Author Topic: First attempt at using the Big Green Egg for Pizza  (Read 6574 times)

Offline rsimon719

First attempt at using the Big Green Egg for Pizza
« on: April 07, 2009, 09:02:17 PM »
Well, we had a great pizza night making pizza on the Big Green Egg for the first time. It will take a little practice, but the results for the first use I am pretty happy with. Need to experiement with spacers under the pizza stone and see if I can get the top a little hotter so the bottom doesn't out run the top.

- Rich

Offline greggw2gs

Re: First attempt at using the Big Green Egg for Pizza
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 06:09:21 AM »
I have been using my Green Egg for about a year now and the spacer idea works better as you suspect.  I still feel however that the top heat laggs the bottom heat and would love to hear if anyone has a solution to this.  Thanks Gregg

Offline s00da

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 06:45:02 AM »
I don't have a Green Egg but I use a custom-made iron oven to make my Neapolitan pizzas but here is my take...

It seems that the Egg blows flame right to the bottom of the stone which means the your heat source is coming from the bottom. This makes the top of the pizza to cook from the heat accumulated within a short time in the dome-shaped top of the Egg just when you close it. This means that the heat from the top will always be lower than the bottom heat.

A possible solution to this problem is to cut an opening in the Egg to allow sliding in the pizza without opening the Egg. I believe I've seen an image of such modification on the forum. This will allow more heat to accumulate in the top. Another modification could be having the flame directed to to the side of the stone to force heating the top a little faster than the stone itself.

Hope that helped.

Offline rsimon719

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 07:03:54 AM »
Thanks for the tips!

There is a plate setter that is between the fire and the pizza stone. Here's my thought though.. I am going to space the pizza stone up higher into the dome and then double up on the pizza stones. This will not only move the pizza closer to the dome, but it will keep the stones from getting as hot maybe. I think the key here really is to get the pizza closer to the top dome.
- Rich

Offline Matthew

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 07:30:43 AM »
Thanks for the tips!

There is a plate setter that is between the fire and the pizza stone. Here's my thought though.. I am going to space the pizza stone up higher into the dome and then double up on the pizza stones. This will not only move the pizza closer to the dome, but it will keep the stones from getting as hot maybe. I think the key here really is to get the pizza closer to the top dome.

You can also try the stone over top of firebricks.

Matt

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 10:53:34 AM »
Looking like a great work in progress, keep at it!

Just a tip tho, even with a top stone, saute and drain the 'shrooms first. They'll just never cook right from raw in 4 minutes, even if they did they secrete way too much juice that you don't really want on the pie.
(Unless ya like that raw crunchy thing, to each his own I imagine) 

:D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 10:56:45 AM by NY pizzastriver »
"If God said you can come to heaven now, but you have to stop eating my pizza, you'd stay and finish instead, right?" - Essen1

Offline rsimon719

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 12:29:11 PM »
Looking like a great work in progress, keep at it!

Just a tip tho, even with a top stone, saute and drain the 'shrooms first. They'll just never cook right from raw in 4 minutes, even if they did they secrete way too much juice that you don't really want on the pie.
(Unless ya like that raw crunchy thing, to each his own I imagine) 

:D

Thanks! Yea, we go back and fourth.. Depends on the mood I'm in if saute them.. Many times, I'll saute the onions and carmalize them with some basalmic and do the red peppers and mushrroms near the end. That's good, but I was going for actually more fresh flavor this night. I cut things VERY thin and they all were soft by the time the cooking was done.

Thanks for all the tips though. I welcome them all!
- Rich

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 12:48:44 PM »
No problem. You told me my dough still looked good, so the least I could do was tell you to cook a mushroom! lol. I caramelized carrots last night, on an "funny you mention that" kinda note.

Anyone ever try this with a coal Weber grill? Here's a link that says it works, but it also says heat stone for 5 minutes, so...  ???
http://www.answerbag.com/articles/How-to-Make-a-Pizza-on-the-BBQ-Grill/11ec1aae-4619-a517-8a4f-99d4873cf387

I'm wondering if a huge pile of hot coals would even get a stone hotter than 550?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 12:56:39 PM by NY pizzastriver »
"If God said you can come to heaven now, but you have to stop eating my pizza, you'd stay and finish instead, right?" - Essen1

Offline rsimon719

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 01:28:21 PM »
No problem. You told me my dough still looked good, so the least I could do was tell you to cook a mushroom! lol. I caramelized carrots last night, on an "funny you mention that" kinda note.

Anyone ever try this with a coal Weber grill? Here's a link that says it works, but it also says heat stone for 5 minutes, so...  ???
http://www.answerbag.com/articles/How-to-Make-a-Pizza-on-the-BBQ-Grill/11ec1aae-4619-a517-8a4f-99d4873cf387

I'm wondering if a huge pile of hot coals would even get a stone hotter than 550?

My guess is it will coook, but it won't be the same as what we are attempting to do with high heat. Preheating for only 5 minutes isn't enough to get the stone where it needs to be. I think most everyone here preheats the stone for an hour in the oven to make sure it is good and hot, how can 5 minutes be enough?  ???

Of course the "Black Egg" described on these forums is pretty cool idea.  :chef:
- Rich

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 07:04:19 PM »
My guess is it will coook, but it won't be the same as what we are attempting to do with high heat. Preheating for only 5 minutes isn't enough to get the stone where it needs to be. I think most everyone here preheats the stone for an hour in the oven to make sure it is good and hot, how can 5 minutes be enough?  ???

