Author Topic: Need a formula suggestion please for NY street style in a pan w/kaap  (Read 1387 times)

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
Hey All
Having family in next week and will be making pizza, of course!  My problem is with the kiddies who are at that picky eating stage and will only eat basic NY street style cheese pizza.  In this case I mean:  No charring and little or no browning, no large puffy cornicione, and about medium thickness or less.  To make matters worse, I will not be using a stone for this party (cast iron) and would like to use KAAP.  So a pan formula would be ideal, or I can pick up a screen for these kid friendly pies if it comes to that.  I have never tried to make such a pie and have not found a recipe with this combination of requirements after much searching.
Might anyone be able to point me in the right direction here?
Thanks!
Hog

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Need a formula suggestion please for NY street style in a pan w/kaap
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 04:32:04 PM »
Hog,

Based on what you have presented as requirements, I would ask you to take a look at a Papa Gino's clone pizza. The thread for this clone is at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8167.0.html. The two PG clones I discussed in this thread are at Reply 79 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8167.msg71404.html#msg71404 and at Reply 94 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8167.msg71789.html#msg71789.

The PG pizza is not technically a NY style pizza but it has many of the characteristics of the classic NY style in that the dough includes only flour, water, yeast (IDY) and salt. The finished appearance is also very similar to that of a NY "street slice", with nominal crust coloration and a flat, low overall profile. In one case I used a combination of KABF and semolina flour (which I thought was a great combination) and in the other I used a combination of KABF and vital wheat gluten, and I used a combination of screen and pizza stone, but I don't see any reason why KAAP and a screen only can't be used. It may be possible to modify the dough formulation to be usable with a pan of some sort, but I have not done so with the PG dough formulation to be able to tell you what to expect.

I am personally very fond of the PG clone pizzas. They are also one of the best pizzas I have ever made from the standpoint of the quality of the leftover slices when reheated.

It's entirely up to you, and I only offer up the PG clone pizzas as a possibility, but if you need any help with a formulation, let me know.

Peter

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 09:05:45 PM »
Papa Gino's looks like just what I was looking for, thanks Peter, and yes I would appreciate your help as always!
Are there any changes to your posted formula that you would suggest due to the substitution of KAAP?
I will be picking up a screen but using without a stone, which I am guessing should work at about 475.
Thanks again,
Hog

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 09:46:22 PM »
Hog,

The KAAP is a higher protein all-purpose flour than most competing brands and may work with the hydration values I posted but, to be on the safe side, I think I would lower the hydration value by a percent or two. Since the all-purpose flour is lower in protein than either bread flour or high-gluten flour, you might find that you have to bake the pizzas a bit longer in order to develop more crust color. That may not be an issue if the kids like light-colored crusts.

I might add that after I made the PG clones I referenced, I learned from Papa Gino's that the nutrition data for their pizzas is based on unbaked pizzas, not baked pizzas as I had assumed. That was an important piece of data because I was having a devil of a time trying to get the weights of everything in my clones to match the PG nutrition information. That means next time I make this clone I will reduce the dough weight by about an ounce. I don't think this should matter for your purposes.

Peter

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 10:19:27 PM »
Good info.  I'll prob shave the hydration and drop the TF to 0.09.
Thanks Peter,
Hog

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 08:54:06 AM »
Just wanted to follow up and report the Pete-zza Gino's was a hit.  So much so, that I did not even have a chance to taste test it!  I made this pie first and after cutting it, went right on to the next figuring I would get to it after the kiddies had their fill, only to notice too late a few adults wandering around munching on slices. 
I can say the dough was very smooth and handled beautifully after 2 days in the fridge and stretched with very little effort.  Baked up exactly as hoped and looked just like a NY street type.  Must have tasted like one too as the pickiest kid and adults alike gave it thumbs up.
Oh well, at least I now have a screen so I can try it again sometime for myself...