Author Topic: Pastorelli's Pizza Sauce  (Read 8735 times)

Offline Witt

• Former Chicago Resident
Pastorelli's Pizza Sauce
« on: April 12, 2009, 05:36:22 PM »
http://www.pastorelli.com/wdk_pas/wcm/content/products/pizza_sauce/icps_15oz/icps_15oz/15oz_italian_chef_pizza_sauce.jsp

I ran across this sauce at the store the other day....tried it....and kinda liked it.  Very rich..thick..almost like a paste..but very tasty.  Anyone else have thoughts about this sauce....or has it been spoken of in the past?

Thanks.

Offline pizzoid

• Lifetime Member
  • A Hideous, Addictive, substance dependency
Re: Pastorelli's Pizza Sauce
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 09:53:50 PM »
http://www.pastorelli.com/wdk_pas/wcm/content/products/pizza_sauce/icps_15oz/icps_15oz/15oz_italian_chef_pizza_sauce.jsp

I ran across this sauce at the store the other day....tried it....and kinda liked it.  Very rich..thick..almost like a paste..but very tasty.  Anyone else have thoughts about this sauce....or has it been spoken of in the past?

Thanks.

I like it and usually keep a few 8 oz. cans on the shelf for "want it NOW" type pizza....

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 10:00:28 PM »
Probably my 3 favorites so far are Don Pepino's, Pastorelli's, and presently have been using Sam's Club Deluxe Pizza Sauce that is packaged for them and can be obtained from their Cafe counter by the case, very good.
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline pwaldman

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 02:50:56 PM »
I've been using the Pastorelli's mixed with 28oz Walmart Crushed Tomato's and some Penzey's Pizza seasoning using a stick blender to a smooth texture....always get great complements on the rich spicy flavor.

Offline Parttimepizzaiolo

• Part-Time Pizzaiolo
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 07:43:29 PM »
I also think Pastorelli's is a great alternative when you don't have time to make fresh.  We've been using it for years.  My kids really like it too.  To hear a 9 year old actually say, "Dad, I really like this pizza sauce." is really something.  Too bad he doesn't say that when he eats my fresh sauce...  :'(

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 06:46:55 AM »
I've used it also as a back up sauce for the "want it now" pie.  I thin it considerably with water as it is quite thick, too thick, actually, for my liking.

Loo
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline ndesimone

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 12:14:03 AM »
I am originally from Chicago, living in California, and have used Pastorelli Pizza Sauce since mid to late 1970's and refuse to use anything else.
When I traveled to Chicago on business I would buy several cases and bring them to California. When I stopped traveling, I had Pastorelli UPS them to me in California, a daughter in Ohio and a son in Arizona.
Running low, I emailed Pastorelli with the intent of placing another UPS order. The young lady told me I can find Pastorelli in Super Targets and in Wal-Marts.
Well, I have been to 4 Targets and 4 Wal-Marts in and around Diamond Bar, CA. where I live and so far have struck out.
Does anybody know where there is a Target or Wal-Mart near Diamond Bar where I can find Pastorelli Pizza sauce before I am forced to go back to UPS delivery.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 01:12:03 AM »
I found them at Coborns Grocery
Jon

Offline Parttimepizzaiolo

• Part-Time Pizzaiolo
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 06:59:20 AM »
We get ours at the local Super Target.

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 05:01:41 PM »
I am originally from Chicago, living in California, and have used Pastorelli Pizza Sauce since mid to late 1970's and refuse to use anything else.
When I traveled to Chicago on business I would buy several cases and bring them to California. When I stopped traveling, I had Pastorelli UPS them to me in California, a daughter in Ohio and a son in Arizona.
Running low, I emailed Pastorelli with the intent of placing another UPS order. The young lady told me I can find Pastorelli in Super Targets and in Wal-Marts.
Well, I have been to 4 Targets and 4 Wal-Marts in and around Diamond Bar, CA. where I live and so far have struck out.
Does anybody know where there is a Target or Wal-Mart near Diamond Bar where I can find Pastorelli Pizza sauce before I am forced to go back to UPS delivery.

I know this is an old discussion but I saw them today at Bristol Farms in Pasadena, lots of cans of it. 

Offline RSuave

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 10:05:33 PM »
I actually heard and read soo many things about this sauce being so great, I was at Cub Foods and picked up 4 cans of it. Right out of the can it tasted acidic and strong, I then made a pizza with it and really did not have a large taste to it. I then added more sauce to another pizza and was too strong I could hardly finish the pizza. Does the sauce not seem strong to you?

Offline debkauz

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 08:52:55 PM »
It's my fav canned sauce.  I got a case of the small cans at Costco for really cheap.  Good stuff!

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 09:13:20 PM »
I tried one can and tossed it out.Nasty taste and after taste.The ingredients sound good,but yuck,there was nothing redeeming about it.

-Bill

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 10:06:15 PM »
Nothing is easier or better then opening a good quality can of crushed tomatoes, season as you like, and spread on your dough. Jarred and canned sauces almost always have added oils and sweeteners which add nothing to the taste . A good can of tomatoes (28oz.) will easily sauce 3-4 pies, and be better and cheaper. Just my 2cents.

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 10:17:18 PM »
Nothing is easier or better then opening a good quality can of crushed tomatoes, season as you like, and spread on your dough. Jarred and canned sauces almost always have added oils and sweeteners which add nothing to the taste . A good can of tomatoes (28oz.) will easily sauce 3-4 pies, and be better and cheaper. Just my 2cents.

I have tried some pretty good cans of crushed tomatoes and I wonder if adding seasoning really is necessary.  Sometimes I feel that just putting the tomato sauce without herbs added is perfect for the pizza. What do you guys think?

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 10:28:37 PM »
Yes, sometimes just some garlic and fresh basil is perfect, depends on my mood.
Jon

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 10:54:15 PM »
Personal choice, no right or wrong. I always associate oregano with pizza, so I always add at least some oregano. Garlic, basil, marjoram are also in the arsenal, but not all are added at all times. Once in a while, straight, unseasoned tomatoes are a nice touch also.

Offline zipp669

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2012, 08:14:41 PM »
My favorite canned sauce.  I add a few things to it to help.  But cant find anything that compares to Pastorelli's.

It is between it and paste sauce on my pizza place I am opening up in April.