Author Topic: Going to Brooklyn, so many pizzas, so little time  (Read 3282 times)

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
Going to Brooklyn, so many pizzas, so little time
« on: April 04, 2009, 12:46:30 PM »
If all goes according to plan, I will be spending 3-4 days in Brooklyn end of the week.  First time in NY and first time eating the real deal NY pizza.  But holy cow, there are so many famous pizzas around there I have to narrow the list way down.
So looking for the "must" try list suggestions.
Thanks!

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
Re: Going to Brooklyn, so many pizzas, so little time
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 02:02:41 PM »
Well, obviously Di Fara would be at the top of the list. Totonno's would be too but they had a fire. Grimaldi's used to be really good but I've heard mixed things lately.

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 12:44:12 PM »
Thanks T, I figured Di Fara's would be on top of a list.  I have read many of your posts and visited your website and take your recommendation as a high compliment for any pizza.  BTW, your pies are outstanding and continued success with Ah Beetz.
Hog

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 01:51:40 PM »
Thanks T, I figured Di Fara's would be on top of a list.  I have read many of your posts and visited your website and take your recommendation as a high compliment for any pizza.  BTW, your pies are outstanding and continued success with Ah Beetz.
Hog
Thanks! If you want a real Brooklyn experience, try Sam's Steaks and Chops on Court St. I lived a block away from that place and it's a real trip. Checkered tale cloths, sexest waiters and they have a coal oven.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 01:53:34 PM by tdeane »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 03:36:34 PM »
I have many pizza loving foodie friends in NY and Brooklyn.  All I keep hearing from every one of them is that a new guy on the block totally destroys everything.   They say it has upped the pizza to a whole new level.  It is called Motorino.

http://www.motorinopizza.com/
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 12:36:10 PM by scott r »

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 03:49:52 PM »
Lucali's
575 Henry St
Brooklyn, NY 11231

(718) 858-4086‎

For a NY style,this place has been getting talked up a lot by many people.

good luck,
David
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 04:08:56 PM »
Lucali's
575 Henry St
Brooklyn, NY 11231

(718) 858-4086‎

For a NY style,this place has been getting talked up a lot by many people.

good luck,
David
Yeah I forgot about Lucali. That is supposed to be good too but maybe a little over hyped.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 06:31:30 PM »
I agree on the over hyped

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 06:33:07 PM »
You might want to try Franny's.    I think it is one of the better pizzerias in the NY area, and it is in Brooklyn.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 12:35:23 PM by scott r »

Offline mmarston

• I can stop eating Pizza any time I want!
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 06:44:57 PM »
When I lived in Brooklyn I used to eat at Sam's regularly. It's a real old school family style Italian restaurant that happens to make a great pizza as well.

Michael
Nobody cares if you can't dance well.  Just get up and dance.  Dave Barry

Offline mmarston

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 07:03:05 PM »
Try this one too.

South Brooklyn Pizza

451 Court Street (Fourth Place), Carroll Gardens; (718) 852-6018.

Link to article

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/18/dining/18briefs.html?_r=1&ref=dining&oref=slogin

Dessert!
http://www.thechocolateroombrooklyn.com/1home/cafe.php
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 07:19:02 PM by mmarston »

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 02:30:20 AM »
Try this one too.

South Brooklyn Pizza

451 Court Street (Fourth Place), Carroll Gardens; (718) 852-6018.

Link to article

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/18/dining/18briefs.html?_r=1&ref=dining&oref=slogin

Dessert!
http://www.thechocolateroombrooklyn.com/1home/cafe.php

This place is not that great.

Offline mmarston

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 06:18:50 AM »
Re: South Brooklyn Pizza

That's too bad. I never ate there but the review sounded promising. I have eaten at the Chocolate Room and it's well worth the trip.
I can't tell you how much that area changed since I lived there. Smith street was pretty scary and now it's restaurant central. And Sam's has sexy waiters? OMG!

By the way PizzaHog if you want something other than pizza there are many great restaurants on Smith street and in nearby neighborhoods. I used to love this upscale Mexican place: http://www.almarestaurant.com/

Michael
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 06:23:59 AM by mmarston »

Offline mmarston

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 06:46:47 AM »
If you can fit it into your schedule go to the Brooklyn Botanical Garden. It's Cherry Blossom time and the place is stunning.

