Author Topic: 00 High Gluten  (Read 4272 times)

Offline sumeri

• I Love Pizza!
00 High Gluten
« on: April 28, 2009, 01:37:30 PM »
Does anyone know if any flour mill in North America makes a 00 High Gluten flour?
I am trying to find something that mimics the Italian 00 Manitoba flour with a protein content of around 14% and W of 360-390.
All I'm seeing from US flour makers is high gluten, but none that I can find seems to make a 00 variety.
Also, is there a way of formulating the W since US flour makers do not use that measurement?
Thanks for the help

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: 00 High Gluten
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 01:43:37 PM »
Im pretty sure one of the Guisto's will custom mill it for you (just like they do for Chris Bianco with his 00 grind bread flour). 

Offline sumeri

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 02:11:19 PM »
Great idea, I'm on it.
Thanks

Offline bicster

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 09:45:15 PM »
Great idea, I'm on it.
Thanks

Have you had any luck with this?

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 10:02:26 PM »
Giustos' is based right here in San Francisco and if anyone would like to contact them here's the info:

http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/giustos/contact.d2w/report

I have used their organic bread flour before with great results but unfortunately not many stores here carry it, for some reason. I guess I could always pick some up directly at their location.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 10:04:04 PM by Essen1 »
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 12:13:48 AM »
I actually don't know if that Giusto is the one you want for the custom milling.   From what I have heard Keith Giusto is really the one you want to talk to.  Try http://www.centralmilling.com/   It certainly wouldn't hurt to try both, though.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 12:32:53 AM »
Scotty,

Could it be that we're talking about two different Giusto's here?  ???
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 12:52:31 AM »
Yes we are!  From what I am lead to believe Keith is the guy you want working on your flour.  I hope I am not going to offend anyone that might read this, but apparently he is the real mastermind behind the quality of the flour that has helped to put his family flour milling business on the map, and also happens to be one of the best bakers in the world.   He has split from his family to continue his work on his own with central milling.   
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 01:04:01 AM by scott r »

Offline bicster

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 09:13:23 AM »
Yes we are!  From what I am lead to believe Keith is the guy you want working on your flour.  I hope I am not going to offend anyone that might read this, but apparently he is the real mastermind behind the quality of the flour that has helped to put his family flour milling business on the map, and also happens to be one of the best bakers in the world.   He has split from his family to continue his work on his own with central milling.   

Ive heard the same, save for him being one of the best bakers in the world.  Not saying he isnt, just never heard that.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 01:36:43 PM »
Scotty,

I found this little piece on the Giusto family and Keith in particular. It's quite interesting:

http://www.metroactive.com/papers/sonoma/06.02.04/dining-0423.html

Stop one: Full Circle Baking Company, Penngrove

Keith Giusto is a flour fanatic. He lives, breathes and dreams about the stuff, as you quickly realize when he starts talking passionately about his personal legion of wheat farmers. The photo album of his agricultural buddies only reinforces the notion that this is a man on a singular mission: to bake bread.

Part-owner of one of the largest organic grain mills in the West (located in Logan, Utah), Giusto is totally invested in his bread, from the germination of specially selected wheat varieties to his 15-year-old Zinfandel grape sourdough starter. The third generation baker and flour producer recently broke with his South San Francisco family to start his own bread-baking company in Penngrove. Though Giusto says it was fairly amicable, he describes himself as an artist who couldn't worry more about the bottom line than he could about his beloved bread.

Giusto bakes fresh loaves every morning using flours created to his exact specifications. But the loaf to covet is his crispy, crunchy sourdough, which won a James Beard Award in 1996--sort of like the Academy Award of food. Though Giusto also sells on Wednesday and Saturday at the Santa Rosa farmers market, his Penngrove bakery and deli offers Italian meats and sandwiches. Our favorite was a crunchy baguette of sourdough with imported olive oil, balsamic vinegar, fresh mozzarella and basil.

Think you can bake like the pros? Giusto is glad to share his flour--just bring your own bag and prepare to be in the company of such devotees as Acme Breads, Amy's and Whole Foods. Full Circle Baking Company, 10151 Main St., Penngrove. 707.794.9445.

Seems like Keith's family is still operating the Giusto flour company here in SF.
Mike

Offline markostello

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 02:00:24 PM »
I'm just trying to find the "00" flour to start out with... is this type of flour widely available, or should i look in specialty stores/gourmet grocers.

????

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 02:06:30 PM »
I'm just trying to find the "00" flour to start out with... is this type of flour widely available, or should i look in specialty stores/gourmet grocers.

markostello,

A few years ago, it was hard to find 00 flours but they have become much more widely available since then, both in specialty food stores and online. You might want to take a look at the Resources board of the forum at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/board,46.0.html for potential sources or leads.

Peter

Offline Marcel DeGrosse

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 12:02:05 PM »
Does anyone know if any flour mill in North America makes a 00 High Gluten flour?
I am trying to find something that mimics the Italian 00 Manitoba flour with a protein content of around 14% and W of 360-390.
All I'm seeing from US flour makers is high gluten, but none that I can find seems to make a 00 variety.
Also, is there a way of formulating the W since US flour makers do not use that measurement?
Thanks for the help

pizzapan