Author Topic: President Obama eating pizza tonight - Chicago up in arms!  (Read 2856 times)

Offline NY pizzastriver

President Obama eating pizza tonight - Chicago up in arms!
« on: April 10, 2009, 06:47:15 PM »

Obama orders pizza from St. Louis, Chicago miffed

CHICAGO The news is hitting Chicago deep dish pizza makers' eye like a big pizza pie.

President Barack Obama is having 140 people over to the White House Friday night for a some deep-dish pizza St. Louis deep dish pizza.

It seems during his campaign he had pizza from a restaurant called Pi in St. Louis. That's the story Pi assistant manager Lindsey Tornetto tells.

Whatever happened, the restaurant says the owner and his partner packed dough, cheese and pizza pans in their suitcases and flew to Washington.

It all has Marc Malnati owner of 30 Lou Malnati's Pizzarias in the Chicago area shaking his head. He says he likes Obama's economic policy, but thinks the president's pizza policy should change.

source
http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-odd/20090410/Obama.Pizza/

"If God said you can come to heaven now, but you have to stop eating my pizza, you'd stay and finish instead, right?" - Essen1

Offline NY pizzastriver

Re: President Obama eating pizza tonight - Chicago up in arms!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 06:55:32 PM »
Anyone ever eat at "Pi" in St. Louis?

Either way they just got really famous...instantly.

Too bad he didn't eat pizza in Atlanta instead. Varasano would be in Washington now as I'd bet his pies are a lot better. 
"If God said you can come to heaven now, but you have to stop eating my pizza, you'd stay and finish instead, right?" - Essen1

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 07:36:33 PM »
Hmmm....I wonder if this is related to http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8327.msg71803.html#msg71803. That would be a real hoot.

Peter

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 08:14:58 PM »
Hmmm....I wonder if this is related to http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8327.msg71803.html#msg71803. That would be a real hoot.

Peter

Wow, hmmm is right! The "(long story!)" tells us it's something he was very excited about, yet not necessarily willing to divulge. The "well, not an easy option" makes it seem even more likely. The first thing I thought was how will the dough last the trip and wait to be cooked Friday night? The Q he asked here is 5 days before as well, it all fits Watson.

I guess an initial  request to crash at the White House, to use the kitchen and Gladware containers, was denied...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 08:19:01 PM by NY pizzastriver »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 08:21:32 PM »
I did a Google search on the original poster's forum handle, "westadd", along with "Pi", the pizzeria's name, and "pizza" and, guess what?: http://www.forum.stlbites.com/viewtopic.php?p=3446&sid=04b2127cb83f68ec1f94d0b1d0b6bd82#3446.

Peter

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 08:25:31 PM »
See! Great detective work Peter.  ;D

Ok, I predict Obama is really mad at the results. I mean if this guy is asking what to do with dough he has to fly and wait 18 hrs to cook, 5 days before the trip, I see big troubles brewing for the 140 guests.
:o

Obama should have called Peter, or any pro here, who could've whipped up a 20 pound counter rise batch in the hotel suite.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 08:30:00 PM by NY pizzastriver »

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 08:35:21 PM »
Unreal!

One would think Obama would fly him to Washington instead of him having to deal with airlines, airports and longer travel.

Either way, nice work...Holmes and Watson  :chef:
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 08:48:42 PM »
I see big troubles brewing for the 140 guests.

J,

The lunch was today and it looks like they pulled it off: http://www.politico.com/politico44/.

For more detail, see http://obamafoodorama.blogspot.com/2009/04/politics-of-perfect-pi-pizza-guest.html.

I'd be curious to know what, if any, changes Chris Sommers and his crew made to the dough to compensate for fermentation time and altitude.

Peter

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 09:00:46 PM »
Good for him!  :chef:

So Love arranged to have Sommers bring suitcases full of pizza pans, cheese, 20 pounds of dough and three gallons of sauce

Um, I was only guessing it would take 20 pounds of dough, I really have to play the lottery this week!

I guess you guys helped him out, you got a Presidential favor coming as I see it.

Mike,
Thanks! Was Peter's realization though, I just agreed with the tracks he found.

Granted it took me 293 posts to finally contribute something interesting on the forum, but I feel better.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 09:04:20 PM by NY pizzastriver »

Offline mmarston

• I can stop eating Pizza any time I want!
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 09:25:47 PM »
These folks should get some kind of "above and beyond" award.
They had to pay their own way and schlep dough on a commercial flight. jeez

There's an old Italian saying that covers things like this... "Do I have to sing and carry the cross?"

Michael
Nobody cares if you can't dance well.  Just get up and dance.  Dave Barry

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 09:37:14 PM »
Michael,

Originally, the folks at Pi offered to send some frozen pizzas to the White House after the election but that was ruled out because of security reasons: http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20271608,00.html. So, the only reliable way left was to show up in person with the goods for the security people and White House chefs to inspect and control from that point on. Politically, I suspect that President Obama would catch a lot of flack if the White House paid for the Pi folks to fly in to D.C.

Peter

Offline mmarston

• I can stop eating Pizza any time I want!
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 07:43:24 AM »
OK so the government shouldn't subsidize long distance pizza delivery to the President.
I think the White House could have at least provided some prep space so they did not have to bring dough.

Michael
Nobody cares if you can't dance well.  Just get up and dance.  Dave Barry

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 07:56:05 AM »
OK so the government shouldn't subsidize long distance pizza delivery to the President.
I think the White House could have at least provided some prep space so they did not have to bring dough.

I agree with that. Kitchen usage would have been nice, even with Secret Service over your shoulder.

Politically, I suspect that President Obama would catch a lot of flack if the White House paid for the Pi folks to fly in to D.C.

True. It would be pretty P.I. if the President paid for pizza from Pi, plus providing a private plane for Pi's people would be too perplexing and pompous to ponder.

I'm just sayin'.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 08:37:51 AM »

Michael,

The timing was such that they would bake the pizzas 18 hours after landing. After getting settled in at their hotel, cleared, transported to the White House with their flour and pans, etc., there may not been long enough for them to replicate and use their regular dough with confidence. They would have to make an "emergency" dough :-D.

Peter

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2009, 08:46:18 AM »
True. It would be pretty P.I. if the President paid for pizza from Pi, plus providing a private plane for Pi's people would be too perplexing and pompous to ponder.

President Obama has already been criticized for his use of planes to fly around for personal reasons, including flying into Chicago with Michelle in February to celebrate Valentine's Day at a favorite Chicago restaurant. He has also been critical of bailout CEO's/execs jetting all over the place on the public's nickel. So, I think he has become more sensitive to plane issues and who's paying.

Peter

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2009, 10:50:53 AM »
Peter, yes I was agreeing with that.

Offline The Slice

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 01:07:54 AM »
I did a Google search on the original poster's forum handle, "westadd", along with "Pi", the pizzeria's name, and "pizza" and, guess what?: http://www.forum.stlbites.com/viewtopic.php?p=3446&sid=04b2127cb83f68ec1f94d0b1d0b6bd82#3446.

Peter

wow.. impressive pete!
As to the comments of them not getting paid etc... The publicity they will get will likely put them off the charts businesswise.

pizzapan