Author Topic: Best mixer for the money?  (Read 2683 times)

Offline NY pizzastriver

Best mixer for the money?
« on: April 15, 2009, 02:22:47 PM »
Probably been asked before, but here's a multiple choice link, what's your fav!? I'm loving the look of #7.
Thanks, Jim

http://wize.com/mixers/t4992-bread-dough

« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 02:25:22 PM by NY pizzastriver »
"If God said you can come to heaven now, but you have to stop eating my pizza, you'd stay and finish instead, right?" - Essen1

Offline Villa Roma

• In search of the ever elusive leopard spots!
Re: Best mixer for the money?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 02:42:57 PM »
I have a KA K5SS that I've had for 15+ years. I can't kill it, costs about $200 new. I use the spiral hook on mine. I banged off a 5 pound batch of WW pizza dough last week with it!

Villa Roma

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 03:54:01 PM »
Thanks Villa, yeah that one gets good reviews too.

Sorry Peter, I looked through 2 pages of threads in General Pizza Making for a like thread, never even saw this section. Now that I'm here I see all sorts of mixer threads!  :-[

"If God said you can come to heaven now, but you have to stop eating my pizza, you'd stay and finish instead, right?" - Essen1

Offline rsimon719

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 09:11:14 PM »
I have the viking (#3). I really like it and it has tons of power. The attachments are all very high quality stainless too instead of the aluminum most others provide.

Update: OOOps upon further review, that isn't the model I have.. I have the VSM700.. It is a 7 quart version and has a 1000 watt motor.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 09:15:42 PM by rsimon719 »
- Rich

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 01:07:47 PM »
I have the viking (#3). I really like it and it has tons of power. The attachments are all very high quality stainless too instead of the aluminum most others provide.

Update: OOOps upon further review, that isn't the model I have.. I have the VSM700.. It is a 7 quart version and has a 1000 watt motor.

Man I'd already ordered #3 before you updated it!  >:( Now I'm stuck with a piece of garbage mixer that no one knows anything about! This is an absolute disaster. I called to try and cancel my order but the girl said, and I quote, "That model has a no refund policy. Due to several claims of combustion when mixing low hydration doughs it's now an 'as is' item, but we certainly wish you the best". So this is just great. ... Oh, and you do know I'm kidding... I hope.  ;D

I appreciate all the insight very much. Good to get a mix from the people who mix what we mix... and all that.

Peace and love,
Jim
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 01:10:26 PM by NY pizzastriver »

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 01:47:03 PM »
Jim,

I'd look into the Cuisinart. Get in touch with Matthew since he had one prior to the arrival of his Santos. He could give you some tips on it, I suppose.

Combustion of a mixer?? Now that's a good one!  ;D
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline rsimon719

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 02:26:32 PM »
Man I'd already ordered #3 before you updated it!  >:( Now I'm stuck with a piece of garbage mixer that no one knows anything about! This is an absolute disaster. I called to try and cancel my order but the girl said, and I quote, "That model has a no refund policy. Due to several claims of combustion when mixing low hydration doughs it's now an 'as is' item, but we certainly wish you the best". So this is just great. ... Oh, and you do know I'm kidding... I hope.  ;D

I appreciate all the insight very much. Good to get a mix from the people who mix what we mix... and all that.

Peace and love,
Jim

:-D LMAO!
- Rich

Offline Fingerstyle

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 03:22:21 PM »
I have a KA pro 6 which I haven't had any trouble with, despite lots of heavy use. I do wish it could take a spiral hook though. If I were flush I'd get a used Hobart 30 - now that's a machine!
"... I say we ride some gravity." - Patrick Rizzo

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, Whiskey, Freedom n' Pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 03:29:08 PM »
I have a KA pro 6 which I haven't had any trouble with, despite lots of heavy use. I do wish it could take a spiral hook though. If I were flush I'd get a used Hobart 30 - now that's a machine!
My Pro600 came with a spiral hook.

I love mine! Major upgrade from the KitchenAid Artisan I had before it.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

pizzapan