Author Topic: First attempt at using the Big Green Egg for Pizza  (Read 6638 times)

Offline rsimon719

Re: First attempt at using the Big Green Egg for Pizza
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2009, 08:12:28 PM »
Lookin good!
How long was the bake and at what temperature.

Michael

Tasted good! :P

Well.. I know the stone was measuring 600-630 when the pizza went on. The temp of the egg was showing 650. I am not sure what the bake time was because I didn't time it  :-[ I want to say it was close to 5 minutes but possibly a bit longer.
- Rich

Offline mmarston

• I can stop eating Pizza any time I want!
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2009, 08:22:12 PM »
You might want to try a little hotter. I've found 2 minutes at around 800 to be my sweet spot.
But as Jeff V says, watch the pie not the clock.

Michael
Nobody cares if you can't dance well.  Just get up and dance.  Dave Barry

Offline rsimon719

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2009, 08:27:54 PM »
You might want to try a little hotter. I've found 2 minutes at around 800 to be my sweet spot.
But as Jeff V says, watch the pie not the clock.

Michael

I'll be trying some of those higher temps when I am doing some dough with caputo flour. I was concerned that this dough would not be able to stand up to that kind of heat. I have gotten this thing up to 750 but not 800 yet.. Of course it smoked the stock gasket so I replaced it with a fiber gasket and high-temp sealant. That has held up very well and doesn't show any signs of heat damage.  ;D
- Rich

Offline greggw2gs

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2009, 12:16:58 PM »
No that we have the height into the dome figured out I was wondering about Oven Mitts.  I cooked Friday night for some freinds an needed to remove my stone and plate setter and throw some more colas on the fire.  I ruined a pair of standard kitche mitts and they got real hot.  Anyone have a suggestion for some high temp tough mitts?  Thanks Gregg

Offline rsimon719

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2009, 12:20:03 PM »
No that we have the height into the dome figured out I was wondering about Oven Mitts.  I cooked Friday night for some freinds an needed to remove my stone and plate setter and throw some more colas on the fire.  I ruined a pair of standard kitche mitts and they got real hot.  Anyone have a suggestion for some high temp tough mitts?  Thanks Gregg

I use leather welding gloves. They handle the heat no problem and are very high up so the arms are protected also.  :chef:
- Rich

Offline greggw2gs

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2009, 12:28:52 PM »
Thanks Simon...

Offline rsimon719

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2009, 12:53:39 PM »
Thanks Simon...

You're welcome! Just don't have your hair too long on top and watch your eyebrows..  :-[

:-D
- Rich

Offline greggw2gs

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2009, 01:50:26 PM »
HAHAHA!  I have lost hair just looking down the chimmney on my Green Egg...  So the 2" Brass Spacers you sticking with them or upgrading?

Offline rsimon719

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2009, 05:41:19 PM »
HAHAHA!  I have lost hair just looking down the chimmney on my Green Egg...  So the 2" Brass Spacers you sticking with them or upgrading?

I'm liking the 2" spacers.. The ones I found were copper. They were a little too big so I cut them.. They were basical 2" diameter copper couplers that were about 4".. I cut them in 1/2 and that spacing worked great!.. I only needed 3 of them to hold the pizza stone up so there was minimal contact with the plate setter.

Let me know how it works out for you. :)
- Rich

Offline greggw2gs

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2009, 05:42:28 PM »
Simon two thoughts:

1) What about flipping the plate setter over so the high heat of the flame hits much lower rather than directly under the stone?  Just place the stone on the legs?  This really seems like a perfect heat distribution idea which I am gonna try for sure!

2) My gasket is melted as well.  Where did you get the high temp one?.

Thanks Gregg

Offline rsimon719

« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2009, 06:41:09 PM »
Simon two thoughts:

1) What about flipping the plate setter over so the high heat of the flame hits much lower rather than directly under the stone?  Just place the stone on the legs?  This really seems like a perfect heat distribution idea which I am gonna try for sure!

2) My gasket is melted as well.  Where did you get the high temp one?.

Thanks Gregg

Hi Gregg,

I tried your first suggestion aobut flipping the plate setter over. It still didn't accomplish what I wanted and so I got to thinking, what I needed to do was get the pizza stone up closer to the dome where the heat was. By doing that, I was also able to concentrate the heat in a smaller place which worked. I just thought about what a WFO does and when they want to cook the top faster they move it up to the roof of the oven using their peel.

As for the gasket.. I used the Rutland 5/8" tape gasket found on their site here.. http://www.rutland.com/productinfo.php?product_id=35

It has worked out great! I only put it on the bottom as the top doesn't need it. One kit fits the XL just perfect with a little extra.
- Rich

pizzapan