Author Topic: where to buy classico whole peeled tomatoes?  (Read 2027 times)

Offline FeCheF

where to buy classico whole peeled tomatoes?
« on: March 21, 2012, 10:03:59 AM »
It seems only Walmart sells them. All the Walmarts near me dont carry them. Walmart doesnt ship them either. Nearest Walmart that says carries them is 30 miles away. Can anyone tell me how much these cost? Walmarts website says price may vary but i just want to get a rough idea of cost. Can anyone tell me if they taste like the classico crushed tomatoes? I find the classico crushed tomatoes to taste better then most of the SM D.O.P tomatoes i have tried. Just need some opinions if its worth the 60 miles to get a case of them.

Offline dmcavanagh

Re: where to buy classico whole peeled tomatoes?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 12:18:49 PM »
FeCheF

I pay $1.58 a can for those at Walmart. One other local grocery store was carrying Classsico products as a one shot deal, then stopped. I have a couple of cans of the whole tomatoes but haven't tried them yet (I mostly use the crushed or ground). If I get a chance, I'll open a can and try them this week. Will report back and let you know what I think. Ask your local Walmart if they can stock them.

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 01:38:40 PM »
FeCheF

I pay $1.58 a can for those at Walmart. One other local grocery store was carrying Classsico products as a one shot deal, then stopped. I have a couple of cans of the whole tomatoes but haven't tried them yet (I mostly use the crushed or ground). If I get a chance, I'll open a can and try them this week. Will report back and let you know what I think. Ask your local Walmart if they can stock them.

thanks dmc,
$1.58 aint bad. I saw some website list the whole peeled for $3.00 so i wasnt sure if they would be close to same price as the crushed from walmart. I'll probably call the closest walmart that carries them and make sure if they have atleast 1/2 a case before i make the trip. I suppose i could call my local walmart and ask if they can get them but im kinda in need of some whole peeled and i refuse to pay $3.99 to $4.99 for SM DOP's. Last can of cento DOP labeled tomatoes i opened must have had alot of citric acid in it because it tasted like a can of hunts. Ruined my whole pot of chili.

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 09:36:20 PM »
I hope there better then hunts...lol

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 03:30:41 PM »
I can honestly say i dont think i will be buying SM DOPs anymore. :chef:

After draining them i did lose about 4 oz of liquid and probably another 4 oz from squeezing the tomatoes but 20 oz of good tasting tomatoes isnt bad for $1.58

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 04:00:08 PM »
Looks like you beat me to the punch, glad you liked them. How do they compare to the Classico crushed tomatoes (if you have tried them). I know this may sound odd, but I prefer crushed tomatoes to whole tomatoes, and the Classico crushed are a very top notch product. If you do a comparison I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 05:42:47 PM »
I can honestly say i dont think i will be buying SM DOPs anymore. :chef:

Whatever brand of tomatoes you are buying, make sure to shake them near your ear when looking at them. Some cans have noticeably more amounts of sloshing sound (more liquid) than others....even if it is the same brand. Denser packed, more tomatoes is what you are looking for!  :)

I currently have two large cans of tomatoes I am looking forward to using this weekend.....but I can't tell you what type they are.  ;)
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 06:47:52 PM »
 Are they "secretly sources" like Paulie Gee uses?  ???

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 08:15:45 PM »
Are they "secretly sources" like Paulie Gee uses?  ???

Possibly......

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 11:56:24 AM »
Looks like you beat me to the punch, glad you liked them. How do they compare to the Classico crushed tomatoes (if you have tried them). I know this may sound odd, but I prefer crushed tomatoes to whole tomatoes, and the Classico crushed are a very top notch product. If you do a comparison I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Yes i use the crushed alot. The crushed are sweeter in flavor and richer in color. But the whole peeled are still very good and better then some of the SM DOPs ive tried. So for $1.58 i will be using these whole tomatoes from now on. I am still going to use the crushed for my pizza's. But for my chili and rustic pasta gravy i will be using classico whole peeled.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 01:42:27 PM »
Yes i use the crushed alot. The crushed are sweeter in flavor and richer in color. But the whole peeled are still very good and better then some of the SM DOPs ive tried. .

I don't think enough people are aware of the fact that "good" crushed tomatoes are indeed sweeter and richer in color then whole tomatoes. I only use crushed or ground on pizza. I realize that the Neapolitan crowd adores their whole tomatoes  so be it. :angel:

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 02:44:56 PM »
I realize that the Neapolitan crowd adores their whole tomatoes  so be it. :angel:

When im in the mood for a neapolitan or margherita pizza i use fresh tomatoes from local farmers markets. I really only see using canned whole tomatoes if your going to chop them up and quickly toss them in a frying pan with some chopped garlic, fresh chopped basil, and good olive oil. Or chop them up and throw them in your chili pot at the last 10 to 15 minutes of your simmer.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 08:42:21 PM »
I don't think enough people are aware of the fact that "good" crushed tomatoes are indeed sweeter and richer in color then whole tomatoes. I only use crushed or ground on pizza. I realize that the Neapolitan crowd adores their whole tomatoes  so be it. :angel:

That can indeed be true.....it depends on which can of crushed tomatoes you are comparing to canned tomatoes. And what can/brand of canned tomatoes you are comparing too.

A lot of the canned tomatoes are over hyped, IMHO.

A simple can of the regular Cento or the big can of Alta Cucinas are as good or better than most of the San Marzano DOPs I've tried.

And DMC, I just recently tried Sclafani crushed tomatoes I was going to try in a pasta dish I never got around to making on my pizzas.....made for a damned good sauce. I know you like that brand....it's good stuff! --K

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 06:54:10 AM »
I whole heartedly agree Cento and Alta Cucinas are excellent tomatoes. I have to tell this story, recently I was out for dinner at a small Italian restaurant which I love for their sauce. We ate late, so by the time we were finished we were the only people left in the restaurant. I struck up a conversation with our waiter and complimented him on the houses excellent tomato sauce. I told him I was a pizza enthusiast, and I asked him what tomatoes they used to make their sauce. His answer, Alta Cucinas. I've had a can (restaurant size) for over a year which I've never opened. I will now.