Author Topic: Baltimore area pizza  (Read 1229 times)

Offline bphutchins

Baltimore area pizza
« on: April 23, 2009, 05:40:47 PM »
I recently moved to Baltimore from Ohio and am wondering what are some good places to try here?  I've found Ledo's and they are quite good. I've tried a place called 4 seasons and they were horrible. There has to be something unique to the charm city?

Offline Tbombs34

• I Love Pizza!
    • Pies in the Sky (a Pizza Blog)
Re: Baltimore area pizza
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 12:35:36 PM »
Foodwise, Baltimore is most known for its crabs, crabcakes and, to a lesser extent, pit beef.  Being from Maryland and having lived in Baltimore City for the past two years, I can tell you that there is very little in the way of good pizza. 

My first choice for pizza is to make it at home using the tips, recipes and techniques listed on this website.  My first choice for pizzerias is a place in Mount Vernon (a neighborhood north of downtown) called Iggie's Pizza.  They make a Neapolitan-style pizza that is ok.  It's kind of expensive for about an 8-10 inch pie, but it's probably the best option in town.  They have pretty good combinations of toppings and the crust is ok (a little flat and lacking any real char considering it's baked in a wood-fired oven).  I like the place, though, b/c it is BYOB and has a really cool, laid back atmosphere.

Two other places in the city that are worth mentioning are Joe Squared and Zella's.  Joe Squared is in teh Station North neighborhood.  The pizza there is ok.  The toppings are good and the pizzas are baked in MD's only coal fired oven, but these pizzas are not nearly as good as those baked in NYC coal fired ovens.  Nonetheless, the pizza is pretty good and, like Iggie's the atmosphere is great (they have live music most nights).  I haven't been to Zella's, but I've heard that it's pretty good. 

Outside of the city, there is a place called Pizza (not Papa) Johns, which is in Essex.  I haven't been there either, but it is supposed to be pretty good.

Other than the above, there is not a lot of good pizza in Baltimore.  That is one of the reasons why I have started to make my own.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Happy eating!   :chef:

Offline Tbombs34

• I Love Pizza!
    • Pies in the Sky (a Pizza Blog)
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 05:03:01 PM »
I forgot to mention Matthew's Pizza on Eastern Ave. in Highlandtown (a neighborhood east of downtown).  Kind of stupid that I forgot given that it's about a quarter mile from my house.   ???.  Anyway, the pizza here is very unique.  It has a very thick crust, but not in a Chicago deep dish kind of way.  All I can say is try it.  It's really good and unlike pizza I've had anywhere else.

Also, since I last posted, I read about a new coal fired place that opened up in Ellicott City (a suburb southwest of Baltimore City).  It's called Coalfire or Coalfired.  It's gotten mixed reviews based on everything that I've read, but it is definitely on my list of places to try soon given that it has a coal oven.

Offline jhadhar65

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 11:05:27 PM »
I don't know about pizza, but the best cannoli in town are at Vaccaro's in Little Italy.  Once you find a pizza shop you like and get full, go stand in line -probably a long line - at Vaccaro's.  After that, you can wind down the evening with a stroll through the neighborhood and maybe get in on a bocce game or two.  I never fail to visit this area when I'm in Maryland.  One of my favorite places in the US.