Author Topic: Fresh Tomato Sauce  (Read 4078 times)

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
Fresh Tomato Sauce
« on: April 27, 2009, 09:57:57 AM »
Hi Guys,

On Saturday Ive decided to try fresh tomato's... the result was amazing, just very fresh taste.

the process was cut a small cross on the top of the tomato's, trow the in bolling water for 2 to 3 minutes, then in ice cold water.... the skin comes right of... chop them, put them in a strainer whit some salt so some of the water is eliminated, process them in a food mill, season them and on the pizza....

check the pics...
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: Fresh Tomato Sauce
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 02:01:11 PM »
 Nice Adre!!
After reading the Frankie G post on San Marzanos The last poster said New Jersey tomatoes were best!
Well guess where I live? Yep NJ. so I can get some great tomatoes and try your proccess .
Thank you for posting !
John
Ps I fired the WFO this weekend with amazing results thanks to all posts I have been ppouring over all winter here! A Little reading makes a big Difference!
I tried the Lavelle San Marzano DOP No taste ! ???
The Rega? Was awsome non dop but italian product, I plan to put up some pics tonight
of those Magic Margheritas!
John again
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 02:42:44 PM »
Nice looking sauce Andre!

Where do you live that you have such red tomatoes in April?

Jeff

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 07:12:35 AM »
thanks guys !

I live in Sao Paulo, Brazil.... the tomatoes are very nice, a tasty !!!! i think ill have nice red tomatoes until august...

John if the tomatoes are really nice there give this a try... so fresh !!! and tasty !! very different from canned.....

and please post results !!!!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 08:45:45 AM »
Thats the plan Andre,
I may even go really green and grow my own! Nothing crazy just a few nice patio planters, to get the wheel turning. Its a nice sight to see them hangin there, glistening red and ripe, waiting for there final pluck from the mother vine.  ;D
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 03:42:24 PM »
Has anyone else tried this lately? I live in NJ as well, but I'm thinking of trying some early girls or ugly heirlooms

And could one make the sauce in bulk, and can some of it? Or does sauce need to be cooked to do that?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 03:53:18 PM by hotsawce »

Offline Bob1

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 04:08:51 PM »
Hotsawce,
I used to do this for years and usually had about 30 plants.  I would suggest getting a paste tomato.  We always went with Burpee Romas.  This gave us enough pasta sauce for the year.  On a scale that large it was a lot of work. 

http://www.burpee.com/product/vegetables/tomatoes/paste+tomatoes/tomato+roma+vf+-+1+pkt.+%28125+seeds%29+roma+vf+tomato.do

Bob

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 04:32:13 PM »
Did you only jar pasta sauce that had been cooked, or can you make batches of uncooked pizza sauce and store?

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 05:03:56 PM »
I am going to be growing some tomatoes when the weather gets better, along with basil, oregano, and marjoram.

Offline Bob1

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 05:52:28 PM »
Hotsawce,
We used to wash, quarter, and then run them through the puree machine.  We then boiled that down which does take a while.  My mother used to can them but we froze them.  You can then take that product out and use for meat sauce or pizza sauce.  We cook our pasta sauce with meat for three hours.  If you wanted to, you could add your seasonings and freeze the same day. It was just too much work for our process.  You do start to loose quality with each step.  Tomatoes contain a lot of water that is why you really need a good paste tomato to give you body.  Even with past tomatoes the density varies. 

Brickstone,
Herbs are the easiest to grow, in fact its hard to not get great results.

Bob

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 06:00:17 PM »
I'm getting kind of lost.

I wouldn't want to jar anything except fresh pizza sauce, which I don't cook before it goes on a pie.

Could one basically peel the tomatoes, grind em down to a fresh, uncooked "sauce" like andre's, and then jar it to use at another time, or would it have to be cooked before being jarred to hold up?

