Author Topic: Recipe for Clover Bar or Fricanos in Grand Haven, MI?  (Read 6202 times)

Offline marcvanh

Recipe for Clover Bar or Fricanos in Grand Haven, MI?
« on: June 07, 2008, 10:36:45 PM »
Although this is my first post, I am a huge fan of this website and have been making my own pies for several years now. Thanks to you all, I now make killer deep dish and Neapolitan pizzas for my wife and kids.

Having lived in Tampa for the past 6 years, where the pizza is so bad that Pizza Hut was actually voted "best pizza" a few years back, I have really come to appreciate the eleven years I lived in Chicago, and, oddly-enough it may seem, the small town I grew up in - Grand Haven, Michigan.

While everyone knows that Chicago has great pizza, one would have to be a West Michigan native to be familiar with Grand Haven's two amazing pizza joints - Clover Bar and Fricanos. Both of them have fantastic pizza. I only fully realized this years after moving away. Having grown up in a town with two great pizza places, I had nothing else to compare to until I moved away.

I am writing this post to ask if anyone is familiar with either of these places, and if so, have you been able to replicate them? I realize this is a long shot, but you never know. I know people who have worked at these restaurants, and even they were never privy to these closely guarded recipes. My best clue so far is that Clover Bar uses sage in their sauce...

Any knowledge/help appreciated.

Web sites for the restaurants:
cloverbar.com
fricanospizza.com

Offline marcvanh

sage in pizza sauce
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 09:34:22 AM »
Just a quick follow up regarding the use of sage in pizza sauce...

As I mentioned above, my single clue to Clover Bar's sauce is sage. I have not often seen sage as an ingredient in pizza sauce.

Does anyone have any great sauce recipes that include sage?

I should add that Clover Bar's dough and cheese seem very simple. The crust is more brittle than chewy -- almost cracker-like -- and surprisingly flavorless. I would liken it to Jiffy or something :-). The cheese, as well, is pretty basic. It simply tastes like a good quality mozzerella.

The real gem is their sauce. It's not overpowering or complex - it's just very, very good - and it gives their pizza a distinct smell that I just can't pinpoint. You could walk me into that place blindfolded and I would instantly know where I was.

Anyway, again - any help appreciated on sauces with sage as an ingredient.

marcvanh

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
Re: sage in pizza sauce
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 11:33:21 AM »
Does anyone have any great sauce recipes that include sage?

In the generic Italian seasonings bottle I have, it lists the ingredients as: marjoram, thyme, rosemary, savory, sage, oregano, and basil.  I'm sure those are listed in order of predominance by weight, although any seasoning mixture with more thyme than oregano seems a bit alien to me.  In any case, you could just take a sauce recipe you already like and add sage to it in a quantity greater than oregano and less than the first four.  Or if you're inclined as I am to use more oregano and basil than all of those other herbs, just use less sage than any of those others listed.

Offline zalicious

Re: Recipe for Clover Bar or Fricanos in Grand Haven, MI?
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 09:10:18 PM »
Fricanos is where I had my first pizza. My parents would bring the family there weekly up until we moved from the area when I was 11. I can still see & smell the place in my mind; heaven.
Fast forward 40 years... In the last year of his life, my father had been in & out of the hospital a few times for various things. Instead of a get well card, I wanted to get him the best thing I could, a Fricanos pizza, as it was his favorite, & he always asked me if I remembered it. I contacted Fricanos, & they drove 2 of them out to the airport & shipped them to my dad over a 1000 miles away. They were kind enough to enclose a little get well note, too. My father called me in utter amazement when they arrived & he asked me " Do you think they remember me?" My reply, "Of course they do, Daddy." :'(

Offline marcvanh

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 03:30:31 PM »
That was very nice of them! Especially since there is no major airport nearby.

A very touching story.

Offline dianaj

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 10:35:16 PM »
Since I was born and raised in Grand Haven, I grew up on Fricanos and Clover Bar Pizza.  My favorite is Fricanos and Clover Bar is a close second.  I lived in Grand Haven for 58 years and have been in Florida for 5 years now.  We haven't been able to find a decent pizza yet. down here.  We live in the Tampa area and my husband and I would love to have a Fricano's or Clover Bar pizza.  RIGHT NOW!