Author Topic: My first success with Pete-zza/Lehmann  (Read 966 times)

Offline SausageManDeluxe

My first success with Pete-zza/Lehmann
« on: April 13, 2009, 08:49:59 PM »
My KA Pro 600 came last week, and the first pie I tried was Pete-zza's NY recipe, having done them 4-5 times before by hand. I was baking for a friend this past weekend using Pete-zza's 12" recipe, with the addition of 1 teaspoon of brown sugar & KA bread flour in place of the KASL.

Lehmann recipe for one 12-inch pizza
Flour (100%), KASL high-gluten, 7.15 oz. (1 1/2 c. plus 2 T.)
Water (63%), 4.50 oz. (between 1/2 c. and 5/8 c.)
Salt (1.75%), 0.13 oz. (a bit over 5/8 t.)
Oil (1%), 0.07 oz. (a bit less than 1/2 t.)
IDY (0.25%), 0.02 oz. (1/6 t., or about 7 pinches between the thumb and forefinger)

It was cold fermented for 26 hours, and rose to room temp. on the counter for 40 minutes. I stretched it onto a 12" screen, topped with pureed San Marzano tomatoes, Trader Joe's mozzarella & their spicy sausage. Baked in a preheated oven for 7 minutes @ 550.

It seems that his oven is not as hot as mine, or I did not preheat it long enough, but I opened the oven door, saw that it was not as brown as I usually have mine @ home and considered leaving it in for another minute, but the tomato sauce & cheese were bubbling and some people on our floor walked by asking themselves, "Wow do you smell that?" I looked at him, he looked at me, and I couldn't let the guy suffer for another minute.

Initial thoughts: it wasn't brown or crispy enough as I liked, but it was fully cooked and the bottom felt leathery.
First bite: very light & airy with a slight chew, similar to a fresh out of the oven sourdough.

It's nowhere near as crispy/crunchy/chewy as some of the pizzas I see the veterans on this board make, but it was a very beautiful pie that I received $5 bucks for lol (I'm a student)  >:D, so I'd like to thank all the contributors on the NY board, because I've learned so much from lurking this past year, especially to Pete-zza the man himself.

SMD

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: My first success with Pete-zza/Lehmann
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 09:11:17 PM »
SMD,

For $5, I think your friend got a very good deal.

Using a pizza screen to bake a NY style pizza will produce a less crispy pizza than one baked on a preheated pizza stone. When using the screen, it is also not necessary to heat the oven as you would preheat a pizza stone, which is typically about an hour or so. When using the screen, you should be able to bake the pizza as soon as the oven temperature reaches about 500+ degrees F. For my oven, that preheat time is about 12-15 minutes. In your case, you might try baking the pizza at a lower temperature but for a longer period of time. That will allow the crust to dry out more and become more crispy and chewy. The cheese might also hold up better at the lower oven temperature.

Peter