Forgive my persistence, but I know squat about jarring  :-\

Offline Bob1

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 06:21:07 PM »
Hotsawce,
In my opinion I always had to cook to reduce them.  I guess you could cut them and try to drain the water out but the meat would still have a substantial amount of water.  This water will separate when on a pie, unless short high temps of 750 prevent that.  I believe a product like 6 in 1 and tomato puree are all cooked down to remove moisture.  That is why the San Marzanos contain so much water as other reported.  They usually pack them in a cooked puree.  I would suggest trying a few tomatoes now to see how you like the consistency and then plant what you think best.  If you feel you can get away without reducing them you can definitely freeze that product in a ziplock.

Bob

Offline ninapizza23

• Hap pye faces from Venice
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 10:07:03 PM »
ANDREGUIDON,
try this while you have nice red ripe fresh tomatoes.
In a tray put some ripe tomatoes cut in half(without seeds) face down, add some garlic cloves,olive oil  and roast them in the oven at low temperature like 325-350F. After they are roasted peel them and add some fresh basil.

Offline dms

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 02:58:36 PM »
Hotsawce,
In my opinion I always had to cook to reduce them.  I guess you could cut them and try to drain the water out but the meat would still have a substantial amount of water.  This water will separate when on a pie, unless short high temps of 750 prevent that.  I believe a product like 6 in 1 and tomato puree are all cooked down to remove moisture. 

Most canned tomato products aren't cooked.  Things labeled "paste" and "sauce" are the exception.  If they're peeled, they're peeled with steam, and, of course, canned goods are cooked after the lids are put on to sterilize them.  but they're not cooked down to remove moisture.  Some might be pressed or drained.

But the big determinate for canning tomatoes is variety.  Picking low moisture tomatoes means less  water in the can.  And the big canners have their own proprietary varieties, not usually available on the open market.

Offline Bob1

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 03:29:23 PM »
DMS,
I meant that in respects to the puree that tops the pizza.  It is cooked to be reduced.  The tomatoes are then put in the puree.  That is why the San Marzano are so watery.  I buy a #10 can and separate the puree.  I then run the the whole tomatoes thru a puree machine and then simmer them down by about 1/3 to reach the shipping puree.  Other brands use a good paste tomato and are not as watery but they need to be reduced also.  I have never been able to use ground fresh tomatoes without having them express water.  I would use that same process with garden grown.

Bob

Offline Bob1

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2010, 09:25:56 AM »
I was thinking about fresh tomatoes and I have never tried this, but I do use it for onions, mushrooms, and peppers.  About an hour before I cook the pie I microwave them on high for 1 to 2 minutes.  I then move everything to one side of the plate and put a large knife handle under one side of the plate so the water can run off.  I assume that the cells bust and release their water easier, similar to Red November's MAE method.  I have always had good results with this method and it should work well with tomatoes also.

Bob

Offline Bob1

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 04:56:23 PM »
DMS,
I was hoping you would reply regarding the cooking of canned tomatoes.  I am sure that the puree is cooked and I know the whole tomatoes are not.  I always assumed that the 6 and 1 was cooked a bit to remove water but now I am in doubt after your post.  I just tried the Saporito ground tomatoes with extra thick puree and found them to be great.  Is this product cooked? After looking at Stanislaus's website I wonder.  No matter what there still has to be a dehydrating process to remove the water.

Thanks,

Bob

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2010, 04:56:46 PM »
ninapizza thanks for the idea....

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2010, 06:57:21 PM »
  Is this product cooked? After looking at Stanislaus's website I wonder.  No matter what there still has to be a dehydrating process to remove the water.

Thanks,

Bob

Saporito is definitely cooked, as are almost all canned tomato products.   Some are just cooked down more than others, and even most whole tomatoes are packed in a slightly cooked liquid.    They call the machines that do it "evaporators" but they are basically just cooking at a low temperature for a long time with agitation.   

Offline Bob1

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2010, 07:08:23 PM »
Thanks Scott

Bob

pizzapan