Author Topic: high oven temp question  (Read 2064 times)

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
high oven temp question
« on: February 02, 2005, 01:33:29 PM »
OK all you pizza fans out there, I have a question that suddenly occurred to me.  I currently use four 8" square quarry tiles as a pizza stone on the lowest rack of my oven.  I'm just wondering now as I look at the bottom electrical element of the oven: can I put the tiles directly ON the element?  Wouldn't that make them hotter?  It looks like they'll sit on the element without falling off....I'm just wondering what damage I'd be risking by doing it! :)

I'm hoping to start the oven within the next half hour, so quick answers would be deeply appreciated ;)

Thanks!
Dave

Offline LeeB

• I Love Pizza!
Re: high oven temp question
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 01:46:43 PM »
I don't really know if that is something you should try to do.  The elements are very hot as you well know, and heat makes things extrememly brittle.  So 500-550 degrees in there isn't producing the results that you want?????

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 02:07:43 PM »
hehe...obviously you haven't read some of the recent posts about jacking the oven temps up to over 700/800 with the self-cleaning cycle! ;)

550 works okay I guess.....I'm just thinking that if putting the stones directly on the element can gain me another 100 degrees or so, it'd be great to have.

Dave

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 02:43:42 PM »
The supports are minimal on the norm so I would say no.  Not to mention reducing the element life if not ending it with the weight.
 :(
Randy

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 03:24:46 PM »
Yeah, I just had another look, and I see your point.  Darn :(  Oh well...

Offline bortz

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 07:49:11 PM »
Now this is interesting. I thought about this myself but the heating coil (element) just has one support at the end of the coil near the backmost portion of the oven. (In my electric anyway).  It might be okay to try once but I'm sure repeated uses directly on it would deform the element beyond it's elastic limit or shear it right off.  Not worth it for a pizza experiment using the risk to reward factor ratio divided by the spousal approval factor = sleeping on couch and a hefty repair bill.  ;D

I've tried various spots in the oven to cook the pizza based on my hand held temperature unit and the warmest spot in my electric oven is near the top. So even though it goes against the grain of those on this forum, I always put my rack as close to the top as possible. It's resulted in a top that's cooked to the same doneness as the bottom. When I used to cook it on the bottom rack, then turn on the broiler for a few mins. it would cook  the cheese a little too much to the point where it would get slightly brown.  I think browned mozz doesn't taste as good when it starts to turn like that.  Besides that, it's alot easier to get the times down with experience and just let the oven cook it the same length of time on the top rack, rather than watch the oven like a hawk to make sure the top doesn't get too brown on the broiler setting, which has a lot of variability.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005, 09:48:11 PM »
Bortz you are partly right on this one, what we get from the lowest rack is the radient heat from the bottom element when it come on.  That is why you want to put your pizza in just as the light comes back on.
Your
Randy

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2005, 09:42:47 AM »
Absolutely not, you don't want to superheat the stone!

The stone should have a temperature of about 700 degrees F. The air above the stone should be 800-900 degrees F. This is, of course, the ideal environment to cook a NY style pizza. If your stone gets above 700, which it would if placed directly on the heating element, you'd burn the bottom of your pizza to a crisp! And I mean a black crisp!!
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.