Author Topic: Long term storage of sourdough starter  (Read 1798 times)

Offline trosenberg

• Burning Desire for Pizza
Long term storage of sourdough starter
« on: April 01, 2009, 08:33:41 PM »
Can someone tell me the best method for storing sourdough starters long term?  When I first got them from Ed at Sourdo they were dried out. Can they be dried again & if so what is the method? Can they be frozen?  I just don't need all these different starters in mason jars cluttering up the fridge.
Trosenberg

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
Re: Long term storage of sourdough starter
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 08:55:08 PM »
trosenberg,

I have been playing with my starter for quite a while and one of the tests I did was to dry it and re-activate it.  The easiest way that I found is to feed it so it's very active, then i smeared a light coating all over the inside of a cottage cheese container.  I left it at room temp near the stove and let it dry.  It dried fairly quickly (less than 24 hours) and then, when I squeezed the container, the dried starter came off easily so that I could break it up and stick it in a plastic bag.  I refrigerated some of it, and just put some into the pantry.  Both re-activated nicely after 6 months storage, but the fridge is probably the safer way to go.  I haven't played with putting it in the freezer, so can't answer that question.

Hope that helps...
~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline trosenberg

• Burning Desire for Pizza
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 06:41:04 AM »
Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Trosenberg

Offline allanfieldhouse

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 09:57:48 AM »
I froze some starter spread out thinly in a ziploc bag, and it reactivated fine.

pizzapan