Author Topic: Advice of Pizza Dough Recipe sought  (Read 929 times)

Offline Rock808

Advice of Pizza Dough Recipe sought
« on: April 15, 2009, 09:34:08 PM »
Hi all, I've been using the recipe listed here: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Brick-Oven-Pizza-Brooklyn-Style/Detail.aspx  to make a basic New York street type pizza.

I don't have a scale or a mixer, so most of the recipes on this site aren't practicable for me at this time. I bake my pizza in a 16 inch pizza pan with holes on the bottom to let the crust crisp at about 450 degrees. The only differences from the posted recipes  and my dough is that I mix in a half tsp of sugar with the yeast as directed by the Fleischman's package and I don't use oil in the dough, but I coat it with about a tsp of evoo when I put it in the fridge to rise. I use KABF for the flour and usually use the dough 24-36 hours after I make it. One thing I noticed was that when I try to stretch the dough it is very brittle and tears very easily. Its not the like pizzeria dough I am used to seeing. I am wondering if this is because the gluten in the KABF isn't that high. The taste of the dough is good, but I do find it a little sweet. If I don't use the sugar will the dough still rise properly in 24-36 hour cold ferment? My Uncle told me he is getting me some "high gluten flour" soon, and I am wondering if the recipe I have been using will work with this type of flour as well. I am fairly new to the pizza making process and any advice/comments is much appreciated, thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 09:39:06 PM by Rock808 »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Advice of Pizza Dough Recipe sought
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 10:20:55 PM »
Rock808,

I looked at the metric version of the recipe you used in order better to analyze it. That version is:

4 g active dry yeast
60 ml warm water
235 ml cold water
6 g salt
410 g bread flour

Using the expanded dough calculating tool at http://www.pizzamaking.com/expanded_calculator.html, I converted the above recipe to baker's percent format as follows:

Flour (100%):
Water (71.9511%):
ADY (0.9756%):
Salt (1.46341%):
Total (174.39011%):
410 g  |  14.46 oz | 0.9 lbs
295 g  |  10.41 oz | 0.65 lbs
4 g | 0.14 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.06 tsp | 0.35 tbsp
6 g | 0.21 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.07 tsp | 0.36 tbsp
715 g | 25.22 oz | 1.58 lbs | TF = N/A

Apart from the high hydration (almost 72%), which most people will find difficult to work with (the dough will be quite wet), I don't see anything out of order with the recipe you used. And there is no reason why you can't use bread flour. A high-gluten flour might be more common for a NYC style dough, but there is nothing wrong with using the bread flour. Where people sometimes experience problems like yours is where they re-shape, re-ball or re-knead the dough before working with it to make a dough skin. That disorients the gluten structure and makes the dough very elastic and difficult to stretch without tears or rips forming. With about 72% hydration and almost 1% ADY, the dough should have been very extensible (stretchy) after 24-36 hours of cold fermentation. In fact, it is possible for the dough to overferment, or be on the verge of overfermenting, by that time, although the addition of sugar might extend that event. But, if it does occur, the dough can again be very difficult to work with without tearing. Usually, the dough is on the wet, slack side and resists drying by adding bench flour. To the extent that the dough can be shaped into a skin and made into the pizza, the crust will often be almost without color and on the chewy/crackery side. Does any of the above sound familiar?

BTW, you don't need to use sugar to make a good NY style dough/pizza. However, if you use the amount of ADY (almost 1%) called for by the recipe you used, you will perhaps want to add some sugar to the dough, perhaps 1-2%, if you want to use a fermentation period of more than two days. Alternatively, you can dramatically reduce the amount of ADY, to about a third or half its current value. You can also add some oil to the dough, which is often done with NY street style pizzas. Around 1-3% oil is quite common.

For newbies who are interested in the NY style, I often suggest that they read the following thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2223.0.html. That thread discusses the use of a stand mixer to make the dough but toward the end there is a post that offers instructions and tips for hand kneading.

Peter

Offline Rock808

Re: Advice of Pizza Dough Recipe sought
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 11:53:05 PM »
Thanks a lot Pete for the advice, I've read other posts by you and you really seem to know your stuff. The way you described the dough does sound familiar. It was very wet and slack and did tear easily. However, it did stretch well otherwise and did have a decent color/texture when cooked. I will try using a lower hydration and less ADY next time and see if that works out better.