Author Topic: Boars Head Mozzarella  (Read 7659 times)

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Boars Head Mozzarella
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2009, 10:19:37 AM »
I would like to hear what the going price is for BH. Last time I paid in the $7 range in CT. I'm going to price it at various stores in my area just to see how it differs.

Offline BurntEdges

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2009, 01:11:16 PM »
I've tried the Boars Head, and it is indeed a great cheese.  The problem, at least for me, is that I can only find it for $7 to $8 a pound!  Nutritional info is very similar for Whole Milk Grande vs. BH, but BH has a slightly higher fat content, which may explain why so many people enjoy its creaminess. 

Apizza,

If you discover a deal on the BH Mozz, please post your findings.  Thanks.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2009, 02:00:19 PM »
Burnt edges,  approach your nearest boars head based deli and ask them to order you a loaf.  5 lbs isnt more than 15 dollars,  and hopefully they will realize that the favor they are doing for you and that it will pay off for them in the long run.  -marc

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2009, 09:58:26 PM »
Thats what I did it was christmas day and these guys are open 365 days a year. They have the loafs in the deli I said Cut me about a 6" chunk off that bad boy. He did not even know what to charge me I have been getting it there when needed for $4.99 ?lb ever since! and many times he opens a fresh loaf for me too.
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline pjbear05

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2009, 03:43:18 PM »
Compared Boars Head to Grande yesterday. Both melted well on pizza (700 degrees, 2 minute bake time), but I liked the taste of Boars Head a little more. I also liked it more before they were even melted. I never thought I'd find a cheese I liked better than Grande but the BH is really good.

By the way, does anyone else hate the way Polly O melts? It seems to always melt in a soupy mess- doesn't seem to stand up to heat very well.
Yeah Sacs, I hear ya. I've tried grated Polly-O Whole Milk  at way lower temps (450) and had the same thing happen, so I don't use it anymore.

Most of the restaurants back in Detroit making Detroit style Pizza once claimed Mozzerella in general doesn't stand up to high heat, so they use Wisconsin Brick cheese.  When I was able to find and use it I found it rubbery and bland.  So, since I don't have a proper supplier down this way, I'm sticking with the BH Mozz sliced.  If it ain't broke...
"Aw, Paulie?  You won't see him no more!"

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2009, 11:22:24 AM »
I am able to get Boar's head here in Alaska every now and then.  Don't remember what I paid, but do remember that it was pricey, I bought it based on the recommendation here.

I was pretty impressed with it, it held up quite well in my LBE.  I would say it is among the finer cheese I've had in terms of overall quality.

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2009, 11:03:04 AM »
You can have confidence in Boar’s Head.  When I was selling/installing industrial flooring, I worked on Boar's Head (in Bergen County, NJ) hard for over a year before I was allowed behind the scenes in their facility. 

What did I see?  Great processes, very clean and overall, an excellent facility.  Some other food companies, that had good Health Department ratings, were downright scary to walk through.

Jack

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2009, 02:55:38 AM »
Just double checked the price here for Boar's Head mozz.  Its running $8.49lb, ouch.

Offline soflnoles

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2009, 01:59:28 PM »
$8.49 here in Maryland as well.

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2009, 07:37:24 PM »
$7.49 at large supermarket in central CT.

Offline sabinoapizza

« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2009, 08:59:58 PM »
Boars Head Mozz $5.49 lb Tucson Arizona
Good prices can be found.
Sabino

Offline wcotterall

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2009, 06:15:02 PM »
I am new to maiking the pies and have been using the prepackaged mozzarella (very wet mozzarella) in the market (Publix).  It did not have that pizza cheese texture so I picked up the Boars Head Low Moisture Mozzarella and WOW what a difference.  Very good taste from this amature pie guy and it had that great stringy elasticity and was milky white.  Held up great to the heat, baked at 550 degrees.  i look forward to finding some of the grande cheese and trying it.

Offline randyjohnsonhve

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2010, 09:22:56 PM »
Costco sells Bel Giose Fresh Mozzarella for about $3.50/lb. It holds up well on the pizza.  RJ
"Pizza Evolves...Our Best Pizza Ever is Not Today." It is 'what' is right, not 'who' is right that matters.

pizzapan