Author Topic: My new oven  (Read 10602 times)

Offline Matthew

Re: My new oven
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2009, 07:33:30 PM »
Matthew,thanks for the PM Thats the cool part, its portable! So you could have done a Saunter tube for each leg right?

There would be no need for that; the stand is extremely heavy duty. The guy that built it said that I could park my car on it. ;)

My oven will be there long after my house which was built in 1976. If you look you can see the conc. slab that your oven is built on, my bad. Plus the 2" board. I assume that is the manufactures recommendations

I'm not sure what the recommendation is as the oven was built in Portugal.  I'm going on Jim Wills' recommendation as he's the master oven builder.  The KFAC insulation board is rated at 1900 degrees F & is to insulate the hearth & will also keep the frost away from the oven floor in the winter.

And Nothing is needed around the shell right? Really Its just a matter of putting the oven on stand and light it up?

I wish!  The exterior of the dome will be wrapped in 3 inches of ceramic blanket as well as an additional 3" of matralite as a castable insulator.  There will be a total of 6" of insulation over top the dome.

Or you have to fish chimney first?

Will the support arch for chimney sit on the raised shelf?

Yes, there will be a 16" x 60" piece of granite on the front Shelf for the landing area.  The vent surround will be built on the front shelf from firebrick & then a form will have to be made to cast the vent.  It will then be vented through a 48" double insulated Stainless Steel Chimney.  Then the exterior will be completed in stucco. [/font][/color]

Keep er goin!
Have you decided on a dough  formulation for the first batch ? or lets get this thing done first.

Perna is right, if they wont sell a single rack .
The cost for Matthews custom stand (Not sure of the labor market where Matt is located) came out substantially less than my block work Not neccesarily material wise but when you add in the time and effort to build up all the courses, mixing clean up... and the slab. I would go with a custom built stand if not going block as he did and you know its the right application,
John
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 07:47:23 PM by Matthew »

Offline Matthew

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2009, 07:13:51 AM »
The stand after I primed it. 

I'm probably going to paint it flat black for now (until I decide how to finish it).  I gotta say; the red primer colour looks pretty cool! ;D

« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 06:27:16 AM by Matthew »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2009, 05:45:13 PM »
I am diggin the red !
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2009, 06:01:24 PM »
I am diggin the red !
Me too.  I like the muted earth tone reminiscent of brick color thing.  Sort of fits in with the whole philosophy.
I just sent away for a new birth certificate (old one fell apart, imagine that) so I can get applied for a proper border crossing document, just in case...
Looks great
Hog

Offline Matthew

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2009, 09:08:09 PM »
Day 1 of Construction. 

Yes, that's a forklift in my backyard. So much for my interlock!! My 2 ton engine crane idea didn't exactly work out.  Thank god my cousin works at United Rentals & was able to have the forklift delivered to me in a couple of hours.  Some of you may recognize or have corresponded via email with the gentleman in the 1st photo.

Frankie G, Canuck Jim asked me to send you his regards.

Matt
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 06:29:41 AM by Matthew »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2009, 11:30:38 AM »
Smelling wood burning soon? awe just a small fire? LOOKS GREAT!
I am thinking all the brick (door opening) gets covered up with the chimney arch system?
Very exciting!!
John

Offline Matthew

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2009, 07:11:48 PM »
Smelling wood burning soon? awe just a small fire? LOOKS GREAT!
I am thinking all the brick (door opening) gets covered up with the chimney arch system?
Very exciting!!
John

You are correct, I am having a stainless plate made to face the front of the vent where the bricks start to taper which will help the vent to draw.   Now it's a waiting game for the Matrilite to fully cure before I can go any further.  It was raining for 2 days straight while we were working on it so I had to get a tent to keep it covered. 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 07:16:01 PM by Matthew »

Offline Chef_Boy-R-Dee

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2009, 07:40:34 AM »
How would you move this when you leave your house...by forklift again????
"Simplicity is Complexity Resolved"

-Constantin Brancusi

Offline Matthew

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2009, 05:58:36 AM »
How would you move this when you leave your house...by forklift again????

Yes. 

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2009, 12:32:36 PM »
Looking good !could you snap a pic of the inside? just curious of the construction. How long to cure the Matrelite? are yuo doing anything with the outside of the igloo or just finishing as is. Looks very cool BTW!
John

Offline Matthew

« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2009, 07:12:49 PM »
Looking good !could you snap a pic of the inside? just curious of the construction.The dome is cast from refractory material.
 How long to cure the Matrelite? About a week, the idea is to let it cure slowly & keep it dry.
are yuo doing anything with the outside of the igloo or just finishing as is.Stucco & granite.
Looks very cool BTW! Thanks
John
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 07:18:03 PM by Matthew »

Offline Franciskay

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2009, 10:49:00 PM »
OH MY GOSH !!!! :) This is just as exciting as the arrival of a new baby !!!!  FUN FUN FUN !  I can hardly wait to see it finished ! I just found this site a short time ago, and I think all you guys who build ovens are just SUPER !  I still bake our pizza in the kitchen oven. All of your photos just make me smile !  Guys give yourselves a "that a boy' on your back!"  All the ovens are just super !  Keep up the good work !

Offline Matthew

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2009, 06:17:32 AM »
OH MY GOSH !!!! :) This is just as exciting as the arrival of a new baby !!!!  FUN FUN FUN !  I can hardly wait to see it finished ! I just found this site a short time ago, and I think all you guys who build ovens are just SUPER !  I still bake our pizza in the kitchen oven. All of your photos just make me smile !  Guys give yourselves a "that a boy' on your back!"  All the ovens are just super !  Keep up the good work !

Thanks for the kind words.  It really is alot of fun, I've learned alot from this whole process.

Matt

Offline fcbuilder

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2009, 04:10:57 PM »
hey matt , awesome oven and great pictures. good luck and have fun making pizzas !! fc

Offline Matthew

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2009, 07:22:05 PM »
hey matt , awesome oven and great pictures. good luck and have fun making pizzas !! fc

Hey Frankie,
Thanks alot man, great to hear from you.  I guess your oven's done by now, how you liking it?

Matt

Offline PETE

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2009, 04:03:33 AM »
Matthew great looking oven, you should be proud. My baby "BRUNO" was just finished.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2009, 05:46:40 AM »
Matthew great looking oven, you should be proud. My baby "BRUNO" was just finished.

Wow; my dream oven; was it built on site? Looks like an Acunto.  Is it going to be for commercial use?

Matthew

Offline fcbuilder

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2009, 11:54:29 AM »
Hey Frankie,
Thanks alot man, great to hear from you.  I guess your oven's done by now, how you liking it?

Matt
   Yes my oven has been done for a while now and it has been a blast making pizzas with it. the oven works great gets up to temp in a hour and holds it good also ,when i check the temp the following morning its at 350 degrees . I have to post some pics . have fun buddy. :-D

Offline Matthew

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2009, 06:28:52 AM »
Well I'm 99% there; Just waiting on a steel vent hood that that I'm having fabricated.  I am very pleased with the ovens overall performance, it's a big oven & is very well insulated so it takes a bit of time to get to temperature.  It hold its temperature really well, after 2 days it was still at 350 degrees.  Below are some pictures of a pizza a due piani that I made last weeked along with som pictures of the oven.

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2009, 08:39:51 AM »
Very nice !!! congratulation !!
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci