Author Topic: Cornmeal vs flour......metal vs wooden pizza peel.....  (Read 4550 times)

Offline Crusty

• It's all about CRUST
Cornmeal vs flour......metal vs wooden pizza peel.....
« on: February 07, 2005, 11:00:26 PM »
I use flour vs cornmeal because the cornmeal makes the bottom of my pizza yellow and the flour makes it dusty and perfect.  Also, I assemble the pizza on a wooden peel (with flour) and slide onto the stone.  When finished I remove the pizza with the metal peel.  The wooden peel provides a more yielding surface for gliding into the oven than the metal peel. When the pizza is ready I use the metal peel as this does not stress the wood with the heat.

Any other thoughts?

Crustry

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
Re: Cornmeal vs flour......metal vs wooden pizza peel.....
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 11:05:39 PM »
Hi Crusty,

I also use a wooden peel, but would love another one....... I don't find my paddle stressed out though because of the heat, but I only use it a few times a week.  I've seen ones at my local pizza places that must be 20 years old and they are used but are in great shape.  I'd like a metal one though they look neat.

I used to use cornmeal with my pizzas, just for the fact that I could put the dough down on the peel, and if I took more than 5 minutes dressing my pizza, it wouldn't stick to the peel....... but the cornmeal makes a BIG mess in the stove... very bad ..... so I stopped using it. ( edit: when that cornmeal stays in the oven and then you bake and bake, it just gets black, and can smoke, and overall just makes a complete mess of the bottom of the stove ( I don't have tiles in my oven, just a 12" pizza stone, so the cornmeal falls to the floor of the oven, and it's just a big hassle to clean later on )

If I leave my dough a little too long on the wooden peel I take a offset spatula ( pastry spatula ) and just go around the bottom of the pizza to loosen it, then into the oven and onto the pizza stone it goes.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2005, 11:08:50 PM by canadianbacon »
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 11:31:01 PM »
Crusty,

I use both my wood and metal peels exactly as you do and use plain old flour to dust the peel (wood). But I also make sure that I have everything I plan to put on the pizza in place and ready to roll when the time comes to dress the pizza. Otherwise, you run the risk of having the dough stick to the peel, especially if there are any thin spots in the dough through which the sauce can migrate onto the peel.

Peter

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2005, 02:20:23 PM »
I use cornmeal because I like the texture it gives, though it does make a mess.

I use a wooden peel to both place and remove the pizza from the oven.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Lars

• Greetings from Venice.
    • Lars in Venice
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2005, 09:26:44 PM »
I use semolina flour on the peel, and it has a similar effect to cornmeal.  I had not considered using regular flour, but if that works, it sounds like a good idea.  The semolina flour seems to help the texture of the bottom of the crust without adding the corn flavor.  I buy semolina flour in a fairly large quanity at my favorite Italian deli - mostly for making pasta, but I also add a bit to the pizza dough.  I like to use it up because it doesn't keep that well, and so putting it on the peel helps me go through it.

pizzapan