Author Topic: Cool Videos !  (Read 4806 times)

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
Cool Videos !
« on: April 15, 2009, 09:16:52 AM »
http://video.libero.it/app/play?id=3fea6481bef75e29d16ffe2f38c615b8
http://video.libero.it/app/play?id=9bb3b012859c0eeb695bc56ae5d3f6c7
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-G8qxQONqA" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-G8qxQONqA</a>

« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 09:50:53 AM by andreguidon »
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Fingerstyle

Re: Cool Videos !
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 09:42:03 AM »
Inspiring!
"... I say we ride some gravity." - Patrick Rizzo http://vimeo.com/1654340

Offline DC8702

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 10:05:43 AM »
Does anyone know if that is pizza dough he is using in the 1st video to make those sandwiches?  If not, what kind of dough is it ?  Those look great! 

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 10:38:14 AM »
Looks very cool!  Now I have to figure out how to cant my Silver King Prep Rail like in the first video.
Those guys have it goin' on like a neckbone!  A lot to learn there.  Thanks!

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 02:25:37 PM »
I really want to try making the O' Vesuvio pie. Definitely on the list for next batch.

Offline mmarston

• I can stop eating Pizza any time I want!
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 04:02:23 PM »
Sweeeet!

Those sandwiches had me drooling.

Michael
Nobody cares if you can't dance well.  Just get up and dance.  Dave Barry

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 05:20:10 PM »
Does anyone know if that is pizza dough he is using in the 1st video to make those sandwiches?  If not, what kind of dough is it ?  Those look great! 

I am pretty certain that the dough used to make the sandwiches is the pizza dough. I have done the same sort of thing but using round pieces of dough, as I discussed at Reply 6 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1385.msg12534/topicseen.html#msg12534.

Peter

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 06:20:45 PM »
those look like pizza dough... just split in half....

bill, really looking forward to trying the vesuvio to.

Offline shango

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 12:36:05 PM »
The sandwiches are called "panouzzo"  They are most famous in the town of Gragnano, just outside of Napoli.  It is pizza dough.
pizza, pizza, pizza

Offline jjerrier2450

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 09:37:38 AM »
I made these sandwiches when I worked with Peppe Miele at Antica in California.  Just get your 5oz dough ball flattened into an oblong shape and toss it in the oven..great sandwiches!

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 03:26:29 PM »
they look great.... its a holiday on Tuesday here in brazil, for sure we will lite up the oven... maybe ill test one of these guys....

Offline artigiano

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 11:18:58 PM »
I still want to be able to slap dough around like that.  I usually let gravity do the work but those slaps and twirls can shape up the pizza pretty quick. 

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 09:57:58 PM »
May fire this weekend just to try the vesuvio
and yes I wanna slap/spin it around like that too
Thanks for the italian you tube! I was there for like a 1/2 hr very cool!
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline artigiano

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 11:46:31 PM »
I tried the old Neapolitan slaparoo a few times but can't get the hang of it.  I don't attempt the technique too much since I usually end up sacrificing a dough ball or just making a piece of bread out of it.  How can I achieve this greatness in handling the dough and whipping it into shape like in the video?

Offline JerryMac

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2009, 12:27:53 AM »
God I wish I could handle dough like that :( :(

Mangia Bene  :chef:
Jerry

Offline artigiano

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2009, 10:55:44 AM »
The neapolitan dough stretching techniques are a subject I haven't seen much discussion on, but would love to get a few basic hints.

Offline aeneas1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2009, 01:30:25 AM »
some thoughts about the videos:

1. in the first vid the sandwich bread he is making is definitely from a pizza dough ball, he simply cuts it in half and reshapes it. interesting to note is the oven spring of the "sandwich" bread despite the fact that he's spends a great deal of time flattening it prior to sliding into the oven. it's been my experience that the same holds true for pizza skins - you really don't have to worry about being careful with them, handling them gently, for fear they will not rise well when they hit the oven. properly risen dough balls will spring when they hit high heat whether they are handled gently or not.

2. when these rolls rise in the oven, as can be seen in the first vid (far left roll), they form a huge void in the middle which makes for an excellent sandwich bread - the crust is very thin, light and crispy, almost pita-style and is surprisingly very different than a pizza skin/crust (especially given that's what was started with) although the flavor remains.

3. in the scene where he is cutting the rolls, they have obviously been set aside to cool for some time - they are just too hot to handle when first removed from the oven and even maintain their high heat for quite a while given the amount of hot steam/air in the pocket. btw it appears that he didn't add olive oil to the rolls prior to baking - using a small amount of oil gives the rolls quite a different look, a more appealing look/color for sandwiches imo.

4. consistent, pronounced leoparding has often been discussed on the board and is something i struggle with daily. a hot oven with a roaring flame is often key but there's obviously much more to it than that - in the second video the oven has the type of flame you would like to see yet his pizzas aren't achieving the type of leoparding one might expect (or hope for) imo.

5. so many fantastic videos out there in cyberspace of neapolitan pizzas being cooked in a wood fire ovens but so few, so very few, shots of the bottom of the pizzas when done. imho lots can be gleaned from looking at shots of a finished pizza but even more can be gleaned by looking at the bottom.

btw i joined the forum towards the end of 2007 and mentioned at the time that i intended to change my cafe's concept to that of neapolitan wood fire pizza. i suggested that it might be a fun/educational forum exercise if i photo-documented the entire process, posted the progress, and during the training phase worked with the publicly discussed recipes forum members had been experimenting with at the time. well that idea went over like a lead balloon!

anyway i'm happy to report that we stayed on course, more importantly on schedule, and completed the changeover at the start of 2008. now, 16 months later, we are still going strong, have had some nice things written about us, and it has been a great deal of fun. so many folks were tremendously helpful but no one was more helpful that the forum's own bill/sfnm. what can you say about bill? i could easily fill a book singing his praises. just an absolutely great person who is, as everyone here already knows, just a tremendous asset to this great forum!

btw i learned something rather interesting during this process: very few (if any) chefs have secrets. i spoke to several very well known owners/operators of highly successful neapolitan pizza operations in the u.s., several of the guys that are discussed here frequently, and each and everyone i spoke with was unbelievably helpful and tremendously generous with their time - every single one. and it finally occurred to me - tiger woods could spend the day explaining how he hits his one wood and, guess what, you're not going to be able to hit your one wood a thing like tiger the following day! the same holds true for these great culinarians - they could spend the day explaining how they achieve their great pizzas and, guess what, you're not going to be able to start turning out anything like their great neapolitans pizzas the following day! the bottom line, something we all know all to well, is there's simply zero substitute for practice, practice, practice. now, tens of thousands of pizzas later, the practicing continues at my cafe - each and every day.

Offline thatguy

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 05:10:04 AM »

in the 1st and 2nd video, is that an iron beam in the oven? is that suppose to help with  generating / retaining heat?  propping the wood up for air circulation?  i've never seen that before  ???
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 12:13:11 AM by thatguy »
one man, no more, no less, on no particular quest...

pizzapan