dough, 4 cheeses, chives, basil, 1/2 w/sauce.   The best flavored dough I've had.  The wife loved her white pie with mozz, provolone,  English cheddar, smoked gouda.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2013, 08:37:15 AM »
Chuck,

I somehow missed your post in Reply 24 but something is still odd about the yeast you used. When you used a bit over a tablespoon of yeast with the Lehmann emergency dough recipe at Reply 407 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.msg27251.html#msg27251, you effectively increased the salt amount to over 8%. That would have pretty much stopped the yeast dead in its tracks, although had you given the dough a few days it might have shown some signs of life, even if the dough was inedible. Hardly an "emergency" dough.

As for the rest of the out-of-date IDY, I suppose that if the IDY packet had been opened some time ago and the packet was not refrigerated or put in the freezer, then maybe it lost some of its viability. But, even then, it might have worked if the dough was given a lot more fermentation time. Again, not exactly an "emergency" dough.

Since you have been making a lot of pizzas, you might want to invest in a one- or two-pound bag of IDY. All of the big box stores sell the bags of yeast, not only IDY but also ADY. That will be far cheaper than buying the strips of packets. My practice is to put the bag of yeast (I use SAF IDY) in a tightly sealed container and store it in my freezer. It can last a long time using this storage method. Some members store yeast to be used in the short term in the refrigerator compartments of their refrigerators. That might reduce the performance of the yeast a bit, because yeast does lose its leavening power with temperature, but that can be overcome by using a bit more yeast than called for by the recipe. Many people perhaps already do that automatically without even knowing it if they measure out the yeast using rounded spoon measurements (or even heaping measurements) rather than level measurements.

Peter

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2013, 11:28:17 AM »
Peter,
That packet is just  a couple months past its date.  I'm the king of using out of date stuff, from glues, to pharmaceuticals.  But I did that second batch watching my P's and Q's on every quantity of the ingredients and it still didn't do a thing.   I'll toss the remaining two packets that are out of date.  The one I used from later marked packs seems to have the expected activity.   I'll be more careful when buying yeast from now on.

I'm not sure which way I want to go on buying bulk yeast or staying with buying small amounts.  I do have a set of the two Italian sour dough starters from Sourdough.com, which I haven't cultured yet. 

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2013, 03:48:03 PM »
I made this one (Steve's) again today, great pizza in under 30 minutes:

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2013, 04:08:50 PM »
Tom,

I assume this is Steve's recipe that you used:

Reply 3 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1311.msg17388.html#msg17388

Peter

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2013, 04:12:34 PM »
Yes.

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2013, 09:29:32 AM »
working on a two day starter, 4-6 hour preferment dough here in about 40 minutes. i started some starter the other day with lemon and grape off of locally grown produce.  pH of my water here is around 8.2-8.5, the smidge of lemon seems to give it a more stable 'life' in its first week.  i've had plenty go sour beyond washing back into useable. stove is warm from pancakes this morning, so it's been rising and being fed.   basically trying to just double the starter until i have enough liquid, add flour to bring it down to 60%, and throw in the salt/egg/melted butter/sugar to make sweet buns/bread for later.   will post results.   but for the time being, here is a 4 hour emergency pie.

100% sams HG
65% water
.7% IDY
1.6% salt
.3% sugar
1% olive oil

typical 550 bake, stretched on cornmeal/KAWWW flour in a 90/10 blend, baked on a screen.  sorry, no upskirts.

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2013, 11:27:16 PM »
as mentioned: 100% quick preferment.

chewy/crunchy crust, moist soft crumb. 

1300 sams HG
500 water, 100 milk, 58 egg
300 quick starter, at 100% hydration
60 salted butter, melted
20 salt
10 sugar

came out to 5.7lbs of dough.  made two 22oz loaves, and 11 buns.   yes, my mighty little oster bread machine mixed the dough.  took 22 minutes with that tiny paddle.  my element doesn't work in it, but it makes a mighty little mixer.  bulked it for 30mins, did 3 stretch and folds, bulked it about 75 minutes. divided it down to the loaves, made buns with the remaining.   let them rise on the counter about 2 hours, and threw them in the oven.  did the buns at 375 as the oven already had green bean casserole and sweet potato soufflet in it.  bread was done at 525.  all dough was brushed with a beaten egg before placing into the oven.    didn't even need butter for this stuff  :drool: :drool:

Offline n00bie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2014, 09:53:53 PM »
I have a very easy and great recipe, within an half hour it doubles its size during the fermentation process. I will post it tomorrow when I'm baking a pie including pics.

pizzapan