Author Topic: Re: My Version of Jeff's NY Recipe  (Read 1281 times)

Offline lob

Re: My Version of Jeff's NY Recipe
« on: May 14, 2009, 01:07:19 AM »
My first Post!

Maybe I'm crazy, but I made a pizza last night following Jeff's NY recipe  ...but because I don't have a mixer, I used an electric egg beater.

Found it really easy since the dough starts off as a batter-like consistence, and it's only in the last 3 minutes that flour is added to make it more dough-like.

Also, I don't have a Peel, but I do have a pizza stone. So I turned the oven up as far as it would go and heated the stone on the bottom shelf for about 1 hour as the oven pre-heated.

When I had the pizza dough stretched out and "ready to go", I (i) opened the oven door, (ii) removed BOTH the oven metal tray and the Pizza Stone, (iii) closed oven door, (iv) threw, using both hands, the stretched dough onto the pizza stone, (v) threw on drained canned tomato (sauce) and mozzarella, (vi) opened oven door and inserted rack back on bottom shelf, (vii) Cooked for about 7 minutes [oven must have been around 500+F]

(viii) placed some shredded basil and a tad rock salt on pizza, and splashed with small amount of olive oil

I thought it was the best pizza I've ever made. Much better than any of the pizzas I've had in Sydney or Canberra (Australia) in recent memory.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 04:36:45 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline lob

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 06:46:08 PM »
Hmmm I actually thought I posted this as a reply under a discussion regarding (expensive) Mixers to make the point that you can do a reasonable job using an egg beater since Jeff's dough recipe as very wet and batter-like. - It's only in the last 3 minutes of mixing when the final 25% of flour is added that it becomes thicker and more dough-like.

..anyways. Can the idea of picking up the stretched dough with your hands and throwing on the pizza stone. The first one I did must have been a fluke. Tried it last night and it was a disaster with the first pizza. (Though still edible.) For the second one (I made 2 last night) I got the dough moving on a chopping board, and then "slid the board away quickly" while it was over the pizza stone [I took the oven tray and the stone out of the oven and placed them on the stove top.] Worked a treat. Be using this technique from now on.

Some Notes:

Just a standard electric egg beater.
Just one attachment (rather than 2) used
Set on lowest speed throughout

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 07:05:46 PM »
lob,

Your method of preparing your pizza on the stone as you described is not as farfetched as you might think. My recollection is that in one of the videos linked at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8463.0.html, Jamie Oliver, the famous British chef, uses a similar method.

I am not sure what an "electric egg beater" is where you live, but I have used an electric hand mixer to get improved hydration of the flour and then using a sturdy spoon and hand kneading to finish the dough. For example, see Reply 30 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3985.msg36489.html#msg36489.

Peter

Offline lob

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 09:28:06 PM »
yeah, it's an electric hand mixer. (The ones you see if you type 'electric hand mixer' under Google Image Search.)

You're right, Jamie Oliver does the same trick. Removes the entire tray from the oven. Using your hands though can be problematic if you're not a expert chef or the dough is very wet (as in Jeff's recipe.) I'd suggest getting the stretched dough moving on a well floured chopping board and just 'slip the board away quickly' while it hovers just above the stone. Yeah, like Oliver shows in the video, place all the ingredients on the pizza after you get it onto the stone.   

I'm no expert. I'm still experimenting. Found the article on Pizza in The NY Times just over a week ago, mentioned recently here, and then stumbelled onto Jeff's website. Until now I've been using the usual BS recipe Jeff says to avoid. Cannot believe all the years I have spent making crap pizza (dry, flat, boring base) on the basis of EVERY fricken recipe book telling variations the same old crap recipe for dough. Not to mention all the needless kneading. And, you cannot good commercial pizza in Australia. We just have the usual American chains, but even the smaller independents are just as bad. (Often, especially in Sydney, you can spot cockroaches crawling everywhere around the store.) The last good commercial Pizza I had was about 3 years ago at Hell's Pizza in Wellington New Zealand.

From now on I'm going to rely more on the internet for recipe ideas. (Done wonders for my home brewing.)

Those Weber Black Egg thingys look really cool. That'll probably be my next project.