Of course the "Black Egg" described on these forums is pretty cool idea.  :chef:

I would try to preheat it for 40 minutes at least. I'd guess the trouble is even if coals get to 1000 degrees, as I once heard, 40 minutes later they are 1/2 burnt out and not maintaining anywhere near that temp. I agree it would do something, probably no real improvement to the oven though.  :( Then there's the whole "way too much smoke" issue.

Anyway, when ya making the next one?! Your crust looks beautiful and airy!
Take some crumb and char pics on next one.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 07:08:46 PM by NY pizzastriver »

Offline rsimon719

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 10:37:45 PM »
I would try to preheat it for 40 minutes at least. I'd guess the trouble is even if coals get to 1000 degrees, as I once heard, 40 minutes later they are 1/2 burnt out and not maintaining anywhere near that temp. I agree it would do something, probably no real improvement to the oven though.  :( Then there's the whole "way too much smoke" issue.

Anyway, when ya making the next one?! Your crust looks beautiful and airy!
Take some crumb and char pics on next one.

Thanks for the complements on the crust. It turned out very good and I have been getting better with my recipe. I will take more pics next time.. I will probably do one early this coming week since it is going to be raining here Sunday when I wanted to do one. :(
- Rich

Offline greggw2gs

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 04:55:18 AM »
More detail on what I am doing.  I have a Large version of the green Egg.  After firing it up I place my plate setter in there with the feet down, the highest position, then I use the three green feet as my pizza stone feet which elevates the stone a bit higher.  I pre-heat to 550 for a good 45-60 minutes and then cook my pizzas.  I have achieved a decent balance of heat but still want to get the stone closer to the dome.  Can't get too much higher or my 16" pies wont fit when you close th dome.  I will have to measure a few things as I am thinking we might be able to elevate our stones on top of 2 or 3 bricks laid on top of the plate setter.  This might work not sure.  Any ideas out there on this idea?  Thanks Gregg

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 07:46:38 AM »
Greg,
     My thoughts, without ever using propane, would be why bother doing all this to only cook at 550? You can do that in the oven. The point of this, it seems to me, is to achieve higher temps so the crust chars and bakes before it has time to dry out. Hence the real pizzeria affect. 

Offline greggw2gs

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2009, 08:42:04 AM »
NY pizzastriver the Big Green Egg is not a Propane Gas grill it is a Ceramic grill that uses lump coal.  It reaches 700 degrees easy!  Depending on the type of pizza I am making I adjust the temp.  My oven can't get past 550 and its brand new...  Go to biggreenegg.com and you will want on of these grills!  Steaks are seared perfectly and ribs are slow cooked wonderfully.  The conversation we are having here is about positioning the pizza at the right height in the Egg...  Thanks Gregg

Offline greggw2gs

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 08:45:22 AM »
Simon I just looked at your pictures and it looks like you have the XLarge Egg.  Sorry I wish I had noticed that before.  While we have a similar challenege the XLarge egg is even trickier because the coals are a lot closer to the opening of the egg than with the large egg I have.  My friend Pete and Nick both have the XLarge egg and the heat over cooks the bottom before the top in a more drastic way than with mine.  I think the same approach can work though.  I am really liking the brink idea.  I am gonna measure that idea today.

Offline greggw2gs

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2009, 11:08:49 AM »
Simon I have decided to order a new Fibrament 16 1/4" x 3/4" stone and place that ontop of my current stone and plate setter.  I will stop using the little green feet as well.  This I am hoping this will improve my cooking temp balance on the egg.  1) from what I am reading, this stone is far superior to the thin walmart thing I have been using  2) The pizza will be closer to the dome which is what we are trying to accomplish as well 3) there will be essentially three layers of cooking stone between the coals and my pizza.  plate setter, old stone, new stone.  I will report on my success soon...  Gregg

Offline rsimon719

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2009, 12:54:40 PM »
Thanks for all the great replies! The information is very welcomed from others facing the same challenges.

Here's my thought so far. I have some copper spacers to put the pizza stone up higher off the plate setter. This gets it well up into the dome. I am also thinking of adding a second stone on top of the pizza stone to make it thicker. I am thinking by being up in the dome higher it will cook the top faster and the bottom will not be heated as directly by the fire.

Any thoughts?
- Rich

Offline greggw2gs

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2009, 01:10:23 PM »
Simon great idea.  We have the same challenges and together we will solve this...  Let me know how it goes.  You may also want to consider lifting the stobe up ontop of some Fire Bricks.  I think you can get them 1 1/2 inch think.  You could place 4 of them ontop of your plate setter and then your stone on that.  I was researching those this morning but since I am not as impacted as you are I went with the new stone idea....

Offline rsimon719

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2009, 07:06:28 PM »
Okay, Second attempt tonight.

The dough I used was a different recipe though. I used a sourdough formula that was new so I wasn't sure how well it would work out. I mainly wanted to try different cooking setups.

The first way I tried it was having the pizza stone raised 2" above the plate setter on copper spacers and then another pizza stone on top of that.. That setup cooked the top faster than the bottom, so I pulled the second stone out and tried it with just the pizza stone on the copper spacers and here's the results.

I was happy with how it cooked and actually the crust was very nice too. I have two more dough balls in the fridge that I will let go another couple of days to see what happens and then try them out.  :chef:
- Rich

Offline mmarston

• I can stop eating Pizza any time I want!
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2009, 07:57:40 PM »
Lookin good!
How long was the bake and at what temperature.

Michael
Nobody cares if you can't dance well.  Just get up and dance.  Dave Barry

pizzapan