Author Topic: Not just another Pizzeria Bianco article.  (Read 2880 times)

Offline robert40

• I Love Pizza!
Not just another Pizzeria Bianco article.
« on: May 05, 2009, 01:29:21 AM »
 Martha Stewart and Oprah may not be returning. ??? Any thoughts? Or can this be for real?
http://www.gourmet.com/restaurants/2009/05/chris-biancos-pizza-philosophy

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
Re: Not just another Pizzeria Bianco article.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 03:01:45 AM »
Am I the only one missing any reference to Martha Stewart or Oprah in this article?  What do you mean?
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 07:56:56 AM »
no

Offline robert40

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 08:49:56 AM »
Am I the only one missing any reference to Martha Stewart or Oprah in this article?  What do you mean?
Purely my attempt at humor.

“You’re the motherfucker in front,” said Bianco, “controlling the fuckin’ elements, putting the %$# in and out of the oven.”

May be strong words for the ladies and their audience. "Well Martha likely has heard worse." :-D

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 09:47:54 AM »
Well, I got the joke, although I think it was more quizzically esoteric than humorous.

Offline robert40

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 10:49:54 AM »
Okay, I'll withhold all future attempts at humor and approach this discussion in a new light. Honestly though, I wonder if my Oprah analogy is that far from the truth.
I can't say for sure if Oprah's scouts would not have bypassed Pizzeria Bianco if this article was available at the time? Personally I can't stress enough that I took no offense to the language in the article. I mean jeez I've likely read everything written about the man and could not be more a fan. And even drove to Phoenix from NY to visit his restaurant. Yet, I think I would be nieve to believe all Gourmet Magazines readers will feel the same. I mean were talking Gourmet here not Esquire.

I think my 'what were you thinking' moment was based on looking at this article from a business perspective. Why with lines out the door gamble with a David Chang approach now? I'm from the school of if it ain't broke don't fix it and why rock the boat now?

Time will tell as it's anyone's guess. The lines may very well grow longer. Just can't say for sure I would have taken the chance if I were in his shoes and certainly not in a more conservative minded magazine like Gourmet.

Offline Schmid65

• Slowly Learning :)
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 11:23:23 AM »
Imo the man can say what he wants. He makes good pizza and that will keep people coming.

Offline robert40

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 12:05:05 PM »
Imo the man can say what he wants. He makes good pizza and that will keep people coming.
Can't agree more! But the thing is we may be a minority. The success of any restaurant is often built on perception among the obvious things. Unfortunately reality plays a small part in the eyes of the customer not familiar with the industry. PR firms do very well these days presenting an image to the public that the restaurant wishes to create.

In the case of Pizzeria Bianco the image in peoples mind kind of goes like this. You wait in the hot sun for hours, some get frustrated more then others but you know in your heart the reward will be worth it. The door finely opens and as your lead to your table the lone pizza maker nods to you with a greeting and smile. You have a great meal and know this is something special because this man like few cooks from the heart and makes each pie himself. As you leave you stop and thank him for a great time. He smiles warmly and shakes your hand as you think to yourself he is such a modest complete gentleman. Then you go on to tell others how it exceeded your expectations and it was like everything you "ever" read.

See where I'm going? The average customer is not devoted fans like us reading pizza food boards. They likely enjoy a good pizza now and then and read about this place in Phoenix and decide to give it a try.

And that is why I found the article unusual. I think it's strange to tamper with the perception and concept at this point. Intentionally or not there's no need to rebuild the foundation. Ether way it doesn't change my view of Chris Bianco or many of his fans.

Edited to add. Do a Google search now for Pizzeria Bianco. This article is moving through the net like a tornado. I never doubted for a second it wouldn't.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 12:30:31 PM by robert40 »

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 01:00:03 PM »
To paraphrase a line from the M.o.V. - If you prick him, does he not bleed?  It is now out in the open...  Chris Bianco is human.  He doth not speak like a noble simply because he's a regular guy.

Too often, writers will interview and print almost verbatim, warts and all.  To what end?  Because they want to expose their subject for what they are or maybe just trying to write an insightful, edgy piece.  Or they are lazy and lack finesse.  I wasn't there for the interview and we can only get a small inkling of what transpired by reading what the writer chose to include.

