Author Topic: Getting big crust bubbles- too much yeast?  (Read 3382 times)

Offline bortz

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Getting big crust bubbles- too much yeast?
« on: February 06, 2005, 02:22:28 PM »
I've got a pretty thin crust going. It's only about 1/8-1/4 in. thick.  About 4 mins into the baking, I'm getting a big bubble here or there in the crust.  I didn't want to upset the bake and pop it with a fork so by the time the pizza was done, it had hardened into a unsightly air pocket  bubble.  My dough recipe calls for 2 tsp. yeast so I'm going to cut it back to 1 tsp. to see if that helps.  The dough recipe is perfect so I'm really hesitant to screw with the percentages.

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
Re: Getting big crust bubbles- too much yeast?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 08:16:13 AM »
Hi Bortz,

Big bubbles like that are looked upon as very favorable up here in Montreal.  Pizza is more european here, and big bubbls are nice.  There's
nothing wrong with them at all.

I could never achieve these bubbles before I put my oven at the highest setting..... so when I did and finally go the bubbles, I realized
I was getting better.

Now, for your "problem" ..... when I was in pastry school we used a little gadget called a "docker" ... the pizza industry uses this also,
so you can quickly roll this over your dough and never get the bubbles you got..... or you could use a fork and do this also, although the fork
doesn't seem to work as well.  The docker has large needles on it, and really makes a large hole, and works well,, but these can set you back a few dollars.

As for the amount of yeast you used, it has less to do with the amount you used, and more to a nice hot oven.  However, try cutting down your
yeast and doing it that way.... hey at least you will save on yeast  ;D it's not that expensive, but still is.

How many times have you done your pizza with the recipe that had the big bubbles ? .... has this only happened once ? or has it happened on
all trials with this recipe ?

anyway that's about it.

Oh, I guess on a technical point: The very large air bubbles are created by moisture that is trapped inside that "air pocket" .... the sudden burst
of heat, expands those air pockets into the bubbles you see, it's a combo of the yeast first creating that pocket, and then the moisture in that pocket and on the lining of the inside of the dough bubble.

anyway hope that helps.

Mark
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 10:08:09 AM »
Pastry school!  Mark you have been holding back on us.
 8)
I like the big bubble too.  the slice with the biggest bubble is the prize slice at our house. 
Try using cool water for your recipe say 70F. go right to the cooler after a limited kneading.  Use no sugar.  Roll out your dough or minimize the edge.

Randy
Randy

Offline bortz

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 11:37:39 AM »
Thanks for the quick responses guys.
This latest pizza that bubbled- I had the oven jacked up as high as I could and I waited until the coil turned off before inserting pizza (as someone on here suggested), so it's as hot as it's ever been before.  The pizza only took about 5 mins. to cook. Now I understand why it bubbled and also that it's not a bad thing.  Knowing this, I will leave my dough recipe alone.  Thanks for enlightening me on this high temp/bubble issue.  On a side note, the house was so warm after baking that the house furnace didn't cycle on for a few hours after baking. So what I'm gaining in electricity costs from running a super hot oven, I'm partially gaining back by my gas furnace not firing as frequently to warm the house here in the cold climate.  Once the A/C comes on in the summer we're talking big electric bill jumps I'm assuming...              :-X

Offline bortz

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2005, 11:40:48 AM »
Pastry school!  Mark you have been holding back on us.
 8)
I like the big bubble too.  the slice with the biggest bubble is the prize slice at our house. 
Try using cool water for your recipe say 70F. go right to the cooler after a limited kneading.  Use no sugar.  Roll out your dough or minimize the edge.

Randy
Randy

Hey Randy,
I use 4 tsps. of sugar with my 3 cups of flour and other ingredients.  I've tried less sugar and the dough just isn't the same.  The 2 tsp. of yeast probably isn't eating all that sugar but it's a dough that's better than the local pizza shops, so I hesitate to screw with the proportions.  The water temp is something I can play with however.
Thanks

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2005, 11:56:03 AM »
bortz,

You didn't indicate what recipe you are using or your technique, but canadianbacon (Mark) indicated a couple of the more common causes of bubbling--too much yeast and an oven that is too hot. From what I have read, bubbling is more common with doughs that are made for same-day use (usually with high amounts of yeast and warm water) where the fermentation is limited. That's one of the reasons that many pizza operators, especially those who specialize in the NY style, have gone to overnight fermentation. Even then, you can still get bubbling if you don't let the dough warm up long enough before shaping. The amount of time you will need will depend on the temperature of the dough when it comes out of the refrigerator and the temperature of the room where you will be shaping the dough. In most cases, if the dough at the time of shaping is above 50 degrees F, you shouldn't have a problem with bubbling. But that's not foolproof, and that is why docking tools have come into existence. If you decide you want to use a docking tool, you may want to look for one with plastic needles. These are less likely to gouge any pans or disks you may use.

You may also want to look at your yeast management, to be sure that you aren't combining water, yeast, salt and sugar all together, or not proofing ADY properly. I understand that these practices can also result in bubbling.

Peter

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2005, 01:29:34 PM »
Bortz, In my favorite recipe I use more suagr than most so I agree with you on flavor.
Come summer time switch to a pizza screen and take the tiles out. No long preheating reguired.

Randy

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2005, 03:30:14 PM »
On some crust I like bubbles (NY/American) on some I don't (PI Thin).

If you don't like them, pop them as you see them.

Like Pete said, same day crust - which is what most recipes around are (but not this site  :) ) - do bubble more.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline bortz

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2005, 06:13:39 PM »
Well, it's not a same day crust. It relaxes overnight in the fridge.  I've noticed that relaxing changes the texture compared to a same day crust.  When I want an even thinner crackery crust, (which I do from time to time to keep the wife happy for her tastes), I do a same day crust with a double rise.  First rise is for 1-2 hrs.  Second rise is on the pan before topping. I work the dough a little less as well, which gives it a little extra crunch when it's done.  That crust has never bubbled but I like the overnight dough a lot better.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2005, 02:16:34 PM »
I like the overnite rise, but sometimes don't want to take the time.

On the bubbling issue I rarely "big" one, but do get some small ones that add texture to the crust.

If your getting it on an overnight rise crust, then it maybe too much yeast or too warm of water.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

pizzainohio

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2005, 10:31:50 PM »
I also like the bubbles (I call them pizza tumors) and wait until they reach a nice size - then pop them at the 3-4 minute mark.  the broiler will then crisp them up.  (cooking in 500F oven with pizza stone, fire bricks scattered around, broiler on and door cracked)  otherwise i've had them fill up fully 1/2 of the pie and be 4 inches high - and push the cheese to the other half.

But if you want to get rid of the bubbles, and a fork is too slow and a roller unavailable - buy a stainless steel bristle brush from the hardware store and poke the crust.  You can get a darn big brush so the job goes quick.  Just don't use the brush from cleaning anything else.