Author Topic: May 2009 Monthly Challenge: "Specialty (Gourmet) Pizzas"  (Read 13439 times)

Offline WestCountry

Re: May 2009 Monthly Challenge: "Specialty (Gourmet) Pizzas"
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2009, 03:24:48 PM »
Avidan- Beautiful pie! I use sourdough yeast also - working great for me.
Welcome to the forum :)

Chris

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2009, 02:38:41 PM »
3 kinds of cheese (WM mozzarella, fresh mozzarella, gran padano)
Tomato sauce
Coppa
Salami
Roasted piquillo peppers
Basil
Olive oil

Offline s00da

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2009, 05:20:48 PM »
Bill, correct me if I'm wrong. Are you improving on the amber color of the crust? or is it just the image?

I see this pie having a deeper amber color that your previous pies.

Offline WestCountry

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2009, 05:35:46 PM »
Bill - That pie is a beauty!

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2009, 07:16:26 PM »
Bill, correct me if I'm wrong. Are you improving on the amber color of the crust? or is it just the image?

I see this pie having a deeper amber color that your previous pies.
I think, for the most part it is the image and I think this image may have a more accurate color rendition than those in the past since I am using a new white balance method. A couple of things:

- You will note two regions in the crust. The upper portion is redder since it had some tomato sauce brushed on it.
- Color accuracy has a lot to do with how well your monitor is calibrated and whether your browser is color-profile aware.
- I am still pretty bad at the whole color thing. My eye needs a lot of work in that area.

Bill/SFNM 

Offline s00da

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2009, 02:46:53 AM »
Bill, regardless of my monitor and browser; I'm comparing this image with your other images and on the same computer and it's relatively different. I can see the upper portion where you might have brushed some sauce lightly...nice touch btw :)

If this image reflects the true color then I recommend you keep using this new method. Your previous pies had some yellowish effect on them. Nonetheless, they all look amazingly delicious  :-D

Offline Chef_Boy-R-Dee

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2009, 07:12:18 AM »
I would have to concur...that pie looks AMAZING Bill!!!
"Simplicity is Complexity Resolved"

-Constantin Brancusi

Offline WestCountry

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2009, 12:33:09 PM »
This month had awesome contributions from folks here. I can't wait to see what June's challenge will be!!!
 :chef:
 :pizza:
 ;D
Chris

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2009, 11:29:50 PM »
Don't have pictures, but some ideas that I have executed.
***Thin crust pizza with 1/3 cornmeal(fine grind), popcorn shrimp, green onions, sauce (Tiger Brand Sauce + tomato puree mix, w/garlic powder), finely diced red pepper, smoked provolone and a little bleu cheese on top.
***Very thick crust(deep dish) liberally sprinkled with olive oil;salami, cappicola, mortadella, large pepperoni slices, olive salad/jardiniere, and mozz. and provolone cheese. (Basically a Muffaletta pizza) .
***Chinese Pizza:Choice of Beef or Pre-cooked chicken, basic crust,bean sprouts, green peppers, red pepper flakes, broccoli(finely cut) ,fresh garlic, light onion, sprinkle of 5-spice powder and light soy under the reg. cheese.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2009, 11:58:42 PM »
Grilled shrimp pizza added tonite, got an hour to go to get under the wire and it's June. Grilled shrimp, caramelized portabella mushrooms, onions and sliced up Canadian bacon fried crispy, BelGioioso mozz, stella mozz,  parmesan reggiano, asiago and cheddar and topped with some fresh sliced tomatoes. One of the top 4 or 5 pies I've made to date. Other than a doughy edge catching on the way in the oven and making a huge mess when I wiggled and the pie jiggled and loosing a quarter of the toppings on the stone and quickly scraping it off and putting it back on the twisted pie dough, re-heating the oven and getting it back in the oven, whew......it turned out really good despite it's less than perfect outcome in the appearance category. Shouldn't have cleaned the oven and stone last nite....doomed.....now it's on clean cycle again :-\ What a mess, on the door, window, hinges and all over the place. Had a bit of a fit and my nice wooden peel I've had for several years took and power dive into the floor....he didn't make it :'( Oh well, off to buy another next week :)
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2009, 02:26:25 PM »
Better late than never:

My interpretation of a pizza inspired by Mike G inspired by Mark Bello:

Lavender honey
Caramelized onion
Teleggio Cheese
White Truffle Oil

Offline esoog