Personally, I stood in that line a few years back and ate one of those wonderful pizzas.  It caused me to stick a WFO in my backyard.  I also pepper my speech the GD and MF to the point of embarrassment.

Due to this particular article, I now have even more respect and admiration for the man.  F%$#@ - A, Chris!

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 01:51:48 PM »
Is it just me, or does he take a little jab at Jeff Varasano?

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 02:10:34 PM »
Is it just me, or does he take a little jab at Jeff Varasano?

LOL I caught that too.  And not the first time I've heard a jab at Varasano from a pizza chef/owner.  Although this one being from Bianco, and in print might sting a little.   ;)

The swearing in the article threw me off a little at first, but he said nothing that I haven't said myself a thousand times.  He is just passionate I guess.   ;D

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline robert40

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 02:20:58 PM »
You know what may be a positive thing? If you read things like Yelp or some Phoenix newspapers there are time's PB is lets say, less then embraced by area residents. Always baffled me why but that's another story and pizza never fails to draw strong opinions.

These haters may just very well love him now. :-D

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 06:00:37 PM »
You know what may be a positive thing? If you read things like Yelp or some Phoenix newspapers there are time's PB is lets say, less then embraced by area residents. Always baffled me why but that's another story and pizza never fails to draw strong opinions.

These haters may just very well love him now. :-D

I know, I don't get it.  PB on Yelp only has a 4 star rating... 4 stars?  For what hundreds consider to be the best pizza in the country (or beyond)?  Just haters I guess.. Pissed that they have to wait 2-3 hours to get seated.  There will always be those people who are nothing who think they are special and should be treated as such.  Unfortunately it is only in their own minds.

The other factor is hype I guess.  They have such high expectations (beyond reasonable) and then they don't feel Bianco delivered unless they got pure ambrosia (again, relative to their own minds/taste/opinion) on a plate.  Probably part of the reason Varasano's is getting pissy reviews on Yelp also. 

"In many ways the work of a critic is easy -- we risk very little, yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their
work and themselves to our judgement.  We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read.  But the bitter truth we critics must face is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." - Anton Ego, Ratatouille
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline robert40

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 06:21:27 PM »
I know, I don't get it.  PB on Yelp only has a 4 star rating... 4 stars?  For what hundreds consider to be the best pizza in the country (or beyond)?  Just haters I guess.. Pissed that they have to wait 2-3 hours to get seated.  There will always be those people who are nothing who think they are special and should be treated as such.  Unfortunately it is only in their own minds.

The other factor is hype I guess.  They have such high expectations (beyond reasonable) and then they don't feel Bianco delivered unless they got pure ambrosia (again, relative to their own minds/taste/opinion) on a plate.  Probably part of the reason Varasano's is getting pissy reviews on Yelp also. 

"In many ways the work of a critic is easy -- we risk very little, yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their
work and themselves to our judgement.  We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read.  But the bitter truth we critics must face is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." - Anton Ego, Ratatouille

I have gotten in some heated discussions defending PB on Yelp. See links below. (I would be Robert R)

http://www.yelp.com/topic/phoenix-pizzeria-bianco-seeking-your-opinion

http://www.yelp.com/topic/phoenix-i-have-five-days---what-should-i-absolutely-eat

http://www.yelp.com/topic/phoenix-underwhelmed-by-pizzeria-bianco

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 07:28:07 PM »
I have gotten in some heated discussions defending PB on Yelp. See links below. (I would be Robert R)

http://www.yelp.com/topic/phoenix-pizzeria-bianco-seeking-your-opinion

http://www.yelp.com/topic/phoenix-i-have-five-days---what-should-i-absolutely-eat

http://www.yelp.com/topic/phoenix-underwhelmed-by-pizzeria-bianco

hahaha nice.  took me a while to read through but worth it.  great points.
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline robert40

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 07:31:47 PM »
hahaha nice.  took me a while to read through but worth it.  great points.
If you managed to read through all that I'll owe you a beer sometime in the future. ;D

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2009, 08:17:44 PM »
If you managed to read through all that I'll owe you a beer sometime in the future. ;D

Nice!!
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!