Michael

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 11:47:11 AM »
Thanks, everyone, for the great suggestions.  Can't eat pizza every meal every day (well, maybe), so I appreciate the non pie ideas too.  Too bad I will only be there 3 days...
So far, I have told by my hosts that the Ellis Island museum, Di Faras, Grimaldis and Anthony's (their favorite walking distance pizza/Italian) are set in stone.  We just discovered by chance some new info on our ancestors including names of the original immigrants on both sides and cities in Italy they immigrated from so we will be doing some research.  My brother visited Italy some years ago and tried in vain to locate our families there, so I am looking forward to this.
Otherwise, I plan to consume mass quantities in general and take in as much as I can.  Can't wait & will report.
Thanks
Hog

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 06:52:57 PM »
Well, the Brooklyn part of my NY trip is over, and I managed 4 pizza's in 3 days.  Di Fara's was a trip.  It is much, much smaller than it looks on the you tube videos and looks to not have changed in years.  Rusty old cooler, a few cheap beat up Formica tables, a stained case of tomatoes at Dom's feet, his shoes covered with flour dust, an ancient broken cash register next to the one that works, this place felt like the original NY pizza joint and should be in a movie set.  I watched him check and pull pie after pie out of the oven with his bare hands, and grate the cheese for and make each pie one by one.  I can't say what was better; the pizza or the experience.
Motorino was excellent, but in a diff way.  We sat as near the oven as possible as I watched the pizzaiolo's with great interest and the owner moved about checking on everything.  As luck would have it, the main man Mathieu rejected one of our pizza's, had words in Italian (as near as I could tell) with the pizzaiolo who then disappeared into the back never to return.  Mathieu then remade the pie and brought it to our table personally and apologized for the delay which was no big deal as these are like 2 minutes pies.  We had a brief conversation that Mathieu ended, reminding us the pies needed to be eaten while hot, but promised to return, which he did after we had devoured them.  We were introduced to Anthony (sort of a host or manager) who took us behind the counter to the oven, told us all about the process and oven and answered all our questions.  Mathieu returned and we chatted for quite a while and again openly answered every question I posed.  Motorino, he told me, is what the residents of Italy call the popular motor scooters that apparently are all over, and he chose the name cause they are cheap and fast.  We talked about Michigan as that is where his wife is from and where he first ate a rueben sandwich which he now loves, ingredients, temps, his oven, what makes a great pizza, and on and on.  A total class act and the best pizza I have ever had.  Motorino is simply a must visit and I only wish I had not waited until my last day so I could have went back again.
Grimaldi's was closed on Sun so I didn't get to try it and none of the others are worth mentioning after Di Fara's and Motorino.
Thanks again for the tips and now I can't wait to get back for more.

Offline mmarston

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 07:40:36 PM »
Glad you enjoyed the trip. What did you do besides pizza?
I can't wait to try Motorino. Tell us about the bad pizzas so we can avoid them.

Michael

Offline kmancpbh

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 10:19:09 PM »
Thanks for the update on your trip! I'm going to Motorino next time I am in Brooklyn, which will be soon....you second my friend's advice who lives near there that these are some of the best pizzas in New York.  :)

What were the other 2 pizzerias you went to? Thanks again for the report! :chef:

From my experience, I would also voice what others have said here as "must visits" in Brooklyn (in approximate order of preference):

DiFara
Tottono's- IMO, the best of the "Big 5" NY Style Coal Oven Pizzerias (Lombardi's, Tottono's, John's Bleeker, Patsy's & Grimaldi's)
Lucali's
Frannies
Grimaldi's

Also worth visiting:
Toby's Public House- the DOC Margherita is good
South Brooklyn Pizza
Fornino

There is also another place that just opened up in Red Hook, Brooklyn with a coal fired brick oven that I plan on visiting soon. But, gonna make another 360 mile round trip on the 25th to get some more Una Pizza Napoletana before going back up for a Brooklyn run.

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2009, 09:45:52 PM »
Sorry for the late reply...
One other was corner slice place called Smiley's, nothing special.  Anthony's was the other, and to be fair it was delivered and already room temp when I got there.  Sogged out but still pretty good, Neapolitan but no Motorino, which my host's now prefer to Franny's.
kmancpbh, great list and this place sounds sweet too http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=045998f6312ac923a3dcbfb21064fba3&topic=8285.0