Author Topic: April 2009 Monthly Challenge: "If it's Worth Doing, it's Worth Overdoing"  (Read 6784 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
February was "Less is More" month, so how about "More is More" - nothing says excess like excess!! So what is the best pie you can make in the spirit of this theme?

Offline rsimon719

What the heck.. I am new to this forum and have one to show that may be considered a bit excessive. This pizza has a very good flavor and lots of ingredients on top.  :chef:

7 Cheeses.. Provolone, Asiago, Parmesan, Fontina, Guerre, Smoked Mozzarella, Fresh Mozzarella.

Sauce was a sun-dried tomato pesto with pepperoni, basalmic carmalized red onions, red bell peppers, portabello mushrooms, finsihed with fresh basil.

Its our favorite pizza  :P
- Rich

Offline Jackitup

At Peter’s request here’s my entry into the April pie thingy

Smoked Buffalo Chicken Ranch Pie
Tonites pie made with inspiration from BTB's thin crust, "awesome".

Flour Blend 100% (80% hi gluten, 10% semolina, 10% rice flour)
H2o 47%
IDY .8%
Salt 1.5%
Sugar 1.5%
Cold Butter 18% (I ran out of olive oil so I used all butter)

The butter was ice cold and cut into the flour, salt and sugar mix in a food processor like one would with a pie dough. Then briefly mixed with water and yeast till it just came together. Proofed for 24 hours.
Then as shown in the pics I rolled between a layer of oiled plastic wrap and oiled foil, then into the oven for a par bake. I must say that the aroma from the par bake was incredible, very heady. Just that little bit of semolina and rice flour made a big difference on the aroma and taste. I can only guess that the rice flour added something different to the fermentation....a good thing. The texture after topping and baking was akin to that of a 'very' crispy biscuit or cookie, quite enjoyable. The pie was topped with homemade ranch dressing with Gorgonzola cheese crumbled into it, then onions,  portabella mushrooms caramelized with cream sherry, thin slices of apples and leftover smoked beer can chicken from the smoker the day before. The chicken pieces were tossed with Frank's Hot Sauce that was sweetened with a bit of honey to give that "sweet heat" thingy. Then a sprinkling of parm, mozz and cheddar and some pre-fried maple bacon on top with a sprinkle of pizza seasoning . The overall taste of the pie was great, flavor of the crust came thru wonderfully and everything else was a great blend of flavors with nothing taking over, served extra hot sauce on the side. This will certainly go in the keeper file for several repeats. Here's some pics.
Jon

http://w186.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w186.photobucket.com/albums/x41/Jackitup1/03242302.pbw

1. Homemade Ranch dressing
2. Gorgonzola cheese
3. Onions
4. Portabella mushrooms
5. Cream sherry
6. Apple slices
7. Smoked beer can chicken
8. Beer used to make item 7
9. Frank's Hot Sauce
10. Honey
11. Parmesan
12. Mozzarella
13. Cheddar
14. Pre-fried maple bacon
15. Pizza seasoning
16. wine
17. chicken broth
18. spices   (16,17,18 were a marinade injected into the chicken before going on the smoker)
19 hickory chips for smoking if we're keeping count  ;D
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
The photos below represent my submission to this month's challenge.

The dough for the pizza was based on a dough formulation posted by member pizzaisgood at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6054.msg51924.html#msg51924. Since I did not have any raw white honey as called for by the recipe, I used a pure and unfiltered Texas wildflower honey, which happens to be quite dark. The dough was prepared following pizzaisgood's instructions to the letter, and used after 46 hours of cold fermentation plus about two hours of warm-up at room temperature. Using the poppy seed trick, I estimate that the dough rose by about 380% at the time I took it out of the refrigerator.

The toppings for the pizza were hot Italian sausage (from a link), pepperoni slices, diced yellow pepper, diced orange pepper, sliced Texas sweet onion, sliced garlic, imported golden peperoncini, and a five-cheese blend comprising low-moisture, part-skim mozzarella cheese, sharp NY cheddar cheese, imported provolone cheese, imported Pecorino Romano cheese and imported Parmigiano-Reggiano Parmesan cheese. All of the cheeses were placed into my food processor and pulsed to a diced texture.

I realize that my submission won't top my good friend's Jackitup's pizza but I thought that I might at least get a few extra points for using the Texas honey and sweet onion, the yellow and orange peppers (which are expensive and hard to come by in my area), and the five-cheese blend :).

Peter
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 06:02:09 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
And a couple of slice pics....

Peter

Offline Chocolatesa

Lol, I can't wait to try this one out... I'll have to pick which of my ideas I like best.... I won't have time to do it for another week or two though.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
My entry is inspired by the O'Vesuvio, but it turned out nothing like it since my crust is very puffy. It was still very good, but pretty reminiscent of a calzone or stromboli. Toppings:

- Portobello, porcini, and button mushroom purée
- Roasted asparagus (precooked in the WFO)
- Smoked chicken-apple sausage (homemade)
- Fontina cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Olive oil
- Salt

What strikes me the most about the photos below, is that they demonstrate the balance of heat in the oven. The upper crust and the bottom crust are cooked almost exactly the same amount. Cool!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Bill,
Very nice vesuvious out come. Looks great to me.
as I mention I am wanting to try this on the next firing
any other thougths suggestions keep in mind we have the same oven  ;D
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
any other thougths suggestions keep in mind we have the same oven  ;D
Not really. It was an interesting experiment and a chance to submit an entry, but it really was too much crust.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
By the way, here is a little video I did of the double-crusted pie:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3B5kEHr9Sk" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3B5kEHr9Sk</a>

Bill/SFNM

Offline HHI-Enterprises

• My Oven
This was one of my most popular pizzas - cooked in an Earthstone 160-PAGW gas/wood combo stone hearth oven at 650 (~550-600 on the hearth surface). This is the thickest pie I've ever heard of being cooked in a traditional oven - and it took a lot of tweaking to get it to cook right. Also took a lot of constant training of the staff to keep the quality there.

Basic Supreme Pizza with Fontanini sausage (Bulk Mild Garlic).

Offline pixiedust

I made a Stromboli (my first) and an Italian sausage pizza with half black olives.

The crusts for both are sourdough.

The pizza has marina sauce, mozzarella cheese, Italian hot and mild sausage, ground beef, half with black olives, and mozzarella cheese.

The Stromboli ideas I got from this site. It has marinara sauce, Provolone cheese, capaloni (I think that is what it was), Genoa salami, Boars Head pepperoni, mozzarella cheese. I have never made a jelly roll before so I rolled from short end to short end.
A kiss is a pleasant reminder that two heads are better than one.

Offline pauliegee

I hope it's OK to post this even though it's no longer April.  Fior di Latte, mascarpone, sliced fresh figs, Proscuitto di Parma, chopped baby arugula and shaved Parmagiano Reggiano.

Ciao,

Paulie Gee

Offline kmancpbh

Pauli! Welcome to the forum sir.  :D

Umnnn.....mascarpone and sweetness of figs would be tempered nicely by the saltiness of the prozhoot and saltiness and nuttiness of the Parmagiano Reggiano.

Everyone's pizzas in this thread look delicious! Thanks for sharing. ;D

I just ordered some cultures from Sourdoughs International and am looking forward to fooling around with using a starter to get some tang.

pizzapan